October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

What Minis Are You Painting?

More
11 Mar 2017 16:14 #245050 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
I hit a painting funk about a week and a half ago, but I think it has to do more with being busy than with not wanting to paint. Although I still haven't picked up a brush in 10 days or so, and the remaining skaven look at me with their little sad hollow eyes from the shelf.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2017 21:04 #245065 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
I simply got sick painting Space Marines with the same color all the time, so I picked up an available, cheap Ork Boyz box. And boy, these are so much fun to assemble. I want to paint those muscles so much, after painting heaps of armor plates.

I mean, look at this cute little guy....

The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester, SuperflyPete, hotseatgames

More
14 Mar 2017 22:41 #245148 by Dr. Lao

Michael Barnes wrote: BTW, I also applied to run a GW store opening near my house. I seriously doubt anything will come of it, I am pretty sure I could be in the running since I'm actually experienced in games retail unlike 99% of their applicants will be, but there is virtually no way that they will pay me enough to leave my current job. Just did it for fun, really. Who knows, maybe they will make me an offer I can't refuse.

Anything come of it?

More
17 Mar 2017 18:30 #245327 by Michael Barnes
I didn't bother in the end...I didn't want to waste their time because I'm 99% I would have gotten a callback and probably an interview...that would almost certainly lead into a $35k salary plus performance bonuses. Which is...great when you're 25 and single. Not great when you're 41 and have a wife and two kids.

Anyway, I'm am ferrule deep in Daemons of Tzeentch painting. I decided to focus on doing the Daemons first because I completely blundered the Tzaangor Shaman I started and sort of fumbled around with painting Silver Tower Tzaangors as kind of "practice" for the real deal boxes. That skin color the studio pictures have is TOUGH to get. I've seen like 10 different approaches to it and none seem to come out quite right. I'm thinking about just doing Celestra Gray and slapping Guilliman Blue on it!

Pink Horrors came out OK-ish, but there again that studio pink is really hard to pull off. They build it up to Screaming Skull from Fulgrim Pink, which is a HUGE step, IMO, and I think it would only work with an airbrush. NO BEAU, that doesn't mean anything.

Blue Horrors turned out really good though, as did the Brimstone Horrors. I sort of struggled with doing them in a Warpfire style and then...I did something crazy.. I did the suggested Celestra-Coelia Greenshade-Gauss Blaster Green-White Scar sequence but it looked sort of dull. So I got that Waystone Green, one of the technical gem paints, and slapped it on. It looks NUTS. It's like this glowing, obnoxious green. And I mean GREEN. But I love it.

Herald of Tzeentch turned out OK...I wanted to do the moon head, but it just looked too close to Mac Tonight...which is like this alt-right thing now somehow. So I went with the beaky bird instead. It's a stupid model, I don't like it at all, but it's got some good abilities.

Changeling came out really nicely. I love the model, I think it may be my favorite out of the faction. Cool game ability too.

Gaunt Summoner, I followed TWG's tutorial, it came out pretty decent overall. I completely fucked up the feathers on the front. I tried to just do White Scar on them and color them with washes but it just looked a mess. Especially because I thought they needed yellow, which was way out of palette. The tutorial had them in Kalabite Green and Screamer Pink, which just made me think of watermelon so I didn't want to do it. I reneged and did it anyway and it looks better in person than on the video.

I did three Flamers with the blue/purple scheme and my hoodlum Warpfire technique and I put way too much on one of them and it looked INSANE. I laughed at it every time I saw it. So I learned a valuable lesson about applying this stuff in an unsanctioned way- a little goes a LONG way. Because of the consistency of the paint, which is almost like gel, you want to kind of scrape it across the surface and it will stain it that color. It is very apparent when you do it again that it is building up pigment. It will pool, like wash, so you also have to get the brush in there to drag out the puddles.

I'm close to done with the Flaming Chariot of Tzeentch, which has an Exalted Flamer on it. Which also means tons more Warpfire. It looks zany. I though it would be a quick project but it is quite a bit more involved than I thought. You've got to do the Exalted Flamer and his HUGE flames, then you've got to do the chariot disc. And then MORE Warpfire. And then two Screamers. Finally three Blue Horrors.

I just got the Tzeentch Battletome and it is AWESOME. I think it is the coolest book GW has done in while. The art, the fluff, the game content...all of it is TOP NOTCH. There's some really cool, really different modern-ish illustrations that are quite unexpected.

After the Daemons (I think I just have the Magister left), I'll move on to the mortal side...so the Tzaangors, the Kairic Acolytes (30 of 'em), Tzaangor Enlighted (x3), Tzaangor Skyfires (x3), and...that god damned Tzaangor Shaman again.

Beyond that- I've got everything for Swifthawk Agents ready to go now (Spire of Dawn plus some extras, Skycutters, Chariot, Shadow Warriors), but I may break from AOS to do some 40k stuff for Shadow Wars- Genestealer Cults and Tau, specifically.

But then there is also Warhammer Quest...I'm really looking forward to doing the Nurgle stuff...

