October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

Fury of Dracula

More
02 Nov 2009 01:02 #45915 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Re:Fury of Dracula
Cool idea for a thread, Uba. I will try to get my FoD guys posted sometime soon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2009 19:07 - 21 Nov 2009 19:08 #47642 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Fury of Dracula
I just finished painting my FoD figures, except that I want put some sealant on tomorrow when it's a little bit warm outside. I would post pictures, except that I wanted to tease Uba some more. Actually, my pictures were terrible this time, even worse than the previous pictures. I will try taking pictures tomorrow in sunlight.

Uba's bases looked so nice, so I copied the idea of painting the trim a distinct color for each figure, so that people could readily identify their figure even at a distance. However, for the top of the base, I only had two colors of brown to work with, scorched brown and snakeskin leather, so I wasn't satisfied with my early results.

Then I had a flash of inspiration: autumn leaves. So I added splashes of red, orange and yellow, and when that all looked a little too colorful, I went back and added a few more bits of scorched brown and snakeskin leather again. I didn't bother actually painting leaf shapes, since that would be a lot of work and somewhat beyond my limited capabilities. But from even a slight distance, the colors absolutely convey the look of scattered autumn leaves on the ground. It works for me anyway. Why autumn leaves? October is my favorite month, and I strongly associate it with Halloween and the leaves changing color, so they seemed to go together naturally. Besides, they help distract from the unsatisfactory faces, due to a combination of dubious sculpts and my painting. Since the sculpts weren't great, I went more for the impression of shadowy faces, leaving the eye sockets dark as though in shadow.

Btw, this was my first attempt at mixing colors. It should have been easy, blood red plus yellow equals a vibrant orange. But in actual practice, I found that I needed twice as much yellow paint as red paint to get a good orange instead of blood orange.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2009 19:08 by Shellhead.

More
23 Nov 2009 12:07 #47711 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Fury of Dracula
I give up on Lord Godalming's head. Between the gigantic monocle and string, the questionable hairline and the huge mutton chops sideburns, my every attempt to paint his head looks poor. Maybe I will make his hair white, so that the line between flesh and hair is less obvious.

More
23 Nov 2009 13:12 #47720 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Re:Fury of Dracula
I went for the easy solid-color method because I can't paint.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DeletedUser

More
23 Nov 2009 14:38 #47729 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic Re:Fury of Dracula
I actually like those a lot, Mad Dog. Simple, effective, and classy. You can really distinguish the figs better. Quite nice.

More
23 Nov 2009 15:03 #47731 by DeletedUser
Replied by DeletedUser on topic Re:Fury of Dracula
Yeah, I like those too Mad Dog. I'm not a bad painter but I just don't have the time to do the minis justice these days. The method you have used here looks good. Did you use just one colour and a wash? Drac almost looks like he is a mix of red and orange with a black wash.

More
23 Nov 2009 15:51 #47734 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Re:Fury of Dracula
Death and Taxis wrote:

Yeah, I like those too Mad Dog. I'm not a bad painter but I just don't have the time to do the minis justice these days. The method you have used here looks good. Did you use just one colour and a wash? Drac almost looks like he is a mix of red and orange with a black wash.

Actually I used colored sharpies and then rubbing alcohol to take off any excess so the plastic ends up looking dyed more than painted. Dracula's the only one I used two colors with, first black then red. Its a process I'm still perfecting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeletedUser

More
23 Nov 2009 16:17 #47735 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic Re:Fury of Dracula
Maybe I'll go mono colors with the min wax dip. I've always wanted to test that anyway. This way I don't have to worry about the fuckedness of Lord Forehead.

More
23 Nov 2009 17:09 #47741 by NeonPeon
Replied by NeonPeon on topic Re:Fury of Dracula
Those are pretty sweet, Mad Dog, and I'll bet they're functionally superior to very "realistically" painted models. As long as you can remember your color there's no way you'll mix up your dude.

More
23 Nov 2009 17:51 #47748 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:Fury of Dracula
They look friggen awesome.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds