October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

Painting Space Hulk Quickly - Terminators

More
28 Apr 2010 09:55 - 30 Apr 2010 09:04 #61169 by Mr. White
I looked for an approach to keep the Terminators down to a few colors as well and the same amount of steps as the genestealers. I think I just about made it and am willing to move forward with the rest of the Termies as given below. I do have one step you may skip in the interest of time if desired.

First, the materials. Notice the can of Testor's Dull Cote on the left. That's the sealant I use. Much cheaper than GW and works great. For Primer I used an old GW Blood Red spray paint. They don't make it anymore since they want you to buy thier gun (which is nice) and essentially have a spray paint of any color. The 8 paints you'll need are: chaos black, skull white, scab red, mithril silver, bleached bone, bubonic brown, codex grey, and sunburst yellow. Badab black (black gold!) and gryphonne sepia washes.

STEP 1 - PRIMER.
Not including a picture, but even though the termies are red plastic, you'll want to either prime them red OR simply spray a sealant over the plastic. Both of these give something for the paint to cling to. Sealant before paint isn't unheard of. I used to do this a lot when playing Dark Future. I'd spray sealant on the glossy hot wheel cars. This allowed me to save a ton of time be keeping the original paint job, but enabling me to paint dirt, scratches, gang insignia's etc over the factory jobs as my paint would cling to the sealant.

STEP A - ROPE AND PURITY SEALS (OPTIONAL STEP).

Looking at these models, I wanted the movement of the sculpts to pop out a bit, so I'm taking a quick minute to do an extra step. IMO, a black wash creates too hard of a shadow for these pieces so I'm going with something different. Paint the rope/chords bubonic brown and the purity seals bleached bone. When dry, wash them with gryphonne sepia. Go to the next mini and let this dry COMPLETELY.
(You'll see I missed a few seals on the shoulders. An oversight that I caught later on. Man, these things have some detail!)

STEP 2 - PAINT.

Again, very little. I took a quick glance online to see how the studio did these, just to get an idea, then I came to several concessions on how I was going to approach mine. The studio used a lot of gold and I've _never_ gotten a metal colors outside of silver to work well, so I'm going silver. All the metal parts will be silver, all skulls white, all weapons mainly black, the base black, eyes and such yellow (I didn't have a good neon green on hand), wax on the purity seals are scab red. Personalized shoulder pads gone and such aren't going to happen. Again, you could also paint the rope and purity seals in this step.

Also note there's some insignia sculpted under the rope on the chest, and last time I suggested always painting inside/out. Well, that stuff is buried too deep in the sculpt it won't show in gameplay, so I skipped it.

STEP 3 - WASH/DRYBRUSH.

Simply wash the entire model in badab black. NOTE: if you did Step A, try not to allow any of the badab black wash to go over your gryphoon sepia wash. Here, you'll have a wet model again, so give it some time before you do your grey/silver drybrushing of the base (like in the genestealer tutorial). Also, I drybrushed parts of the storm bolter with mithril silver, and a touch of skull white drybrush on the skulls to help them pop out more.

All in all this model took me about an hour. Knowing that this scheme and method works, the rest will take less time. Particularly, since I'll be doing them assembly line style one color at a time. In these blown up pictures, I see a few spots that I need to fill in with a bit more wash. I didn't see these at all on the table. This model won't win me an award, but my buddy will have a rockin' Space Hulk game.

Good Luck!
Last edit: 30 Apr 2010 09:04 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2010 09:58 #61170 by Nick Dalton
Looks good man. I just went with painting a few features, dry-brushing orange on the raised portions of the armor, and then dipping. I didn't even bother with the primer and had no problems.

More
28 Apr 2010 10:00 - 28 Apr 2010 10:02 #61171 by Mr. White
Thanks!

I've moved away from the dip, but would like to see your results!
Last edit: 28 Apr 2010 10:02 by Mr. White.

