October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2699 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
30 Dec 2015 19:40 #218679 by Michael Barnes
I like two solo...I did play a couple of four player games with human bodies and they were fine, but this is one of those games that really kind of plays just as well alone. With three or four solo, it gets a little messy keeping up with everything and it doesn't really affect anything other than giving you eight more action cards to consider and more to track.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Dec 2015 20:04 - 30 Dec 2015 20:05 #218683 by Disgustipater
Played my second game of Ogre as the defense. This time I managed to take out the Ogre's treads before he got halfway up the board. It was at that point that my opponent questioned how attacking works. For whatever reason (vague Pocket Edition rules?), I thought that the checkboxes for the Ogre's weapons were hit points, with one attack per weapon. We came to realize that you get one attack per box.

Last edit: 30 Dec 2015 20:05 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Black Barney, san il defanso, Erik Twice, Feelitmon

More
31 Dec 2015 08:44 #218710 by Black Barney
Played SMASH UP and won in a four player setting. That game takes too damn long

More
31 Dec 2015 09:38 #218716 by Egg Shen

Josh Look wrote: Someone on here said that Warhammer Quest ACG was easy. I don't remember who that was, but that person is either playing the game wrong or they're a no good fucking goddamned liar.

The game is pretty difficult. It's also one of those games where it's really easy to forget a rule or fuck something up. I missed two pretty big things that helped make the game a bit easier.

1) When your heroes take turns activating enemies there are two things to remember: First enemies don't inflict their damage unless they actually have the keyword "inflict" on them. Totally missed that the first time. Next if they're in the shadows and they have the "inflict" keyword they only damage the hero that activated them. I totally buggered this up on my first couple of run-throughs.

2) During your hero's turn if you can exhaust an enemy it does two things. First, the exhausted enemy can be ignored when you perform an action. So if you're doing an attack action against two enemies and one of them is exhausted...you only need to roll the black die for the un-exhausted enemy. Again, something I missed. The other more obvious thing is that they don't attack/act when activated.

When I've soloed the game I only use two heroes. Using anymore than that just leads to forgetting which character already acted and whatnot. I do think which heroes you bring makes a big difference on the difficultly level. I've been having pretty good luck with the archer and the priest.

Oh, another small easy rule that I missed was getting treasure when exploring. When you reveal a dungeon card if it has a little gold coin in the bottom lefthand corner you get to draw from the treasure/item deck. Basically, during my first couple of sessions I fucked up everything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, aaxiom, Hadik

More
31 Dec 2015 12:18 #218729 by iguanaDitty

Black Barney wrote: Played SMASH UP and won in a four player setting. That game takes too damn long

By which I assume you mean your game took about 5 minutes.

(Yes, it does)

More
31 Dec 2015 13:36 #218737 by Black Barney
Took at least an hour

More
31 Dec 2015 13:57 #218743 by san il defanso

Disgustipater wrote: Played my second game of Ogre as the defense. This time I managed to take out the Ogre's treads before he got halfway up the board. It was at that point that my opponent questioned how attacking works. For whatever reason (vague Pocket Edition rules?), I thought that the checkboxes for the Ogre's weapons were hit points, with one attack per weapon. We came to realize that you get one attack per box.

You reminded me that I have Ogre, and that I really like it. Now I need to figure out when I can get in a two player game session, so I can play it.

More
31 Dec 2015 16:40 #218755 by Hex Sinister
I'm bummed that I sold my OGRE deluxe edition but I made a huge $5 profit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
01 Jan 2016 10:45 #218806 by DukeofChutney
Played through the entire WQ the card game campaign with a friend in the run up to midnight. We made a few rules errors for the first three missions that helped us out. We discarded engaged monsters when we moved locations so we could just sprint away from our problems. However we also applied multiple nemesis rolls so theres that in our favour. Either way we sorted out the rules by the last two scenarios which we beat fairly handily. I think scenarios one and three are the hardest. Later on the advancement of your characters sort of out weighs the difficulty curve as far as i can tell.

I still love this game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
01 Jan 2016 11:59 - 01 Jan 2016 12:08 #218811 by Disgustipater
Two more games of Ogre. Another play as the defense. This time I managed to take out the Ogre's treads about 8 spaces away from my Command Post. I had also taken out all his weapons except his AP guns, so I wasn't too concerned about him prior to immobilizing him. I had multiple lucky shots with my howitzers on his treads. I think I hit him 3 or 4 times in a row. Multiple 6 damage hits to your treads hurts A LOT. After that we swapped sides and I just raced up the board, changing direction at one point to avoid the bulk of his force. He placed both howitzers at center, one near the front, the other near the back. Each one took an auto hit missile, since he didn't bother to take out my missiles before I used them. I easily made it up to his CP and took it out. He did very little damage to me. I don't think he played well at all, but it was only his second play ever, so it can be forgiven. Definitely a fun little game.

8 of us played the Great Dalmuti . We played with the scoring variant up to 50 points. Last hand I had 43 points, while the leader had 48. As luck would have it, I managed to go out first for 8, bringing me up to 51, and the previous leader ended up last for 1 point putting her at 49. It's an okay game but I wouldn't play it more than once in a great while.

Since we still had 8 players, we played Cards Against Humanity. We have 5 expansions and several of the mini expansions and have enjoyed the game a lot over the last few years. However, we've finally reached the point of being over it. This morning, out of the blue, my wife said, "I don't really like Cards Against Humanity anymore." I knew I hadn't for a while now. I think it's time to sell off the set.
Last edit: 01 Jan 2016 12:08 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.693 seconds