October 09, 2023
2507 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2706 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
06 Apr 2015 20:36 - 06 Apr 2015 20:37 #200412 by aaxiom
This last week:
Gears of War x2
The Great Heartland Hauling Company x9
Polis (solo run to get the rules down)
Apex Therapod x5
Last edit: 06 Apr 2015 20:37 by aaxiom.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2015 08:57 #200420 by Grudunza

Black Barney wrote: from the movie Alien?? There's a thematic board game around that? Can i has it?

Yes, Barney. It's great. Legendary: Encounters is what it's called.

Predator version is coming this year, apparently.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
07 Apr 2015 09:05 #200421 by Legomancer

aaxiom wrote: The Great Heartland Hauling Company x9
/quote]

I guess the "x9" answers this, but how is Heartland Hauling? I've thought about adding that into an order a few times.

More
07 Apr 2015 10:01 #200429 by Erik Twice
I introduced Chicago Express to my buddies and they liked it so much we ended up playing three games of it in a row and we would have played more if we had had more time (Mark of a great game for sure). Even better, one of the players told me that he liked the game but he wished it had more building and running your company and the other one is also kind of a builder so I'm going to take 1825 with me next, I think they'll love it :)

Sadly, I only own 1825 Unit 2 and other units are impossible to find. But hey, at worst I can get some other cube train games (German Railways, Continental Divide, Silverton?) and I know I'll be able to play them.

I also went to a local Netrunner tournament with an Industrial Genomics deck, which is a Jinteki identity that increases trash costs of all cards (installed or not) by the amount of facedown cards in archives. It seems fun, right? Well, it isn't, it's an extremely powerful deck and I flatlined all Runners but one because they ran out of cards. I went undefeated and by a wide margin at that. I didn't expect that at all, I ran it practically untested and thought it was just a funny Tier 3 deck or something.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wesbaker

More
07 Apr 2015 10:25 #200438 by Cambyses
Haven't been able to play too many games lately because my dissertation is ramping up, so it's mostly been a two-player game of Clash of Cultures or Sekigehara with my wife. But in a rare occurrence, someone other than me purchased a new game and invited me over to play it, and I had a total blast: Conquest of the Empire. We played with the revamped Martin Wallace-ified rules, and I really enjoyed it. Lots of above-the-board dealing and alliance changes and backstabbing. I won the game with only three units left on the board, more or less by holding Italy and Narbo unopposed for most of the game. I'm interested in coming back to it with the older rules, because it looks like it will be a little more important to hold territories rather than just the specific point-giving provinces. It was a 4-hour learning game for all of us, but the time flew by and I can't wait to play again. Can't think of a higher compliment than that, to be honest!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
07 Apr 2015 11:11 #200443 by Gary Sax
Man, do I need to play my expansion for Clash of Cultures. Fuuuck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
07 Apr 2015 11:27 #200446 by charlest
What's up with that Apex Therapod deckbuilder Phil? Does it do anything interesting/different than its peers?

More
07 Apr 2015 12:21 #200447 by Cranberries

I also went to a local Netrunner tournament with an Industrial Genomics deck, which is a Jinteki identity that increases trash costs of all cards (installed or not) by the amount of facedown cards in archives. It seems fun, right? Well, it isn't, it's an extremely powerful deck and I flatlined all Runners but one because they ran out of cards. I went undefeated and by a wide margin at that. I didn't expect that at all, I ran it practically untested and thought it was just a funny Tier 3 deck or something.

I just lost all desire to get into Netrunner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, aaxiom

More
07 Apr 2015 17:39 #200471 by Erik Twice

craniac wrote: I just lost all desire to get into Netrunner.

Haha, dont' worry, the meta will adapt just like it adapted to all my other weird decks :)

More
08 Apr 2015 03:10 #200484 by aaxiom
It's a deceptively simple pickup-and-deliver game that is quick and "thinky". It's not a simulation, by any stretch of the imagination, but it's an interesting title for me and the family, certainly.

It's fun... in a small box with wood bits and cards. Probably one of the better small format games I've encountered, the other being the Space Hulk Death Angel title. If I were to travel, I think this game goes along. It solos pretty well, and it's an interesting challenge with others.

Hope that helps... feel free to ask for further thoughts or clarification.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.896 seconds