October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
01 Jun 2014 12:01 #179501 by RobertB
Black Barney wrote:

I traded for Age of Steam but have never played it. My wife and i like Railroad Tycoon but the board is just way too big

Age of Steam is good, but I'd try to trade it for a copy of Steam. Steam is a little better IMO.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2014 12:37 #179502 by VonTush

RobertB wrote: Gary Sax wrote:

2) Much bigger issue, and I sympathize, is the horrible board. Specifically, blue, purple and black all look very similar in good light. ESPECIALLY purple and blue. Blue is a shade of dark purple. It bit a couple people in the ass early and it (rightfully so) irked the shit out of them.

Off the top of my head, I think they fixed that on all the Railways of the World boards.

I've had to teach Railroad Tycoon a few times, and I try to point out that the colors are screwed up on the map. It doesn't help, though.

After your post Gary I stayed up way too late last night looking through all the Railways of the World stuff. I owned Railroad Tycoon years back and liked it, but traded it. I missed a lot of releases for Railways of the World and thanks to your post just about that entire run has gone up on my Want in Trade list...Time to start game hunting!

That game I liked a lot and I actually don't have any train games.

More
01 Jun 2014 13:55 #179504 by Michael Barnes
Age of Steam-a bunch of boring shit=Railways of the World/Railroad Tycoon, therefore RotW>Age of Steam.

RotW is the best train game ever. I need to get more of those expansions myself.

More
01 Jun 2014 14:48 #179505 by Hex Sinister

Pug wrote: Played a solo round of Gears of War - China Shop with Marcus

Cool, we played this mission several times this week as well. I don't remember it being so hard but we keep getting our asses chewed in that last room with the Hammer. Being low/out of ammo doesn't help and while we killed wretches down to two they quickly spawned themselves up to six and overran my partner. No nades left, it was textbook clusterfuck.

I'm thinking a good strategy is to save two nades for the emergence holes in the last room. We had a good rhythm going up til there at least, heh. Not getting slammed by that bitch in the doorway might also help :p
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, Pug

More
01 Jun 2014 15:14 - 01 Jun 2014 15:15 #179507 by Gary Sax
They did fix the color problem in the Railways of the World version. But it is a travesty of a problem. I want to get the western US expansion badly.

And man does that big map look cool with 5 players with their rail networks.
Last edit: 01 Jun 2014 15:15 by Gary Sax.

More
01 Jun 2014 16:24 #179509 by Pug

Hex Sinister wrote: I'm thinking a good strategy is to save two nades for the emergence holes in the last room. We had a good rhythm going up til there at least, heh. Not getting slammed by that bitch in the doorway might also help :p

Absolutely! I did my best to seal off emergence holes as I ran through the level, but as one COG I ran out of nades towards the end, and with the Berserker playing tag with me, I wasn't able to lob one off in the last room. I was so close to killing her, I needed one more wound, but she's got thick skin!

I'll be replaying this again this week for sure.

More
01 Jun 2014 17:15 #179510 by Stonecutter

Gary Sax wrote:
1) The rules for crossing a river (which is more expensive) are unintuitive and don't fit with reality that people have in their heads. I explained precisely what the rules are but people just couldn't get over it.

I... what? They didn't understand that crossing a river would cost more money than crossing open land? This seems really easy to deal with.

My biggest problem with RotW is that the board is just so goddamn big, even after they took the score track off. I'd love to have the western US map and set it up with the Eastern map but even at the FLGS that'd be a tall order.

More
01 Jun 2014 18:19 #179512 by repoman
I've played Railways with both US maps together. It didn't really do much other than adding to play time. It wasn't EPIC! It was just longer. Also Railways is the only train game I like other than ticket to ride

More
02 Jun 2014 08:38 #179531 by Legomancer
Good session yesterday. Started with Splendor while we waited for a couple of people. Still think it's okay, not captivated by it.

