October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

What Minis Are You Painting?

More
23 Sep 2017 14:47 #254665 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic What Minis Are You Painting?

birdman37 wrote: Just finished the Chaos Space Marines and familiar from Assassinorum.

That's four weeks of work (admittedly on/off) right there. This game is going to take me forever to paint up...

Yeah, those guys definitely look like it took you more than 2 hours to paint them. And wait till you get to the assassins...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Brewmiester, birdman37, Hadik

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2017 20:31 #254676 by metalface13
Cheers guys! I'm not quite as satisfied with my Blood Bowl Chaos Renegades yet.

More
24 Sep 2017 14:09 - 24 Sep 2017 14:14 #254712 by Hadik
Replied by Hadik on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
Painting up some guards armor.
drive.google.com/file/d/1CIMlVNN38DZoXHM...-bw/view?usp=sharing

My busted up Chimera is now a mobile heavy weapons platform. I think my son will let me run it as a regular Chimera though..
drive.google.com/file/d/1V45RhMXQbuDB8y0...nog/view?usp=sharing

Picked up this Sentinal on eBay and am camo-ing it.
drive.google.com/file/d/1HVhz-AExwd7vHrN...qEQ/view?usp=sharing
Last edit: 24 Sep 2017 14:14 by Hadik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, barrowdown

More
24 Sep 2017 19:55 #254727 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic What Minis Are You Painting?

Vlad wrote: This is very cool, Sevej. I really like how consistent your army looks, which is no small feat considering there're some models here you've painted like a year ago and others pretty recently.

It wasn't that hard since back then I've put hard ceilling on the techniques to be used. What's difficult is finding new tutorials (GW new gem paints) and resisting them, or pondering on changes such as 32mm base and Primaris marines. I am also in a group of locals who think everything must be NMM-ed and/or with smooth color transition.

More
28 Sep 2017 11:03 #254943 by san il defanso
I am almost completely done with Silver Tower. I just have to finish up the familiars, and base them, and that'll be it.

Except not, because my son accidentally broke the Tenebrael Shard right at the very bottom, which is the sort of break that will never really glue very well. (It's been repaired about three times already.) Rather than futz with it I went ahead and ordered one on the sprue from an eBay seller. So I'm going to have to do that one over again.

More
29 Sep 2017 20:57 #255051 by Vlad
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, san il defanso, Sevej, Hadik, barrowdown

More
05 Oct 2017 21:20 #255273 by Da Bid Dabid
I've learned a lot of painting at this stage of my life compared to the past. With my two young kids finding a night to paint (both availability and energy) has been difficult. Considering how many minis are in this 40k project I think I'm gonna need to find a way to paint the rest a bit quicker than these 5 took. The scheme is so dark that the highlights don't show all that much so sacrificing a little bit for speed prolly won't be a big deal. Maybe like base color and wash and then just do a little tidy up on face... we'll see. Also I'm not a huge fan at the effort and result in painting black so I need to experiment and find a different way to do that. I've included the Prime I hacked up and pieced together, he also will have shoulder pads and a cape added. If anyone has any suggestions for a color that may look good to accent on the cape I'm all ears. Red jumps out as an obvious complimentary color first, but was looking for maybe something a bit different. Despite what seems like complaining I had a lot of fun with these and enjoy the scheme. I think it will look good on the table.

Also I spent some time while doing these on my true miniature love 15mm. I bought some new paints to try out and really enjoyed the Reaper Master Series, for now that will be my go to when I need to pick up more colors. Did the Tanned Skin triad on this figure and the consistency of the paint and finish just feels like it matches my painting style. I THINK I finally figured out a way that isn't completely insane to do a tartan at this scale. Was really happy how the whole mini turned out.

After the new Guard codex drops I'll lock in two 1000 and 1500 point lists and that should kickstart the 40k painting again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Mr. White, Brewmiester, barrowdown, Vlad

More
05 Oct 2017 21:36 #255275 by Michael Barnes
Those look good man...the darkness, you can bring that up if you carefully and judiciously drybrush with a REALLY light color. Like, something you normally would afraid to put on those. Something like Ogryn Camo on that green or Ulthuan Gray on the charcoal color.

I hate painting black. It never looks right. I find that Mechanicus Standard Gray washed with Nuln Oil and no highlight often looks black enough for me.

I'm painting Tyranids his week. The big monsters are a walk in the park. In two days I've painted three. Granted, I just want them to be tabletop quality so it's lots of drybrushing. But I think they look good. Doing the Leviathan colors with a few twists and less red. Pics when they are all done. My Maleceptor looks dope.

Mortarion calls...but I am actually kind of scared to paint him.

More
06 Oct 2017 00:00 #255279 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
Looks great. Not sure how is it in real life, but that's what I call effective painting, especially with the masks.

More
06 Oct 2017 12:50 #255310 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
Definitely. These guys should look very good on the battlefield. I don't think you need to add any highlights, because there will be so many of them, it won't be noticeable.

More
10 Oct 2017 08:01 #255418 by Mr. White
What are folks using to bond Finecast (GW resin) models with?
My P3 superglue isn't doing the trick.

More
10 Oct 2017 08:50 #255425 by Michael Barnes
You have to use something like Gorilla Glue or plain old super glue. P3 and stuff like that doesn't work on resin, it doesn't melt the material together like it does with polystyrene.

More
10 Oct 2017 09:50 #255434 by metalface13
Haven't tried it on finecast but Locktite did the trick on Forge World resin.

More
11 Oct 2017 13:15 #255513 by barrowdown

I am now an award-winning artist. I will expect you will all show me the proper respect and appreciation that my elevated status deserves.

It was for a local benefit art show where they have 300 kindergarten students draw a monster and write a description of the monster. Local people can then apply to participate and are assigned one of the monsters. The monster description was that it loved to eat socks and garbage. I used the garbage part and just used random junk to put it together with some clay. Lots of tyranid pieces for most of the detail. All of the completed pieces are for sale, with a artist defined amount going to the local arts center (minimum 50%, but I sent all of it there). The winning selection earns the kindergarten student a scholarship for art classes at the center.

Honestly, I am very disappointed in what I turned in and think of it as only partially complete. The coloration looks a lot better in person, but there is almost no detailing. The teeth are not even painted a different color! There were numerous legitimate art pieces there of much high caliber than my own, so I would guess the three-dimensional component and vibrant colors just drew the eye. Most of the pieces were two-dimensional (photographs, paintings, drawings, etc.) and mine was brighter than the other physical items. Still, it was a good cause and now I am worthy of worship.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, metalface13, Gary Sax, Mr. White, Da Bid Dabid, Vlad

More
12 Oct 2017 10:22 #255560 by Mr. White
Last night I wanted to see how quickly i could finish a mini - full cycle. This fella took three hours from gluing, to priming, to painting, then basing. Now my Blood Warriors have a new Champion.

The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Brewmiester, hotseatgames, Sevej, birdman37, barrowdown, Vlad

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.560 seconds