October 09, 2023
2296 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

What Minis Are You Painting?

More
24 Jul 2017 14:38 #251592 by Michael Barnes
"Chamon, chamon..."

What are those small scatter pieces? I'm looking for something like those.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2017 15:01 - 24 Jul 2017 15:33 #251593 by Mr. White
It's from the 'Advanced Terrain' line.
www.advancedterrain.com/

This stuff is incredible. I bought the whole unpainted set with the combo deal. It's sort of like tire rubber so it can bend, but keeps its shape and won't break at all. Perfect for playing with the kids where brittle, hard plastic like GW's offerings won't survive. Plus I can just dump it in a bin heroscape style. Again...nothing breaks.
www.advancedterrain.com/collections/terrain

I painted it up using that zenithal technique so it was very quick. Here's how I did it on one of the mage knight towers (Also damn near indestructible for like $20 shipped off the 'Bay). I did the same thing for all the Advanced Terrain.
www.tga.community/forums/topic/10222-pai...mment&comment=109051
Last edit: 24 Jul 2017 15:33 by Mr. White.

More
24 Jul 2017 15:38 #251594 by barrowdown
After months away, I think I am ready to dip my toe back into GW painting. As my unpainted AdMech was literally stressing me out with the thought of painting that much detail, I have decided the Fate of Konor 40k event was a perfect opportunity to start with an easy to paint army. I decided on Craftworld Eldar because I have a big box of unassembled wraith units that I can use to satisfy Weeks 2 (Elite) and 6 (Lord of War) bonus conditions. For my upcoming birthday, my mini-human wanted to get me figures to paint and as she was enamored with the Gundam robots she wanted them to be robots. I carefully described the Eldar Start Collecting box as space faerie robots riding flying motorcycles, which was the coolest thing ever to her. I assembled three of the jet bikes yesterday and will hopefully finish the Farseer and Night Spinner (because the Fire Prism is not very good) tonight.

I am going to do a simple dark blue (armor/vehicles), orange (helmets/stripes/etc), and gray (weapons/equipment) color scheme that I can do quick. I think I will use strong edge highlights to make it pop to compensate for the speed.

More
28 Jul 2017 15:13 #251797 by barrowdown
Here is where my jetbikes stand today:

I am needing to resist my desire to make everything perfect and go for general look. I can always come back and clean it up and add additional touches, but for a tabletop quality figure it looks decent to me. I doubt I will be able to get the Night Spinner completely edge highlighted, but it will still be roughly complete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, san il defanso, hotseatgames, Hadik

More
28 Jul 2017 16:01 #251799 by san il defanso
My painting of Silver Tower continues unabated. Here's the Ogroid Thaumaturge. I always feel like these guys look better in real life than in these pictures, because the lighting is always a little too harsh. Here you can't see the multiple shades of blue that after many attempts I finally managed to blend a little bit, and the shade that makes the tattoos pop is hard to see. The overall effect is that he looks just a little like a demonic version of the Genie from Aladdin. Still, I like him a lot.

The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Hadik, barrowdown

More
28 Jul 2017 16:48 #251801 by Michael Barnes
This Stormtalon is still in progress, about 90% done. I've got to clean up the unevenness of the Macragge Blue. I used the Citadel spray, but it didn't really match up with the pot for some reason so it looks patchy. Overall, I liked painting it and it was pretty easy...I knocked it out REALLY quick, I think it took just about 3 hours for the whole thing. There are some things that I wished that I had taken more time with, but hey, it's tabletop quality and it looks better than a lot of the "well painted" stuff I see on eBay.

www.flickr.com/photos/54116966@N03/shares/t6T2W5

I really don't know why folks fuss so much about doing decals all these different ways with various solutions, fluids, mediums, glazes, etc... I just use water, a brush, and an Exacto and they do just fine.

Now, about those Citadel sprays. I had been reticent because they are STUPIDLY expensive. But I thought I'd try them just for the heck of it with the Dark Imperium stuff so I also have the Death Guard Green. GW is really kind of weird about them...they don't call them primer, there's confusion as to whether or not they can be used to undercoat, are they really just for basecoating, Duncan is talking about how they prime and basecoat in one go, etc...but they seem to work just fine as a primer and basecoat in one. I think they are something like those "paint and primer" combos the big paint companies do. Overall, I've been VERY impressed by their performance and they seem to be a cut above the similar Army Painter stuff. I will say this, the cans are THE BEST EVER. These things have a ridiculous, hair-trigger flow. It REALLY comes out, which is oddly satisfying but it will blow your small base miniatures away. Two passes and you've full got coverage, go back a third to the spots you missed. So I think they're swell, but yeah...$20 a can. That's rough. The stuff also smells WORSE than regular spray. I sprayed some models the other day, about four hours later my wife came home and was asking about the smell and said it smelled like acetone.