Then three of us played...ready for this one? Illuminati, which I was suddenly jonesing to play and threw into the crate at the last minute. More on that in another thread.

After that we killed a little more time with two games of Sushi Go!. I really want to get a copy of that one. It's a great little game.

Then three of us launched into Core Worlds with the Galactic Orders expansion. GO adds some decent stuff without adding to length or complexity, so there isn't much reason to not play with it. I'm not so sure about the upcoming expansion, which adds a whole nother deck to each player's already too-large required play area. That I think is CW's toughest sell point: even for three players it's a huge table hog. I'm also starting to wonder if this Star Realms game everyone's hot on will be a better substitute. Or even RFTG?

More
02 Jun 2014 09:29 #179536 by hotseatgames
While not a boardgame, I did get to play a game of Warmachine this weekend with my friends' figures. I was Khador and my experienced friend was Menoth. I had another experienced friend as my "adviser".

Things started out well for me, and I managed to kill 5 of his units, including a warjack. But on turn 3 he managed to get a warjack in a good position and killed my warcaster, ending the game. I'm told turn 3 or 4 is generally when a 25 point game ends anyway.

I think the game is cool, but there is a lot of down time and bookkeeping involved. The learning curve is also quite steep. I think this would be akin to learning Descent first edition with all expansions, from the start. Still, knowing when and how to execute the perfect turn is a pretty enticing feature of this game.

I imagine at one point or another I'll end up with an army.

More
02 Jun 2014 10:00 #179541 by Count Orlok

hotseatgames wrote: While not a boardgame, I did get to play a game of Warmachine this weekend with my friends' figures. I was Khador and my experienced friend was Menoth. I had another experienced friend as my "adviser".

Things started out well for me, and I managed to kill 5 of his units, including a warjack. But on turn 3 he managed to get a warjack in a good position and killed my warcaster, ending the game. I'm told turn 3 or 4 is generally when a 25 point game ends anyway.

I think the game is cool, but there is a lot of down time and bookkeeping involved. The learning curve is also quite steep. I think this would be akin to learning Descent first edition with all expansions, from the start. Still, knowing when and how to execute the perfect turn is a pretty enticing feature of this game.

I imagine at one point or another I'll end up with an army.

If you can wait until the end of the month, I have a starter box for Cryx (I think?) from some years back that was bequeathed to me that I can give up for cheap. I also have the Troll (I think?) starter from Hordes that I can pair with it.

More
02 Jun 2014 10:56 #179554 by hotseatgames
PM me whenever on it; maybe I'll bite.

More
02 Jun 2014 12:37 #179562 by Michael Barnes
Man, don't play Cryx...Cryx is for dyx. Khador is where it's at.

More
02 Jun 2014 12:49 #179564 by JoelCFC25
I played two giants of the CDG realm this weekend--both in meatspace, too. Wilderness War was an abbreviated affair where my French resigned at the end of 1758--Britain had received a steady diet of its Regulars/Highlanders cards, my raiding didn't go very well, and I lost a couple of leaders from disastrous battle results (in one, I forgot about the need to have a fortification to which I could retreat, and he rolled a 6 to my 1, so my entire stack died despite a heavy combat strength advantage).

Also knocked out a game of Paths of Glory where my Allied Powers clung on for dear life in the West for the first few turns before some CP misplays allowed me to demolish Metz and scurry into his rearguard, putting several armies OOS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, repoman

More
02 Jun 2014 13:46 #179569 by Black Barney

Stonecutter wrote:

Gary Sax wrote:
1) The rules for crossing a river (which is more expensive) are unintuitive and don't fit with reality that people have in their heads. I explained precisely what the rules are but people just couldn't get over it.

I... what? They didn't understand that crossing a river would cost more money than crossing open land? This seems really easy to deal with.

nah, the rules for crossing rivers is really weird in Railroad Tycoon. It's tough to get a handle on.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.591 seconds