October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

Design this Game

More
23 Oct 2009 10:37 #45282 by ubarose
Design this Game was created by ubarose
NeonPeon wrote:

My mind has been blown! Imagine a game where the Euro fans can play the role of farmers, raising food for and impressing a party of adventurers - played by Ameritrashers - who go out and kick ass! This kind of unity could be the biggest thing since the Berlin Wall came down.

This is a pretty cool idea. Kind of like Descent + Agricola/Settlers. It's kind of been done in on-line games where you can focus on being a craftsperson or a fighter. However it would be cool to have a board game where you had teams of two with one player being the hero, and the other managing the village/farm that supports their hero. The Village players could could have their own little player mats, while the heroes play on a big board fighting monsters. The hero is dependent upon how well their partner is able to supply them with supplies and weapons. The villages are dependent upon the heroes to keep the monster population in check, otherwise they rampage the villages.

We could use parts from existing games. I'm still looking for a good use for all the cool figures from Age of Mythology.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2009 11:28 - 23 Oct 2009 11:33 #45294 by Juniper
Replied by Juniper on topic Re:Design this Game
Fun idea!

One of the problems with these so-called economic efficiency games is that they don't actually simulate a market. Goods are simply converted into victory points according to some weird formula.

If the craftsmen are making swords, armor, and potions, and then selling them to adventurers who will actually use them, then you have a more interesting way to determine the value of each item that's produced. You have an economic model with producers and consumers.

Now, imagine that the adventurers' job is to go out and collect the raw materials for the craftsman's items. "What's that? You need a tooth from a fire dragon? OK, I'll try to go slay one, but I need to buy some fire-resistant armor from you." That way, each player is both a producer and a consumer; the craftsman buys raw materials from the adventurer and then adds value by creating magical items that the adventurer subsequently purchases.

You could also make it possible for the adventurers to try to collect protection money from the craftsmen. Or an unscrupulous craftsman could hire an adventurer to ransack a competitor's shop.
Last edit: 23 Oct 2009 11:33 by Juniper.

More
23 Oct 2009 11:31 #45295 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re:Design this Game
This is a viking game. Farming in the short summer months, plundering in the winter. Balance your plundering with your farming and you win the game.

Sag.

More
23 Oct 2009 11:47 #45296 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Design this Game
Juniper wrote:

You could also make it possible for the adventurers to try to collect protection money from the craftsmen. Or an unscrupulous craftsman could hire an adventurer to ransack a competitor's shop.

Or maybe there aren't teams. Maybe each "year" the village players have to bid against each other and negotiate with the hero players to hire a hero. There might be an interesting balance there, because the village that has the most cash to hire the best hero, might not have the resources to provide the best support for the hero. So the hero might purchase better stuff from a competitor's village. So then the competitor ends up with the other village's money.

More
23 Oct 2009 12:10 #45302 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Design this Game
Another possibility would be The Seven Samurai.

Manage your resources during the growing season, but the most successful villages are also the most likely to be attacked by bandits after harvest. Then decide how much of your resources you will commit to defending your village by hiring ronin.

More
23 Oct 2009 12:12 #45303 by NeonPeon
Replied by NeonPeon on topic Re:Design this Game
Juniper wrote:

One of the problems with these so-called economic efficiency games is that they don't actually simulate a market. Goods are simply converted into victory points according to some weird formula.

Maybe each turn the heroes have to vote to award a prestige point to one of the Euro players, depending on who they think is doing the best job in supplying them. For the Euros, this will mean appealing to as many players as possible - if a Euro does nothing but produce one cool sword for the warrior, then the wizard and thief might feel neglected and place there votes elsewhere.

Although the problem with that idea is the Euros would be playing the heroes for votes, which is more like Apples to Apples than a normal Eurogame in which the system is played. Instead, maybe each item that can be produced has an intrinsic "value" - sum up the value of all your output and the highest total each turn earns a prestige point (shrug).

A random idea:
The Euro part of the game should take no longer than about 2 hours, so maybe there comes a point in the game when the Euro part is finished - whoever has the most prestige wins - and they can go on to play Princes of Hamburgum. Meanwhile the heroes, now fully supplied, go out for their final epic quest or something.

More
23 Oct 2009 12:41 - 23 Oct 2009 12:42 #45309 by ubarose
The Euro players have to impress the King to win the game by contributing resources to build some big stupid statue or something.

So then I could be like, "Francie, I need a magic sword to hold off this next monster. You have to have your village make one."

And she'd be all like, "But I need those resources to contribute to the statue to impress the King."

And I'd be all like, "Well, okay, but then I won't be able to hold off this monster, and it will be in your village trashing your buildings and eating your workers," because there's nothing Francie hates more than having stuff she has built up get trashed.

