October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

Advanced ThunderRoad

More
26 Apr 2010 22:14 #61003 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:Advanced ThunderRoad
moofrank wrote:

I do have a game called Road Warriors that looks a BIT like an advanced Thunder Road.

Maybe.....Reading the rules leaves me with a touch of dread. Perhaps the Aussie Frank has played it and can comment. It was produced by Mattel Australia. And it has either the worst cover ever put on a mass market game. Or the best if your taste runs toward 80's van art.

Never heard of it, I'll keep an eye out at the 2nd hand stores.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2010 08:13 #61615 by Aarontu
Replied by Aarontu on topic Re:Advanced ThunderRoad
Played Thunder Road last night with some of the house rules. I like each car being able to take a hit before wrecking. Most of the destruction took place on the second board, and some on the third board. We used the following house rules:

-Cars can take a hit before wrecking.
-the Thunder Chopper can be attacked by other cars or choppers. You attack it just like it is a car in the space it last attacked. You wreck it on a roll of 6. (some attacks on choppers were made, but none of them were successful. This rule did make people more cautious about when to use their chopper). The Thunder Chopper is wrecked if it is hit, but it can be repaired with double 6's.
-I had an oil tanker (rank 8, damaged on a roll of 6 when shot, only the cab is vulnerable, the back part is basically a mobile obstacle) and my opponent had a school bus (rank 7, damaged on a 6 when shot, can shoot at any adjacent space instead of just the three forward spaces). Both vehicles took up 2 spaces and have -1 movement. They enter the board on the road on their player's first turn.
-Players roll 4 dice + the road die for movement (because they now have 4 cars)
-The buggy gets +1 move when it can't use the road die. The rank 6 car gets -1 move when it can't use the road die. 2-space cars always get -1 move.

The tanker and bus were cool and intimidating, seeming nearly indestructible and able to ram anything in their way. They were slower than the other cars, though, and were eventually outrun near the end of the game. My opponent ended his bus's move after a turn at one point to block the entire road, hoping to run me off the road. It nearly backfired when I rolled low for movement and was able to T-bone him with my tanker.

The game ended with his sedan going on to the 4th board while my tanker and one of my cars were still on the 2nd. He still had the bus, but all other cars were wrecked at this point. I like the effect of these house rules, so far.

More
13 May 2010 13:50 #62876 by Aarontu
Photo of the tanker and bus in action:

More
22 May 2010 20:12 - 22 May 2010 20:14 #64056 by Aarontu
Mr Skeletor, those are cool ideas for special abilities. I'm thinking of trying out a simplified version of that; making cards for specific vehicles, and each card has a different ability. Each card can also be "tapped" or flipped if the car is damaged.

Here's what I have so far:

buggy - grapple hook; you can grapple onto a car you are directly behind instead of shooting it. Move with that car during its next turn; if you are forced into a wreck, plow through it as normal. If you are forced into another car, roll as if ramming it, except you can be wrecked if you lose the roll.
buggy - pack-rat; cars need a 5 to hit when shooting it because of all the junk (chopper still needs a 4)
buggy - gas tank; explodes when wrecked, all adjacent cars are damaged on a roll of 4+
buggy - mechanic; automatically and immediately repair the first hit against this car
buggy - all terrain tires; -1 move, can always use road bonus
sedan - roof armor; chopper needs a 6 to hit
sedan - nitro; one use, double the road bonus die for this car
sedan - wheel blades; +2 when ramming
sedan - sharp shooter; +1 to the die when shooting
sedan - ??????????????????????? (I'd like to think up one more ability here)
tank - napalm; attacks twice/turn, but only directly forward
tank - pintle-mounted machine gun; can shoot any adjacent space (including directly behind)
tank - chaingun; attacks all three forward spaces at once
tank - missile launcher; you can attack up to 3 spaces away, but only directly forward
tank - cow catcher; when plowing through wrecks, only wreck on a 1. On a 5 or 6 you knock the wreck into an adjacent space

Anyone have any other ideas?
Last edit: 22 May 2010 20:14 by Aarontu.

More
25 May 2010 22:41 - 25 May 2010 22:42 #64349 by Aarontu
I have an idea for the last ability:

sedan - carbon-fiber brake pads; you may choose to move less than the movement die allocated to this car
Last edit: 25 May 2010 22:42 by Aarontu.

More
07 Sep 2010 21:02 #73311 by Aarontu
Got a draft done:

You can turn the cards 180 degrees when the car is damaged (showing "damaged" right side up).

Not done with the bus/tanker cards yet.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds