October 09, 2023
2479 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
19 May 2014 12:08 #178435 by Green Lantern
Got in a second play of Space Cadets over the weekend and we got smoked. We jumped into mission 1 to capture 3 crystals and didn't even manage to snag 2 of them before getting surrounded by 3 enemy ships, including Nemesis. This game seems to require some serious skill and I can't wait to get a few more plays in to see if that's true. Everyone at the table had fun despite getting waxed by the enemy ships, so hopefully I can talk them into braving the horrors of space exploration one more time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2014 12:39 #178437 by jeb
Played PROPHECY twice this weekend with my son. Nice tidy little game there. It's TALISMAN reflected through Vlaada Chvatil. It's not roll-and-move, it's just move-a-little-or-a-little-more, but you do the same thing: bouncing around, having card-based adventures, gaining strength and craft (uh, "willpower"), and trying to get the Crown of CommandArtifacts that let you win the Final Battle.

It takes up much less space than TALISMAN on the table, which is nice, and plays a little quicker.

More
19 May 2014 13:51 #178442 by Michael Barnes
And you can kill Aslan to become Beastmaster.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors, jeb

More
19 May 2014 14:58 #178451 by Dogmatix

jeb wrote: Played PROPHECY twice this weekend with my son. Nice tidy little game there. It's TALISMAN reflected through Vlaada Chvatil. It's not roll-and-move, it's just move-a-little-or-a-little-more, but you do the same thing: bouncing around, having card-based adventures, gaining strength and craft (uh, "willpower"), and trying to get the Crown of CommandArtifacts that let you win the Final Battle.

It takes up much less space than TALISMAN on the table, which is nice, and plays a little quicker.

I've never actually been as disappointed by a well-regarded game as I was with Prophecy. For me, it felt like nothing more than a grade school math problem with somewhat better artwork. I played a few times against a variety of folks who normally smoke me at just about any sort of game, but particularly Chvatil's games and won every game without every feeling challenged by either the other players or the game itself. Perhaps it's just one of those games that I gr0ked more readily than anyone else (something so rare as to be thought mathematically impossible), but I felt like I was, I dunno, counting cards in a game of Go Fish or some such equally inaccurate analogy. On top of that, I seem to be among the small minority that found the theme even more pasted on than the worst of the Euro resource management/impress a fat, rich white guy games.

Prophecy was my first experience with a game that I seemed to play pretty well and yet never wanted to see again. I just couldn't find anything that resonated with me, which was utterly unexpected based on both my tastes (I usually enjoy VladChv games) and endorsements it received from otherwise reliable brothers in cardboard like King Put.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jeb, Gary Sax, Hatchling, wadenels

More
19 May 2014 15:13 #178452 by jeb
You mean it's not dripping with theme? None of these games are. Oh look, an elf. I WONDER WHAT THAT'S LIKE? All these tropes are completely interchangeable from TALISMAN, PATHFINDER, DESCENT, &c &c. You have a guy, the guy has arrows or some shit but can get a staff, kill monsters, get gold, buy glaives, and beat the Big Bad.

Is it dry? Yes. Did my son go on at length about how well he plays the Spellblade and showed me how he went from 4 willpower cubes to 9 willpower cubes? Also yes. That's what I was shooting for and it delivered. And I have to admit I chuckled at the clover, which you keep because it gives you luck for the rest of the game (luck is not a stat or anything you don't have fate counters or similar that this influences). And killing the Lion does make you Beastmaster.

I could say you don't need PROPHECY if you have TALISMAN--that seems fair. But I don't mind having both right now.

More
19 May 2014 18:23 #178464 by repoman
Charlie: They said you was hung!
Bart: And they was right.

So much for the rumors that Dogmatix got himself kilt and had his ashes shot into space.

Good to see you are alive and kickin

More
19 May 2014 19:08 #178466 by ubarose
Prophecy is less fun and more work than Talisman and the endgame is wholly unsatisfying.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
19 May 2014 21:02 #178470 by Sevej
Prophecy is alright. If not for that pile of IFs (ok, I got +1... waaaaait that's only for undead, back to +2, then...) and neck-bending movement choices (too many choice--for an adventure game--and you have to read cards in various orientation to weigh them all).
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
19 May 2014 21:28 #178473 by Gary Sax
THE PRODIGAL SON RETURNS!!!

More
20 May 2014 00:26 #178482 by ubarose

Sevej wrote: Prophecy is alright. If not for that pile of IFs (ok, I got +1... waaaaait that's only for undead, back to +2, then...) and neck-bending movement choices (too many choice--for an adventure game--and you have to read cards in various orientation to weigh them all).

Yes, too many movement choices for an adenture game, particularly one that is as light as this one. By the later half of the game you can usually move to any space on the board, it's just a matter of figuring out how to do it. The game just grinds to a halt as players calculate how to get to every f*ing space on the board and weigh whether it is worth the cost of getting there or not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax

More
20 May 2014 09:30 #178489 by iguanaDitty
Prophecy went overboard in trying to fix the movement "problem" of Talisman. Leveling up your hero is a cool idea but at least half the powers are movement related. I agree with the other critiques here and even so if the powers had been more interesting it might have worked better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jeb, wadenels

More
20 May 2014 10:52 #178493 by Bull Nakano
I understand Prophecy came out in the mid-00's rush to build the great new adventure game, but Runebound really won that race by a large distance, and since then we have great games like Merchants and Marauders and Firefly. I don't really understand why Prophecy is being reprinted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, bfkiller

More
20 May 2014 11:14 #178496 by JoelCFC25
The writing's been on the wall for some time, but I just wrapped up a PBEM game of Washington's War in which KingPut's 'MURICANS wiped the floor with my British.

More
20 May 2014 11:24 - 20 May 2014 11:48 #178498 by ubarose

Bull Nakano wrote: I understand Prophecy came out in the mid-00's rush to build the great new adventure game, but Runebound really won that race by a large distance, and since then we have great games like Merchants and Marauders and Firefly. I don't really understand why Prophecy is being reprinted.

An adventure is a risky undertaking with an uncertain outcome. This is not what many gamers really want. They want a calculable puzzle that they can optimize. Prophecy offers more of that than most other light adventure games.
Last edit: 20 May 2014 11:48 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, jeb, Gary Sax

More
20 May 2014 11:39 #178499 by jeb
My kid liked it folks, what can I say. It's not bad--sorry you've all had such a tough time with it. I don't think we had a turn go longer than a minute, and that was when we had to kill two of those big fellas for the Artifact.

Restarting my game night this week. Thinking RISK LEGACY--we're five games in.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.467 seconds