October 09, 2023
2482 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

What Minis Are You Painting?

More
10 Feb 2017 13:44 #243757 by Michael Barnes
Beau (or anyone else who knows)...how do you that extreme line painting on the edges of something like your Eldar flyer? I'm talking about that Tron-like outlining look along the edges of a vehicle. I want to do that with the Gangs of Commoragh stuff, that really dark turquoise with the bright neon highlights. I've seen a couple of tutorials online but none have really satisfied me. Do I paint the edge first and then push the paint up to it to make the line? Or is it better to base the whole thing and then just paint a reaaaalllly straight line along the edge?

I painted Drycha Hamadreth, she turned out nicely. I don't have a pic ready yet. The honeycombs look really good and I mostly just recycled techniques from painting the other Sylvaneth stuff.

Working on Clan Rats right now. It is such a difference going back to the old, smaller figures. They are pretty fun to paint though because they are quite easy to deal with using a super simple base, wash, highlight process. I've got 14 down...26 to go. Did their colors in purple and grey, sort of like those Deadzone rats I did a while back. At first I thought I botched them, I followed Duncan on them but they turned out looking muddy brown. Which is kind of what you want, but the color wasn't there. Did some extra highlight highlighting and that really helped a lot. I stupidly tried to do layering on them, when really what you want to do with a bulk regiment like this is to do more drybrushing than layering.

Really trying to not buy the new Stormcast stuff this week, want to catch up on of the backlog.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2017 13:47 #243758 by san il defanso
I finished my Space Hulk terminators this weekend. I haven't even cleaned the Genestealers yet, let alone primed them, but I think they'll go faster.

More
10 Feb 2017 15:02 #243765 by barrowdown
Are you talking about something like the edge highlighting here (Necron flyer that I was using to learn how to airbrush on)?

If it's along an outer edge, I paint it with the side of the brush running perpendicular to the edge. If it's on an inner edge, I will still attempt the edge if I have a small gap between plates that the brush can fit in. If it is too cramped for that, then yeah, I try and do the tiny line.

I generally paint the base first and then do the edge highlight. I then go back and fix the base if I screwed it up a lot. On very tiny sections like knee pads, I'll paint the edge color and then fill in with the base.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Brewmiester

More
10 Feb 2017 22:21 #243779 by Robert Facepalmer
For quick, razor-thin edge highlights on bigger, blockier things like vehicles or Marines, colored pencils can be useful. Rather than using the point, run the side of the pencil lead along a panel edge and you'll get a nice, crisp line.

It can be a bit of a crap shoot in finding a color that works well as a highlight, and has a bit softer lead that stays where you want it. I am sure colored pencils are like acrylic paints in that the pigment makes a difference in what binder they use. Sometimes I'll just use white or a light grey and glaze things with the Citadel or Secret Weapon washes. As long as there is contrast underneath, a glaze or two will give you the color. Also, Q-tips or clay shapers can smear or smudge the line if you need a gradient or you have a stray mark.

For what it is worth, this is sort of what military modelers do with graphite pencils on treads to give them a worn appearance over weathering. Since I play Iron Warriors, Necrons, and Undivided Chaos Warriors, I started using graphite as a 'cheat' highlight and it just went from there in figuring out where else I could use that idea.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Brewmiester, Hadik

More
11 Feb 2017 16:42 #243790 by Michael Barnes
Thanks y'all!

I tried it with an Incubi Darkness base and did the edges/lines first in Kabalite Green. Doing the lines was easier than expected thanks to a little Lahmian Medium and the W&N brush. It looked good but too dark- wanted that more Neon look. I tried a light drybrush of Hellion Green on the edges, which was both good and bad. Good because it gave the lines a glow effect. Bad because it just looked rough since it's a dry pain not meant for fine highlighting. I thought a wash might blend it a little better but I grabbed Biel-Tan instead of Coelia so the result was way too green- Coelia would have been more blue. It wound up looking too green overall, so I just repainted it all Incubi. Back to one.