More
17 Mar 2017 21:04 #245330 by Gary Sax

Michael Barnes wrote: I didn't bother in the end...I didn't want to waste their time because I'm 99% I would have gotten a callback and probably an interview...that would almost certainly lead into a $35k salary plus performance bonuses. Which is...great when you're 25 and single. Not great when you're 41 and have a wife and two kids.

YUP

More
17 Mar 2017 21:23 - 17 Mar 2017 21:23 #245331 by barrowdown
I've heard that Tzeentch battletome and the new Stormcast one along with the Gathering Storm stuff for 40k are some of the best stuff they have done on a while.
Last edit: 17 Mar 2017 21:23 by barrowdown.

More
18 Mar 2017 22:11 #245349 by barrowdown
Barnes, when you reviewed the Infinity: Operation Red Veil, did you assemble all of the minis? Because that Tuareg (Haqqislam sniper) is straight up garbage. The message boards for Infinity seem to agree on its terribleness.

More
18 Mar 2017 22:21 #245350 by Michael Barnes
They are...not great fun to put together. I proxied a couple of them but I think I did that Sniper. You get spoiled on GW, their stuff is SO nice to put together usually...then you get something else and you remember the bad old days when you had to pin everything, use copious green stuff to fill gaps, and all of that.

I have that Stormcast book too, it is also really great...the new books (since Sylvaneth) have really gone up in quality.

What is kind of a miss is the Stormcast Warscroll cards. Seems like an awesome idea...but man, they fumbled. It's pretty much just the exact same entry from the book but put on a large card...which may be 80% empty. And there is no picture of the model. The backs of the cards all have the same illustration. These could have been super useful and great but I don't see any reason to use them over the tablet.

More
18 Mar 2017 23:25 #245353 by barrowdown
I've been okay with the other ones. That Tuareg though, I think it's a CAD where they didn't check to see if could be physically assembled. It technically fits, but nigh impossible to move it in place.

And those Stormcast cards... I cannot believe that made it out of whatever discussion group in which they initially came up with the idea. Like you said, it could have been a great product.

More
20 Mar 2017 17:32 - 20 Mar 2017 17:33 #245423 by blatz
Replied by blatz on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
Got my first Batman Miniatures Game mini done!

*Edit* no idea why it's sideways.
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Mar 2017 17:33 by blatz.

More
20 Mar 2017 20:37 - 20 Mar 2017 20:45 #245426 by Sevej
Again, not painting (yet, have a couple of boyz in WIP), but I had a lot of fun putting these together (aside from spikes poking my fingers).

www.dropbox.com/s/lokicgppetk4stu/warboss%20gang.jpg?raw=1

Really, I look at even the best board game minis (i.e. Blood Rage/Rising Sun), and these look and feel so much better...
Last edit: 20 Mar 2017 20:45 by Sevej.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
21 Mar 2017 10:31 #245450 by metalface13
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester, SuperflyPete, hotseatgames, barrowdown

More
25 Mar 2017 10:29 - 25 Mar 2017 10:30 #245601 by barrowdown
So I finished getting all the Red Veil minis assembled and ready for priming. Of the 15, I am perfectly happy with 11 of them. Two of the others assembled fine, but I wish that I had placed them different on the base. I place the figure sans arms on the base as the first step, so I misjudged how far the mini overhangs when fully assembled.

The other two caused me lots of problems during assembly. Top-knot man just required a lot of green stuff to fill my crappy joins and give me time to position his arms:

The Tuareg was probably the worst mini I have assembled. I ended up cutting a fairly large portion of her left wrist off and then gluing the mini. I filled the gap with green stuff after drying. The mini is very thin, so once primed and painted I think the join will be fairly innocuous though it really stands out when I zoom in.

Last edit: 25 Mar 2017 10:30 by barrowdown.

More
25 Mar 2017 21:23 - 25 Mar 2017 21:30 #245627 by barrowdown
I speed painted a figure today. Well, at least my version of speed painting. I turned on Danny Brown's Atrocity Exhibition and I had to be done when the album finished (about 45 minutes). I did cheat a little as my first whole body wash, I paused to let it dry as there was no area I could work on.

It's one of the Wizkid Unpainted D&D minis they released this week. They are a PVC, but still hold a decent amount of detail. I don't have experience with the current crop of minis-based Kickstarter board games, but I assume the quality is similar. These figures are preprimed with Vallejo primer. The entire mini is coated, though some spots seemed to resist paint more than others. Overall, I am pleased with how it turned out and happy to have finished something.

Last edit: 25 Mar 2017 21:30 by barrowdown.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Columbob, Brewmiester, hotseatgames

More
26 Mar 2017 21:44 - 26 Mar 2017 21:44 #245646 by Sevej
Orky WIP! OHMYGOD I HAD SO MUCH FUN PAINTING MUSCLES!!!

imgur.com/a/2KyXj
Last edit: 26 Mar 2017 21:44 by Sevej.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester, hotseatgames, barrowdown

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.422 seconds