So she'd be all like, "Okay, here's your stupid sword. I hope you fall on it and die, you stupid Bimbo. Look, see now Todd's going to get to impress the King more than I am."
Last edit: 23 Oct 2009 12:42 by ubarose.

More
23 Oct 2009 12:54 #45310 by Aarontu
Replied by Aarontu on topic Re:Design this Game
ubarose wrote:

The Euro players have to impress the King to win the game by contributing resources to build some big stupid statue or something.

So then I could be like, "Francie, I need a magic sword to hold off this next monster. You have to have your village make one."

And she'd be all like, "But I need those resources to contribute to the statue to impress the King."

And I'd be all like, "Well, okay, but then I won't be able to hold off this monster, and it will be in your village trashing your buildings and eating your workers," because there's nothing Francie hates more than having stuff she has built up get trashed.

So she'd be all like, "Okay, here's your stupid sword. I hope you fall on it and die, you stupid Bimbo. Look, see now Todd's going to get to impress the King more than I am."

Sounds sort of like Kingsburg, but with an actual adventuring and fighting aspect instead of the random invasion die roll.

And the ability to make stuff that isn't just a resource for making more stuff.

More
23 Oct 2009 13:55 #45315 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re:Design this Game
No no no -- here's the edge in the game -- the marauders go after the King and his family. The farmers need to hedge their bets impressing all of them in case they end up being the king in the last turn, but in the meantime the marauders can be bought to kill off the royal of the farmer's choice. Now THAT is an economy game with some zing.

Sag.

More
23 Oct 2009 14:08 #45317 by NeonPeon
Replied by NeonPeon on topic Re:Design this Game
Shellhead wrote:

Manage your resources during the growing season, but the most successful villages are also the most likely to be attacked by bandits after harvest. Then decide how much of your resources you will commit to defending your village by hiring ronin.

I call Toshiro Mifune! You can be "2nd Coolie" or "Bun Vendor".

More
23 Oct 2009 14:12 #45318 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Design this Game
NeonPeon wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

I call Toshiro Mifune! You can be "2nd Coolie" or "Bun Vendor".

I wanted to be Yoshi!

More
23 Oct 2009 14:30 #45320 by ubarose
Or the THree Amigos. To win you must sew like the wind and collect a plethora of pinatas.

More
23 Oct 2009 16:50 #45326 by Aarontu
Replied by Aarontu on topic Re:Design this Game
How about something like the spreadsheet-ish DUNGEON LORDS, only the adventurers are player-controlled?

Or how about a different theme, with more farming:

Euro-side: Factory farmers, managing their farms in a spreadsheet-ish manner. Buy buildings, manage livestock, harvest crops, etc. Try to get build the most efficient Victory point generating machine, with "victory points" being called "money" for thematic reasons.

AT-side: Eco-terrorists and/or animal rights activists. They try to sneak past the farm's security and wreak as much havoc as possible and videotape as many atrocities as they can before escaping.

More
23 Oct 2009 22:36 #45347 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:Design this Game
This could work as in Kingdom of Loathing.

The AT players run around killing monsters and bring their remnants to the euro players who purchase these by auction and create useful items out of them (e.g. a belt of bear strength out of bear skin) which they then again sell to the AT players. The euro players have to manipulate various resources (production time/energy, research/investment to build mightier items) and estimate supply and demand. They can also sabotage each other; this is however resolved non-randomly through a role selection or worker placement mechanic. In the end the player with the most money wins.

The AT players have all the fun killing monsters. The player with most kills wins. Of course if the euro players demand horrendous prices for their items, the monsters will overrun the city and kill all the inhabitants.

The game ends when the evil boss sending out the monsters is slain by the AT players. For the sake of euro players who want to prove that their item supply actually won the game, an elaborate prestige point determination system is provided, which for example grants extra points to the player who forged the weapon with which the boss was killed. The AT players can go play ROCK BAND in the mean time.

More
23 Oct 2009 22:39 #45348 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:Design this Game
Aarontu wrote:

Or how about a different theme, with more farming:

Euro-side: Factory farmers, managing their farms in a spreadsheet-ish manner. Buy buildings, manage livestock, harvest crops, etc. Try to get build the most efficient Victory point generating machine, with "victory points" being called "money" for thematic reasons.

AT-side: Eco-terrorists and/or animal rights activists. They try to sneak past the farm's security and wreak as much havoc as possible and videotape as many atrocities as they can before escaping.

This is a good idea, but the random calamities will eventually spoil the "fun" for the eurogamers. Since everyone would have a different factory, the AT players would simply raid the leader every time.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.472 seconds