October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

What Minis Are You Painting?

More
23 Jun 2017 18:17 #250362 by Michael Barnes
I also just want to point out that if Blatz keeps posting his awesome looking Batman figures, I might get stupid and pick some of those up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: blatz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2017 10:12 #250397 by blatz
Replied by blatz on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
Michael, those Poxwalkers look amazing. I'd never heard of the shade-only technique but it sounds like fun!

Be careful getting into the Batman game. I started off thinking I was ONLY going to buy into Batman/cops and the Joker gang. That quickly devolved into having to have everything that has anything to do with the rogues gallery. Because Batman.

More
25 Jun 2017 10:23 #250399 by blatz
Replied by blatz on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
Also, the minis are a far cry from the ease of assembly I was used to with Games Workshop stuff. Lots of filing and green stuff. And swearing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
25 Jun 2017 11:37 #250400 by SuperflyPete
Well, I have something interesting to share but despite being painting related it's not miniatures related.

A few weeks ago my two oldest friends came to visit. What ensued was a 4-day bender that devastated the following:
- 4 livers
- 2 bottles of Rabbit Hole
- 2 bottles of Cooper's Craft
- 2 bottles of Pure Kentucky
- 1 bottle of Bernheim's
- 1 bottle of Jim Beam
- 1 bottle of Tito's
- 3 3-3oz flasks of homemade bourbon
- 1 Fender Catalina

Now, that last bit is the subject of this little post. See, my buddy Sid had a birth defect in his stomach which caused him to puke virtually every time he coughed hard. Back in our 20's, whenever he was late, or just being a smart ass, we'd load him a bong hit with a bit of cat hair. He'd yak EVERY TIME. It never got old, and he never realized why. He still doesn't know.

So, he had a stomach surgery that fixed that but created a new issue - he is incapable of vomiting. So, after drinking 20-25 shots a day for 4 days, he started retching (and, inexplicably, laughing at the same time). He dropped my 80's vintage Fender Black Cat and a tuning knob cracked off.

Because the parts are impossible to find, I measured and ordered new tuners. All was well until I realized that the barrels are slightly larger than the holes in the headstock. Well, me being me, instead of buying a reamer of the correct size, I figured that a drill bit I had was only 0.025 smaller and I could press fit them in. So, I clamped a block on the back and drilled them out.

This was an INCONCEIVABLY bad idea. The old wood blew out and the back ended up looking like bullet exit wounds.

After some planning, I got some filler into the gouges and sanded the shit out of them. I didn't go with grain filler after so it's not perfect but it's passable.

So, at this point I had some choices. I could go with a different color on the head, or refinish the entire guitar.l, or match the original. I ended up going with the latter - I got some black lacquer (Ace brand) and some high quality nitro lacquer (Deft brand).

I taped and taped and taped, sanded it all down with 220 then 320 grit to clear it up as best I could, then shot it with 4 thin coats of the black.

Today I'm going to sand it with 600-2000 grit to get it nice and polished, then shoot it with the nitro.

My "Fender Catalina" logo is covered up now, which is fine by me. After the first shot of nitro is done I'm going to commemorate this madness by having my daughter hand paint something on the top and on the back I'm going to have her write "I used to be great, but now I'm just Fihn" (his last name) along with the date of the infraction.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Brewmiester, engineer Al, sornars

More
25 Jun 2017 23:16 #250418 by engineer Al
Wow, I'm impressed by your attitude, Pete. I would be quite beyond words. . .
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
26 Jun 2017 00:22 #250423 by Michael Barnes
Some Citadel model glue and a little Agrax Earthshade and it should be fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
26 Jun 2017 06:02 #250429 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
So, the wifey and little spawn are away for some time with my parents & in laws, so I'm attempting to paint the last of my marines. 28 of them.

The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, barrowdown

More
26 Jun 2017 12:12 #250444 by SuperflyPete

engineer Al wrote: Wow, I'm impressed by your attitude, Pete. I would be quite beyond words. . .

If it meant I could have one more day of hanging with them I'd have tossed all three of the guitars we played into a fire pit.

It's just stuff
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sevej

More
26 Jun 2017 17:53 #250466 by SuperflyPete
This is what 9 coats of black lacquer looks like:

Now I need to wet sand (again) with 2000-6000 grit sandpaper to remove the "orange peel" (a side effect of lacquer). Then I paint with a coat of Deft nitrocellulose, then I paint something cool on it, then I shoot AGAIN, 8 times, with the lacquer.
Attachments:

More
30 Jun 2017 00:31 #250663 by 40 oz
Replied by 40 oz on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
I've been working on Imperial Assault and decided I don't like my lighting situation. Any recommendations on a good lamp? Anyone use a magnifying lamp?

More
30 Jun 2017 04:09 #250664 by Matt Thrower

Michael Barnes wrote: Shucks, I don't know about all that now!

The rest of us do. Most impressive.

More
02 Jul 2017 20:29 #250779 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
Finished 18 of the guys. Need to do 10 more, but I've done most of the basecoat for them.

The next weekend is my last chance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Brewmiester, Hadik, barrowdown

More
07 Jul 2017 11:01 - 07 Jul 2017 11:02 #250968 by san il defanso
I finished the heroes for Silver Tower, so now it's on to the monsters. First up is the Pink Horrors...

I like the look of this guy a lot. This is my first attempt at doing that GW method of basing in one color, then using a lighter one to highlight the raised areas, rather than just messing with a wash. Some of the highlighting here is a little imprecise, but overall I'm quite pleased with the effect. It does normally require a wider variety of paints than I have onhand, but this was a case where I happened to have both Screamer Pink and Pink Horror in my arsenal.

Definitely feel like I leveled up with him. Up until now I've just been basing and using a wash to provide more contrast with details.
Last edit: 07 Jul 2017 11:02 by san il defanso.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, barrowdown, Vlad

More
07 Jul 2017 13:38 #250978 by Michael Barnes
Look at you go, dude! You've come a long way!

A colored wash (like Carroburg Crimson) will smooth out that transition between the base and highlight. After that, you could go one more step and do just an edge highlight if either Pink Horror again or something like Fulgrim Pink.

I did my PHs Screamer Pink/Carroburg Crimson/Emperor's Children/Pink Horror...don't look as clean as yours though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
07 Jul 2017 13:41 - 07 Jul 2017 13:42 #250979 by san il defanso

Michael Barnes wrote: Look at you go, dude! You've come a long way!

A colored wash (like Carroburg Crimson) will smooth out that transition between the base and highlight. After that, you could go one more step and do just an edge highlight if either Pink Horror again or something like Fulgrim Pink.

I did my PHs Screamer Pink/Carroburg Crimson/Emperor's Children/Pink Horror...don't look as clean as yours though.

Thanks very much.

For the Pink Horror, I mixed it with some Lahmian Medium, which smoothed it some. Still, some of the highlights (like the ones on the leg on the right in that picture) are sharper than others. I probably need to keep that moving to prevent the pigment from settling in there too much.

I used Carroburg Crimson on the hands, but that's it.
Last edit: 07 Jul 2017 13:42 by san il defanso.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.438 seconds