I'm going to try again but with a Sybarite Green highlight and Gauss Blaster Green on the edges. Then Coelia.

The other gang I'm doing in the dark yellow with burgundy riders like on the box. That is going to be fun.

More
11 Feb 2017 18:40 - 11 Feb 2017 18:43 #243794 by barrowdown
Yeah, you definitely want to go much brighter than you think you should to get that "electric neon" look. Kolinsky sable and medium/flow-aid definitely help make it a smooth process.

Edit: how are the Edge paints? I've debated getting the whole lineup, but haven't "needed" needed them yet.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2017 18:43 by barrowdown.

More
11 Feb 2017 19:30 #243795 by Michael Barnes
I only have one (Blue Horror) but I like it. It has a really smooth, almost milky consistency. They are all pastel/desaturated colors, really. Easter colors. I think they are probably more medium than pigment. They seem to give you a really bright edge highlight without going to a white.

More
11 Feb 2017 19:36 #243796 by barrowdown
I think that's enough to talk me into getting the set.

More
11 Feb 2017 21:37 - 11 Feb 2017 21:42 #243799 by Michael Barnes
I guess I actually have two, I also have Baharroth Blue.

I was thinking about getting the full set myself when I go to GW Monday...I do not like mixing paints and all of that and these are shades not otherwise available. I'm especially interested in seeing how the Krieg Khaki works on brown and the Flayed One Flesh in a different, non-layer formula.

Also picking up the White Dwarf- has the rules for adding Harlequins to Gangs of Commorragh...Voidweavers and Skyweavers.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2017 21:42 by Michael Barnes.

More
11 Feb 2017 21:54 #243801 by barrowdown
Have you played the game yet? My FLGS has a sale with GW 20% off or more this week and I might grab a copy if it is supposed to be good.

I think Flayed One Flesh is the exact same paint, just moved it over to the wide-release line instead of GW-only. At least, they don't have the Edge version available on the website.

More
12 Feb 2017 00:13 #243806 by Michael Barnes
I haven't, but I will tomorrow night. It looks awesome. The X-Wing plus Necromunda comparisons look pretty accurate, but it is simpler than those games. I really like that the upgrades are just written on a roster and not on 25 cards on your side of the table. Lots of fun GW flavor in the events. The campaign rules are the kind I like- simple!

Models are really good, love the bikes

Terrain is terrible. They should have just done a couple of sprues.

But $46, it's a deal!

More
12 Feb 2017 21:21 #243821 by barrowdown

The paint rack mostly filled up. It works great. I did have to add a piece of cardboard to each shelf with Citadel paints because their name is already fairly low on the short container.

My wife said it looks great and asked me how I thought it looked. I told her my first reaction was disappointment because I wanted it to only be about 2/3 full. I haven't even put up the P3 and small Vallejo bottles because they have nowhere to go. She expressed disbelief that I could ever need more paints.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, hotseatgames, Hadik

More
22 Feb 2017 19:56 - 22 Feb 2017 19:58 #244380 by Michael Barnes
Grey Seer, Doomwheel, Warp Lightning Cannon:

https://flic.kr/p/S8JUjW

The Grey Seer is the best figure I've done so far, I think. Picture of course makes it look messier than it is, but it's cleanly painted, shaded and highlighted. I really like the grey and purple for this army although it has no fluff justification.

You can see the %^!?%#£€+*^ flag on the Doomwheel and how I chickened out and just made it a team color pennant. That was a really fun kit but definitely more advanced. It demonstrates the value of picking out very fine detail.

The cannon was fun too, a little easier. You can't really see them but there are two other crew dudes inside it. It's also one of my favorite pieces to play with- it may be terrifying...or not!
Last edit: 22 Feb 2017 19:58 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, hotseatgames, barrowdown

More
22 Feb 2017 20:10 #244381 by Gary Sax
Those look great!

More
22 Feb 2017 20:29 #244382 by hotseatgames
Incredible pieces!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.539 seconds