October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
02 Dec 2014 08:50 #191747 by edulis
Played the first two scenarios of the Robotech tabletop skirmish game. My buddy who kick-started it is notorious for not reading the rules ahead of time and then explaining games wrong. The actually rules are only 10 pages or so. I really should have just read them...

Anyway, the game felt like a stripped down version of Warmachine. You have 'command points' that work a lot like focus, but no warcaster. So basically you can add attacks or attempt to dodge, by spending command points freely.

The transforming aspect was kind of neat, choosing which version of your Veritech was best for a given situation, but overall the game offered nothing new or special. Basic skirmish game using robotech models.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2014 13:02 #191775 by Erik Twice
I've been playing Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage with Thrower online. It's fun. I had never played a boardgame online so it was kind of a new experience for me.

More
02 Dec 2014 16:38 #191792 by Shellhead
Played a pair of very decent co-op games for the first time on Sunday with a couple of friends.

Robinson Crusoe was just as good as I have been hearing, though the rules were an ongoing problem because the other guys had only played a combined total of three games and didn't completely understand how the game worked. We played scenario 1, and despite my frequent reminders that we should be gathering and piling up more wood, we ran out of time right at the end and lost. My soldier character nearly died while hunting and killing a jaguar with his bare hands. I would definitely play Robinson Crusoe again, because the combination of components and gameplay really delivered the theme well.

Forbidden Desert was surprisingly good. The characters explore a desert where the winds blow hard and the sands are frequently shifting, seeking to find the missing parts of an airship that can be used to escape. There are also various pieces of abandoned high tech items to be found and used, as well as a few tunnels that can be used for rapid travel and shelter from the weather. Water is essential, and there are just a few places on the board where more water can be found. The neatest mechanic is the clues. The whole map is a 5x5 grid of random tiles, and the four missing items are defined by pairs of clue tiles, one horizontal and one vertical. Once both clue tiles for a given item are found, their position at that moment determines the placement of the missing item. We won because we were really lucky with the weather cards, with the wandering storm frequently getting temporarily stuck in a corner, resulting in less sand dunes than normal. The game took about an hour to play, and was easy to learn but presented some moderately interesting decisions at times.

More
02 Dec 2014 18:38 #191795 by SuperflyPete

edulis wrote: Played the first two scenarios of the Robotech tabletop skirmish game. My buddy who kick-started it is notorious for not reading the rules ahead of time and then explaining games wrong. The actually rules are only 10 pages or so. I really should have just read them...

Anyway, the game felt like a stripped down version of Warmachine. You have 'command points' that work a lot like focus, but no warcaster. So basically you can add attacks or attempt to dodge, by spending command points freely.

The transforming aspect was kind of neat, choosing which version of your Veritech was best for a given situation, but overall the game offered nothing new or special. Basic skirmish game using robotech models.

I really, really, really wanted to play this. Now I want to more!

More
02 Dec 2014 19:10 #191797 by Michael Barnes
I would like to buy someone's completely painted, assembled set of the Robotech game for ten dollars. PM me.

How does it model the spaghetti missiles?

More
02 Dec 2014 19:22 #191800 by Bull Nakano
Neither are exactly board games but on Sunday I got in two games of Netrunner before a session of Dungeon Crawl Classics, and I was left wondering why I have so many games. Netrunner was fantastic, and I'm aching for more plays now. DCC was wild and crazy as always. I guess I was left thinking about how I only play a small number of CCGs, RPGs, and minis games and I find them very fulfilling and am not constantly looking for the next one I'll like, so why do I constantly chase board games?

More
02 Dec 2014 22:59 #191807 by metalface13

Bull Nakano wrote: Neither are exactly board games but on Sunday I got in two games of Netrunner before a session of Dungeon Crawl Classics, and I was left wondering why I have so many games. Netrunner was fantastic, and I'm aching for more plays now. DCC was wild and crazy as always. I guess I was left thinking about how I only play a small number of CCGs, RPGs, and minis games and I find them very fulfilling and am not constantly looking for the next one I'll like, so why do I constantly chase board games?

Jeff White and I are thinking about getting into some DCC. I'd love to hear some more about your experience with it.

More
02 Dec 2014 23:13 #191808 by Mr. White

Bull Nakano wrote: I guess I was left thinking about how I only play a small number of CCGs, RPGs, and minis games and I find them very fulfilling and am not constantly looking for the next one I'll like, so why do I constantly chase board games?

Yeah...I hear this. We recently wrapped up a sputtering BB league, but it was a lot of fun, and I'm going to jump start season II a bit early and keep the games more frequent. The league has me itching for a little more campaign play, so like Casey mentioned, we'll be taking a look at DCC probably right after the winter break (can you give us a run down of the adventures you've played, preferences, but no spoilers).

All in all though, I have to say getting back into BB was nice and I think a solid rpg will be good as well. There just isn't anything like a steady campaign or league (of any game).

It does make the one-off board game sessions feel a bit more...hollow? Lighter? Still fun though, but a bit fewer calories.