On the Ogroid...I know what you mean about the pics (they ALWAYS make everything look worse!) but I can tell you did a really nice job with the blues. It looks like you went with the same tutorial I did. He has a great way to do color blending, it usually requires you do your base colors on both, you have a transition color on each side of the gradient, and then you use a wash or glaze to even it out.

On the sigils...MAN, that was tough. I painted this dude I guess about a year ago and if I knew then what I know now...

Here's the trick for stuff like that. What you want to do- and this is actually pretty hard to do IMO- is paint the inside of the teeny tiny groove WHITE. A layer like White Scar, not Ceramite White. Then you can use a glaze like Guilliman Blue and very carefully lay that into the groove. It will give them that cool glowing effect, which you can enhance by intentionally getting some of the glaze up over the ridge. This is how I do eye lens pretty much 100% of the time now.

Edge highlighting that flame with a little Hellion Green or something like that- a really pale, whitish green- will really pay off. The skull is easy. Agrax Earthshade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hadik, barrowdown

More
28 Jul 2017 16:55 #251802 by san il defanso
Yeah, I painted him in Lothern Blue, Teclis Blue, and Vallejo Navy Blue, then used the Teclis and navy blue with Lahmian Medium to blend it. The challenge was getting enough medium in the paint to make it translucent enough to blend. I got there, but it took a few tries.

More
30 Jul 2017 20:20 #251843 by Hadik
Replied by Hadik on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
What are your favorite quick/cheap/good basing techniques? I've been churning out 40K minis for kill teams without doing any basing. I'd like to do small rocks/rubble and am thinking kitty litter and PVA glue as a start, followed up by diluted grey paint, ink wash, highlight dry brush and seal.

More
31 Jul 2017 05:49 #251849 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
Assemble miniature, sand, and *then* prime black. Single drybrush of an earthy color, then static grass. Paint the rim with bright color that contrasts the rest of the base. Done.

The thing with the bases is you can put a *lot* of work into them. But in my perspective, basing is a great way to enhance your miniature with *minimal* amount of work. I took the minimal approach.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hadik

More
31 Jul 2017 14:24 #251894 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
What I've been doing as of late, is: slap Armageddon Dunes on the base, Agrax Earthshade, and some Tyrant Skull + Longbeard Grey drybrush. Rim with whatever color you like, but use the same one for the whole army for consistency (I use Eshin Grey, per Barnes' suggestion).
Takes about a minute or two of work at most (not counting waiting to dry) and looks great. You can also add some bushes if you're so inclined.
You can do the same thing with Astrogranite + Nuln Oil.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hadik

More
31 Jul 2017 15:09 #251898 by stormseeker75
I'm working through my Blood Bowl set. This is an endeavor. I paint SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

More
24 Aug 2017 02:52 - 24 Aug 2017 02:52 #253030 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
My Drop Pod. 3 week ends amidst taking care a 3yo hell spawn. Only the one on the front. The one in the back I finished painting long time ago.

Last edit: 24 Aug 2017 02:52 by Sevej.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, barrowdown

More
24 Aug 2017 09:25 #253038 by Mr. White
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Gary Sax, Da Bid Dabid, hotseatgames, Sevej, birdman37, barrowdown

More
24 Aug 2017 13:03 #253065 by Da Bid Dabid
Completely awesome looking. Metal recipes?

More
24 Aug 2017 13:08 - 24 Aug 2017 13:09 #253067 by Mr. White
super simple...

Silverish/Iron color: base Ironbreaker, wash with Nuln Oil, highlight with Ironbreaker.
Goldish/bronze trim: base Retributor armor, wash with Reikland Fleshshade, highlight with Retributor

I do all my minis like that. paint a base color, use what looks like an appropriate wash, highlight with that same base color. the washes usually darken the original base color so the same color ends up as a natural highlight to itself.

Won't win any competitions, but it is fast and looks great at arm's length on the tabletop.
Last edit: 24 Aug 2017 13:09 by Mr. White.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.692 seconds