October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2689 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

What Minis Are You Painting?

More
28 Jan 2018 13:22 #262374 by Colorcrayons

Michael Barnes wrote: Frostgrave rules are $1.99 on Amazon if you have a Kindle or the Kindle app.

Awesome. I already have a hard copy, but at that price it's worth having an electronic copy to read on a device with a Kindle app. Thanks for the heads up.

@GorillaGrody
I think some of the D20 swinginess disturbs me too. But after playing a few times you learn not to bite off more than you can chew in regards to spells and pushing your luck. It's manageable and it isn't a problem after a bit.

I've gone ahead and ignored the specific models for stuff like npc fauna and used whatever the hell I felt like. 'No ragrets'.

Rangifers are reindeer beastmen. That should be obvious by the name. Duh. ;) XD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2018 14:10 #262377 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
Ever since it was mentioned here on F:AT, I've been playing Frostgrave too. I've been using a combination of Heroscape tiles, MTG: Arena of the Planeswalkers, Dungeon Command, and Dungeon & Dragons Board Game System components. I already own all of it so why not use it. You can proxy everything. It's easy to do. In fact, if you want to see how easy it is, then take a glance at this link to see a spread sheet showing possible proxies for Frostgrave using Dungeon Command & Dungeon & Dragons Board Game System components. boardgamegeek.com/filepage/153231/dd-adv...n-command-miniatures

I want to purchase Frostgrave: Into the Breeding Pits so I can experiment with using the Dungeon & Dragons Board Game System tiles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
28 Jan 2018 14:20 #262380 by Colorcrayons
Have you tried modifying the rules to fit premeasured hex movement? (I.e. one hex equals one inch) Or do you just use the terrain and play as normal?

More
28 Jan 2018 14:40 #262384 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic What Minis Are You Painting?

Colorcrayons wrote: Have you tried modifying the rules to fit premeasured hex movement? (I.e. one hex equals one inch) Or do you just use the terrain and play as normal?

We've played as normal using inches. The only reason we haven't just switched to hexes or spaces (D&D system) is because you can end up with half measures, e.g., moving a second time in a row, jumping, etc. However, I suppose that you could choose to round up or down to convert everything to whole measures to use the hexes or spaces. Have you tried that?

More
28 Jan 2018 15:02 #262387 by Colorcrayons
I'm actually in the middle of conversions right now.

I tried straight up "one inch equals one hex", but unless you play on very large boards, it's not the best. The half measures present a problem, hence converting everything into even number movement on spaces.

So far, Wizard command radius is 3 hexes. If a move or range is odd, then it is rounded down. Seven would be reduced to six for example.

I don't like the half inch second move in this regard anyways, so it is simplifying it and allowing hex movement at the same time. We play a bit free with the measurement anyways, so if out of range by a half inch, then it is counted within range and models or ranged effects are done accordingly.

Line of sight is as normal.

Difficult terrain is unmodified from Heroscape as well, since they essentially work the same without much modification. (Moving to elevation causes reduced movement commensurately)

That's the base I'm working with at the moment. Not much has been wonky about it so far, other than having to create a new chart to show hexes in place of inches for reference.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
29 Jan 2018 08:25 - 29 Jan 2018 13:41 #262423 by Mr. White
On the topic of next minis projects, I'm currently hitting my BB16 Orc Team.

However, as I survey my games and minis, I'm finding that the more cross-compatibility...the better. Life is busy, painting minis takes time and I don't play with unpainted models. Painting a mini that will be used infrequently has me less enthused. With this in mind I've been tailoring my meager game collection to maximium mini effect.