More
03 Dec 2014 07:57 #191818 by Chaz

Michael Barnes wrote: I would like to buy someone's completely painted, assembled set of the Robotech game for ten dollars. PM me.

How does it model the spaghetti missiles?

Cans of silly string.

More
03 Dec 2014 10:05 #191824 by Bull Nakano

Mr. White wrote:

Bull Nakano wrote: I guess I was left thinking about how I only play a small number of CCGs, RPGs, and minis games and I find them very fulfilling and am not constantly looking for the next one I'll like, so why do I constantly chase board games?

Yeah...I hear this. We recently wrapped up a sputtering BB league, but it was a lot of fun, and I'm going to jump start season II a bit early and keep the games more frequent. The league has me itching for a little more campaign play, so like Casey mentioned, we'll be taking a look at DCC probably right after the winter break (can you give us a run down of the adventures you've played, preferences, but no spoilers).

All in all though, I have to say getting back into BB was nice and I think a solid rpg will be good as well. There just isn't anything like a steady campaign or league (of any game).

It does make the one-off board game sessions feel a bit more...hollow? Lighter? Still fun though, but a bit fewer calories.

I'm not sure, generally board gaming is fulfilling. Sometimes I play something that just rubs me the wrong way, but usually I play games I enjoy on some level. I love learning new games, I'll play any RPG, CCG, minis, or board game if someone wants to teach me. I'm just wondering why I feel the need to have a few hundred games when probably a few dozen would do me fine. I'm trying to figure out why I acquire games, I guess.

Anyway, on to DCC.

DCC is very fun. It's my favourite fantasy rpg. It's hard for me to talk about it because I feel much of the experience is the GM I play with. He's super old school and really lets me try any stupid idea I want (which is all I want to do, really). The system is kind of wacky. Magic is simple and fun to play, I feel in other systems magic can seem like such chore. The different classes or races are all really different and fun to play (except elves are kind of boring, that said I'm currently playing an elf, they use magic, and I have some fun spells). We play combat old school, no tactics, just describe your action and go for it. Lots of folks love the level 0 funnels, I personally think they're kind of boring because the characters are bland and running 4 characters isn't very fun to me. I just get some killed right away.

So, tell me what you want to know about the system, I think questions would be easier to answer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
03 Dec 2014 10:27 - 03 Dec 2014 10:41 #191826 by Mr. White
I think we're pretty much sold on the game (got a book coming), Casey may have some other questions, but I'd be interested in hearing your general thoughts on any of the published modules you may have played, if any. No spoilers.

Perhaps break it out into a new thread.
Last edit: 03 Dec 2014 10:41 by Mr. White.

More
03 Dec 2014 11:23 - 03 Dec 2014 11:26 #191828 by bfkiller
Three "new to me" games last night.

CO₂

I quite liked this one. From the game mechanics, you actually get a sense of the designer's cynicism about the global energy industry tempered by his hopeful eye for the future (at least that's what I got out of it). Some impressive theming. Fun game, too, that reminded me a bit of Archipelago in terms of the forced cooperative aspect. We ended up polluting the planet beyond repair by about 1990. Whoops. Weird trivia: there were 5 players in this game, two of whom were named Brittani (both even with an "i" at the end).

Sushi Go!

I'm not at all a fan of 7 Wonders, so the description of a much lighter version of that game didn't fill me with optimism, but this is actually pretty fun. Turns out all they had to do to make 7 Wonders enjoyable was to make it simpler, quicker, and cuter. I won by a single point.

Imperial Settlers

I played as the Barbarians and built up my production so I was making 12 dudes and 2 swords a round, plus could convert 2 dudes into 2 swords as an action. So I was razing buildings like a mofo. The factions seemed to each have their own vibe, which is nice. The iconography and text on the cards, though, is WAY too small. I had a really hard time reading other players' tableaus. I won this one by a single point as well, squeaking past the Egyptians, who I targeted with my raids over half the time (in a 4-player game).

I'd like to play this one again, but would probably opt for 51st State and/or The New Era instead if I were to buy.
Last edit: 03 Dec 2014 11:26 by bfkiller.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, stoic

More
03 Dec 2014 12:55 #191835 by DukeofChutney

Bull Nakano wrote:

Mr. White wrote:

DCC is very fun. It's my favourite fantasy rpg.

So, tell me what you want to know about the system, I think questions would be easier to answer.

move this to the RPG thread an i can weight in on the relative merits of DCC. I have gm'd several games of it.

More
03 Dec 2014 13:04 #191836 by Mr. White
I thought I had brought this up before.

fortressat.com/forum/17-other-types-of-g...179446-lets-talk-dcc

Looks like we're finally going to actually run it.

Do y'all have more to add since last postings?

More
03 Dec 2014 13:07 #191837 by metalface13

Mr. White wrote: I think we're pretty much sold on the game (got a book coming), Casey may have some other questions, but I'd be interested in hearing your general thoughts on any of the published modules you may have played, if any. No spoilers.

Perhaps break it out into a new thread.

What Jeff said. Just any stories of general wackiness, memorable moments and what not.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.296 seconds