October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
12 Jul 2014 19:12 #182115 by hotseatgames
I like Catan. But using the phrase "dice-chucking" for a game that involves a single die roll every round... no.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2014 19:58 #182119 by Sagrilarus
Another game of Thunder Alley today, with noobs. They took to it quickly and there were some great plays, even by the 11yo. You can do a lot with the cards, more than you think at first. I came in second by one point

Really interesting dynamic, like no other racing game I've played. Still not sure where in the ranking to put it, and I've played a lot of racing games.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
13 Jul 2014 10:39 #182139 by SuperflyPete
Coup: Played this yesterday a couple of times. It's really a fun game, but teaching people how to REALLY play it is kind of hard. The first game, nobody bluffed but me and they all realized quickly that I was the only BSer, so I was eliminated quickly. The second game, they realized it was more Poker than Blackjack, and so then it was a bunch of liars lying. Much better.

Escape: Curse of the Temple: Played this four times yesterday. It's really good for a frenetic, simple game of chucking dice. Easy to teach, easy to play. I think I like it better with the Treasure/Curse tiles mixed in. I also think adding 2 gems to the starting total makes it hard enough that there's a chance of losing. I'm going to play again today, with the Sands of Time hourglass to make shit much harder. Or at least I think it will be harder. Fun little game.

8 Minute Empire: Played this 2 times. Holy shit. Great game. I think I like it better when the little tokens are on the board as it adds "a reason" to go after certain territories. Really, truly fun.

More
13 Jul 2014 11:44 #182140 by stormseeker75
Glad you are happy with Escape. I liked that one quite a bit. Glad it got a good home.

More
13 Jul 2014 14:01 #182144 by charlest

SuperflyTNT wrote: Coup: Played this yesterday a couple of times. It's really a fun game, but teaching people how to REALLY play it is kind of hard. The first game, nobody bluffed but me and they all realized quickly that I was the only BSer, so I was eliminated quickly. The second game, they realized it was more Poker than Blackjack, and so then it was a bunch of liars lying. Much better.

Escape: Curse of the Temple: Played this four times yesterday. It's really good for a frenetic, simple game of chucking dice. Easy to teach, easy to play. I think I like it better with the Treasure/Curse tiles mixed in. I also think adding 2 gems to the starting total makes it hard enough that there's a chance of losing. I'm going to play again today, with the Sands of Time hourglass to make shit much harder. Or at least I think it will be harder. Fun little game.

8 Minute Empire: Played this 2 times. Holy shit. Great game. I think I like it better when the little tokens are on the board as it adds "a reason" to go after certain territories. Really, truly fun.

Escape expansions are both really good. The game is too easy though, and we typically add 2-4 gems when we play.

More
13 Jul 2014 18:56 #182159 by Scott_F
4 player game of Wallenstein today. Sadly I lost in the tiebreaker, should've checked before it got to that point what the tiebreak conditions were though as I had no money at the end. Much better with four then three players.

More
13 Jul 2014 19:33 #182165 by charlest
Just got back from a Gumshoe session with my Sherlock Holmes: CD crew. This was the first time we've played Gumshoe and we loved it. It's like a meaner, thicker, evolved SH:CD with more of everything (Fingerprints!) and some choose your own adventure elements ("Do you want to follow the man or stay and observe the house?"). So cool, so interesting, and a damn shame we don't see more paragraph games like this. There are some warts but I don't want to highlight those until I've played some more. Also, thank god for the errata booklet, game wouldn't be playable without it.

I also played two games of Space Hulk Death Angel solo. This is a favorite of mine as I absolutely adore it for solo play (never been a huge fan of this co-op though). Had to pull this out as I've been playing the Space Hulk PC game quite bit the past couple of weeks and wanted to Death Angel action. I lost both times of course.

More
13 Jul 2014 19:34 #182166 by Michael Barnes
Wallenstein is one of the best "big" Eurogames. I'm going to to file it into the ERP, I don't know why I thought Shogun was an adequate replacement.

More
13 Jul 2014 19:59 #182167 by ChristopherMD
Pueblo - Every time I play this I want to play it more often. Such a simple design that gets your brain working more and more as it goes on. Yet never too much of a brain-burner and doesn't overstay its welcome. In fact its usually a game I'll pull at the end of the night when everyone is burnt out. More of an abstract really, but could easily fit into the ERP. Possibly my favorite Kramer design after El Grande.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
13 Jul 2014 20:22 #182170 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, Pueblo was pretty cool...added.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.706 seconds