More
28 Apr 2010 10:05 #61173 by Nick Dalton
I'll get some pics up soon. It's my first time painting, let alone dipping, so the results are just okay. I'm still trying to figure out how much dip to apply and how to get it to run appropriately around the mini (I'm brushing it on). The ones I've done so far look a little dark, and while it's not out of place, I like your end result better.

More
28 Apr 2010 10:32 #61177 by kookoobah
Fantastic. One day I hope I will have a kid who can paint, and then I'll let him/her loose on my Space Hulk.

Amazing paint job dude. I wish I was more artistic.

More
28 Apr 2010 13:26 #61225 by Mr. White
With these tutorials I was hoping to show that you don't have to be artistic. I did so little actual painting, it feels like cheating.

Give it a go!

More
28 Apr 2010 16:36 #61266 by Dr. Mabuse
Judas' fucking noose! That is awesome Jack.

[stands up and applauds]

More
28 Apr 2010 16:41 #61268 by southernman
Both of your tutes have made it look so bloody easy - and then I try painting my first figure and total it :-)

More
15 May 2010 16:21 #63112 by southernman
Question for you experts - I've followed most of these tutes except ... what's the difference between a wash and a dip (or an ink?), the difference in applying them, and the difference to what they do to the model ?

More
15 May 2010 20:50 - 15 May 2010 20:50 #63114 by Mr. White
The Dip is when you literally dip the whole model into something. For purposes of minis gaming this means a water based wood stain. Here's an example: www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dipping_Tyranids

Alternatively, some use the same wood stain but apply it with a brush.

Inks and washes, are what I used in my tutorials, they are essentially watered down paints with some other liquid involved to cut the surface tension allowing the dye of the paint to settle into the recess of the model.

All three of these (dip, inks, washes) do the same thing. The Dip will generally mute your colors and gives the same shade to every color of the model, but it produces very fast results. There's a company, I think called Army Painter, that is selling gamers a variation of the $5 woodstain for like $30. Beware.

I used to use the dip, because GWs inks weren't that good. However, the new ones they sell are fantastic. Well worth the price per bottle.

Hope this helped!
Last edit: 15 May 2010 20:50 by Mr. White.

More
16 May 2010 04:21 #63129 by sydo
This is a great work Jack! I am going to paint my genestealers today. I hope they come out well as I haven't been painting for two years...

More
16 May 2010 04:31 #63131 by southernman
That sounds pretty good. I assume you can still 'dip' a figure in the wash if you have enough of it, or is brushing it on the best way for results (for accuracy and concentration on the figure).

The minis guys at my club use the GW washes (from what I hear when I listen to the 'painting' talk) and have all moved to Vallejo paints, but I thought I'd get other views as well.

Now I've just got to get my arse into gear to start and see if I'm any good and if it's 'for' me - I don't have that much spare time due to long work days, a young lad, a few good TV series plus sport on the box, and a typical quite small UK house means I can't leave it set up so will have to pack away every session.

More
16 May 2010 20:11 #63188 by Mr. White
@sydo - Here's the thread on painting genestealers
fortressat.com/index.php?option=com_kune...ew&catid=34&id=60486

@southernman - I apply the washes/inks with a brush. Give me more control if i want to use more than one wash color or there are parts i don't want the wash to go over. I know a lot of folks that have moved on to Vallejo paints as well. I haven't because I still have more than enough of my old GW paints. Again, the GW washes are where it's at though regardless of the type of paint.

More
17 May 2010 04:10 #63235 by sydo
Thanks for the Link Jack, but I am going for an Alien color scheme - black genestealers as I want them to be darker than the GW suggested ones. Hopefully, I will finish the first one next weekend and post it here to hear your comments.

More
18 May 2010 23:18 - 18 May 2010 23:24 #63563 by Mr. White
sydo wrote:

Thanks for the Link Jack, but I am going for an Alien color scheme - black genestealers as I want them to be darker than the GW suggested ones. Hopefully, I will finish the first one next weekend and post it here to hear your comments.

Looking forward to seeing the result!
Last edit: 18 May 2010 23:24 by Mr. White.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds