Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

TOPIC: Fury of Dracula

Fury of Dracula 30 Oct 2009 13:56 #45790

This thread is for pics of your painted minis, and any other info on how you pimped out your copy of Fury of Dracula.
  • ubarose
  • ubarose's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Bene Gesserit Mother
  • Posts: 4614
  • Thank you received: 1438
Uba WANTS a lot of shitty opinions and HAS a tray of Maker’s Mark
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Fury of Dracula 30 Oct 2009 14:22 #45793

When I got Fury of Dracula, I immediately added a red velvet draw bag for Dracula's tiles. BGG has some nice full color player aids in there file section, which I printed out and rubber cemented onto red card stock, which stiffens them and provides a nice red border.

Once, when playing with KingPut and family, the hunters got into a big old argument about where Dracula could possibly be. I pulled out some pale colored glass blobs, and handed them to KingPut so he could illustrate his reasoning. This significantly cut down on the shouting, pointing, rolled eyes, mispronounced location names, as well my dear family's desire to beat each other about the head with sticks. So I keep a handful of those glass blobs in with the game. Some gamers have commented that this aid to memory and communication is a cheat, but I say, "Bite me." It makes the game more accessible to newbies, and decreases bossiness. Plus, if I'm Dracula, I don't give a damn. If the hunters want to believe that they can hunt me down using a bunch of glass blobs, let them cling to their delusions.

Finally I painted the minis.
furyfigs-011bd5aa72cc1ba4556cd5f1d451828e.jpg
  • ubarose
  • ubarose's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Bene Gesserit Mother
  • Posts: 4614
  • Thank you received: 1438
Uba WANTS a lot of shitty opinions and HAS a tray of Maker’s Mark
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Fury of Dracula 30 Oct 2009 14:40 #45795

ubarose wrote:
This significantly cut down on the shouting, pointing, rolled eyes, mispronounced location names, as well my dear family's desire to beat each other about the head with sticks.

And this enhanced your enjoyment how?

Sag.
  • Sagrilarus
  • Sagrilarus's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • D12
  • Posts: 5847
  • Thank you received: 2588
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Fury of Dracula 30 Oct 2009 14:51 #45796

Sagrilarus wrote:
ubarose wrote:
This significantly cut down on the shouting, pointing, rolled eyes, mispronounced location names, as well my dear family's desire to beat each other about the head with sticks.
And this enhanced your enjoyment how?
Sag.

I wouldn't say it reduced our family's desire to beat each other about the head with sticks, the glass beads just reduced the down time to the head beating.
  • KingPut
  • KingPut's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • D8
  • Posts: 1890
  • Thank you received: 466
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

Re:Fury of Dracula 30 Oct 2009 15:03 #45797

Uba, those figures look nice.

I especially like the way that each figure got a color-coordinated base. My figures are more than half done, but I couldn't decide what to do with the bases so far. I didn't like the look of the FoD figs I've seen at BGG where they based them with fake grass. But I don't want to just leave the bases gray or paint them black.

After a few failed attempts that I quickly scrubbed away, I decided that trying to paint the facial features was a bad idea, because these figures seem to have grotesquely exaggerated faces. So instead, I went with lightly dry-brushing the faces in flesh tones (except for Drac, who is bone white), and I will eventually give them a slight ink wash, leaving shadowy eye sockets and traces of the other features.

One particular problem that I have is Godalming's monocle. I tried painting it a light silver, but his whole face looks so weird that I've decided it might be a bad sculpt. So I'm going to try to strip the face paint off and then maybe re-carve his features slightly with an exacto knife. I don't want to get rid of the monocle, just clean it up so it's more distinct from the face.
  • Shellhead
  • Shellhead's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • D12
  • Posts: 6880
  • Thank you received: 2589
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Fury of Dracula 30 Oct 2009 15:24 #45798

Shellhead wrote:
I especially like the way that each figure got a color-coordinated base. My figures are more than half done, but I couldn't decide what to do with the bases so far. I didn't like the look of the FoD figs I've seen at BGG where they based them with fake grass. But I don't want to just leave the bases gray or paint them black.

I painted the bases black, and then dry brushed a few different shades of brown on them that matched the colors of the board. Then I just painted the edge of the bases the primary color of the character. It makes it a little bit easier for the people I tend to play with to identify their character. "I'm the red guy," is easier than, "I'm the guy with the thing in his hand."

As I said in another thread, I just washed the faces with a sepia wash. The faces on these figs are a little fubar, Godalming's monocle particularly so. Painting facial details just makes it more obvious. I probably should have cut down the strange monocle "string thing, as it kind of looks like he has a growth on his face fro the other side, but I can't be bothered with that level of perfectionism.
  • ubarose
  • ubarose's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Bene Gesserit Mother
  • Posts: 4614
  • Thank you received: 1438
Uba WANTS a lot of shitty opinions and HAS a tray of Maker’s Mark
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Fury of Dracula 30 Oct 2009 15:32 #45800

Here's a down shot of the top of the bases so you can see what I am talking about
furybases.jpg
  • ubarose
  • ubarose's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Bene Gesserit Mother
  • Posts: 4614
  • Thank you received: 1438
Uba WANTS a lot of shitty opinions and HAS a tray of Maker’s Mark
Last Edit: 08 Nov 2009 14:01 by ubarose.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Fury of Dracula 30 Oct 2009 15:39 #45801

Looks nice Uba. Do the color schemes match the character portraits?
  • NeonPeon
  • NeonPeon's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • D6
  • Posts: 798
  • Thank you received: 31
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Fury of Dracula 30 Oct 2009 15:45 #45803

ubarose wrote:
I painted the bases black, and then dry brushed a few different shades of brown on them that matched the colors of the board. Then I just painted the edge of the bases the primary color of the character. It makes it a little bit easier for the people I tend to play with to identify their character. "I'm the red guy," is easier than, "I'm the guy with the thing in his hand."

As I said in another thread, I just washed the faces with a sepia wash. The faces on these figs are a little fubar, Godalming's monocle particularly so. Painting facial details just makes it more obvious. I probably should have cut down the strange monocle "string thing, as it kind of looks like he has a growth on his face fro the other side, but I can't be bothered with that level of perfectionism.

Yeah, the variable brown color looks really good in those top down pictures, like actual soil underfoot. I was thinking of repainting just the edge of the monocle string in black (with a toothpick instead of a brush), but yeah, it's so big that it looks like a growth on the face. So I'm going to remove it with the exacto knife. Then I'm going to strip the paint on the face and see if there is anything else weird around the monocle that I can trim.
  • Shellhead
  • Shellhead's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • D12
  • Posts: 6880
  • Thank you received: 2589
Last Edit: 30 Oct 2009 16:19 by Shellhead.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Fury of Dracula 30 Oct 2009 15:50 #45805

NeonPeon wrote:
Looks nice Uba. Do the color schemes match the character portraits?

They're close. Mina's dress is more of a lavendar or light mauve color in her character portrait, and Dr. Seward is wearing more drab tones of green in his portrait. And nobody knows what color pants any of the dudes are wearing, because those portraits don't really show that.
  • Shellhead
  • Shellhead's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • D12
  • Posts: 6880
  • Thank you received: 2589
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Fury of Dracula 30 Oct 2009 16:17 #45806

NeonPeon wrote:
Looks nice Uba. Do the color schemes match the character portraits?

Sort of. The portraits are so dark as too be nearly black, so what color people are wearing is open to interpretation. I wanted the figures to be significantly distinct from one another so as to be easy to identify on the board, so I took some liberties.
  • ubarose
  • ubarose's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Bene Gesserit Mother
  • Posts: 4614
  • Thank you received: 1438
Uba WANTS a lot of shitty opinions and HAS a tray of Maker’s Mark
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Fury of Dracula 30 Oct 2009 16:19 #45808

They are very smexy.
  • Mr Skeletor
  • Mr Skeletor's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • no gamer cred
  • Posts: 3659
  • Thank you received: 171
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Fury of Dracula 30 Oct 2009 16:25 #45810

Shellhead wrote:
Mina's dress is more of a lavendar or light mauve color in her character portrait.

Interesting. In my copy Mina looks like she's wearing either very dark green or possibly navy blue. Probably depends upon the print run.
  • ubarose
  • ubarose's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Bene Gesserit Mother
  • Posts: 4614
  • Thank you received: 1438
Uba WANTS a lot of shitty opinions and HAS a tray of Maker’s Mark
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Fury of Dracula 30 Oct 2009 16:52 #45811

The Mina portrait in my set looks like this:



Or possibly a darker violet color. As you said, the artwork is very dark.
  • Shellhead
  • Shellhead's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • D12
  • Posts: 6880
  • Thank you received: 2589
Last Edit: 30 Oct 2009 16:53 by Shellhead.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Fury of Dracula 30 Oct 2009 17:32 #45813

The purple bits are more blue on my card, and the green is greener. Probably more blue ink in my copy than yours.
  • ubarose
  • ubarose's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Bene Gesserit Mother
  • Posts: 4614
  • Thank you received: 1438
Uba WANTS a lot of shitty opinions and HAS a tray of Maker’s Mark
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.257 seconds