Examples:
AoS Khorne models - these play in AoS/Skirmish, Gorechosen, WHQ titles as adversaries and heroes, Shadespire. - Utility is very high
AoS Ironjawz (future project) - Play in AoS/Skirmish, WHQ titles as heroes, Shadespire, box of three fellwater troggoths puts two in the Ironjawz AoS warband and one in my BB orc team. - Utility is very good
AoS Tzeentch - AoS/Skirmish and WHQ titles. Utility is not as good, but they bring Silver Tower alive.
AoS Flesh Eater Courts - AoS/Skirmish only. Utility is very low. I have a really cool theme idea for these models, but I'm wondering if I should pass on the project as a whole, sell them off, and bring in the Ironjawz. I suppose I could wrap the Sepulchral Guard in as Skirmish allies. In a roundabout, Death as Grand Alliance-way, that would then give this faction a presence in Shadespire and WHQ as there are necromancer and wight king heroes. Currently, no ghouls anywhere but AoS though.

Hell, I went in on Space Hulk once I saw that WD would put out genestealer cult rules. This gives me SH variety, models for a small 40k team (should that happen), and a Necromunda gang (as either genestealer cults if that happens or 'counts as' for Van Saar or Delaque).

So, of the minis games I've kept (WHQ Silver Tower, Shadespire, Space Hulk, AoS, BB) only BB has the single use figs, but BB is a lifetime game for me and I play in a few tourneys a year. These teams will get used. I've just scaled back the number of teams I need in the collection from like 12 to....3.
Last edit: 29 Jan 2018 13:41 by Mr. White.

More
30 Jan 2018 01:22 #262501 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
Not painting, but I'm getting ready on my Witcher-themed Temerian retinue! I'm combining plastic kits for Agincourt for Temerian and WotR mercenaries for mercenaries. The rules will be using Lion Rampant, which is simple but really makes me want to collect stuff. The retinue will be composed of:

Two groups of levies, each 12 models, armed with spears mostly. One comes from Vizima, the capital city, and covered with Temerian colors (white/blue), the other hails from Mahakam mountain region (yellow/blue)..
One group of serjeants, 12 models, armed with bardiches, swords, and pavises. These are professional soldiers, so will be in white/blue colors.
One group of mounted knights, 6 models. Knights of Temeria, will be painted in individual knight's colors.
One group of mercenary crossbowmen, will be painted purple/yellow scheme.
One gorup of mercenary serjeant with pikes, witll be painted purple/yellow scheme.

Really excited for this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, birdman37, stoic, barrowdown, Vlad

More
03 Feb 2018 19:41 #262745 by Mr. White
What are you guys using for rust? like on the necromunda bases?

More
04 Feb 2018 23:53 #262818 by Sevej

Test models, need to find deeper blues and purples. Ugh, I think I have to mix paint.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, birdman37, stoic, barrowdown, Vlad

More
05 Feb 2018 01:19 #262820 by Michael Barnes
Are those bases MDF?

More
05 Feb 2018 02:03 #262821 by Sevej
Yep. I agonized whether to get circular or rectangle base. Finally settled something in between. Quite nice, and it's rank-able.

warbases.co.uk/?product_cat=round-cornered-bases

More
05 Feb 2018 08:02 #262823 by GorillaGrody

Mr. White wrote: What are you guys using for rust? like on the necromunda bases?

I used to try to mix up my own rust color, but then I discovered Ryza Rust and never looked back.

More
05 Feb 2018 08:06 #262825 by Michael Barnes
Yep. Step 1) Dry brush Ryza Rust. Done.

You can actually get a little fancier with it. Apply Typhus Corrosion first. It enhances the rust look.

More
09 Feb 2018 15:34 #263288 by Matt Thrower
Shadespire Orc number 2. Bit better than the first, I think.

Managing about one a month. Might have a warband done by summer. Orcs are actually my least favourite but that's why I started with them: to get the practice.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic, barrowdown

More
09 Feb 2018 16:42 #263294 by Michael Barnes
I -love- painting Ork skin. I hate painting everything else about them.

I’m just churning out terrain...on my desk I’ve got all kinds of scenery moving on down the line.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.403 seconds