October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
07 Sep 2015 02:23 #210101 by SuperflyPete
I adore clash of cultures, if anyone cares.

This weekend was kind of awesome and equally kind of fucked....

Played City of Horror, with 3. This is the nastiest game I've played in a long time, and playing with 3 sucks. This game needs 4-5. This was my third play and it was just a cluster from the get go. The wife had 5 antidotes by the third round and was being bitchy that we were "ganging up on her". Despite my Mama and Agent being dead as fuck. Despite the fact that she pick pocketed me of a NOPE card on the first round.

So, no whiners and no 3 players for this again. With the right crowd of Spartacus lovers, this game is the King of Fuckery. Hands down.

Played some Rummy 500 which I love to death.

Played one of the few games I will never, ever sell or trade: Mission Command <Sea>. Brilliant fucking light warfare. Cross between Stratego and Memoir '44. Everyone should own it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2015 03:50 #210102 by boothwah
Fun gaming weekend with my buddy for his bday bash.

Netrunner - got 3 games in with some basic Kate and Supermodernism decks for teaching. Everyone that played loved it, and maybe a few onlookers might have caught the fever. I love this game so much.

Cosmic Encounters - 4 player. My first time playing. Showed some promise for a King of the Hill type game. I'm sure it gets better on multiple plays.

Imperial Settlers - multiple plays. I really dig this. I think I'm going to have to get a copy. Was as much fun two player as a full four. I won first game as Romans just muddling through. Feels like a better looking sister of 7 Wonders.

Escape: The Curse of the Temple - what a chaotic ball of fun. Died both games, but everyone had a good time and we entertained everyone who wasn't playing.

Quarriors :
The following user(s) said Thank You: aaxiom

More
07 Sep 2015 04:06 #210103 by boothwah
Stupid phone...

Quarriors - what a great little dice hucker. Not much else to say.

Arabian Nights - I was skeptical. I mean at it's core it's an arbitrary multiplayer choose your own adventure. Somehow it was fun. Probably wouldn't have been on a second play.

Samurai Sword - aka a better version of Bang. Broke this out after the all the kids and wives were there for the BBQ. Was almost a big a winner for that crowd as....

The Resistance - There is nothing simpler and better with a mixed group of no gamers. Best way to avoid parlor games like Balderdash or Cranium.

The Great Dalmuti - we broke out the easy chair for the Dalmuti seat and a crown and the peons had to sit on boxes. Everyone should own this little gem.

Seasons - I loved this game. Probably going to hunt down a copy.

Libertalia - Not so much.

The Coup - was a nice little 4 player game of B.S.

Merchants and Marauders - The Dutch screwed me. Still want to play this everytime I come over.

Tomorrow is Pandemic, Castles of Burgundy, Mice and Mystics, Takenoko, and a few others before heading home.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jexik, aaxiom

More
07 Sep 2015 09:22 - 07 Sep 2015 09:30 #210105 by RobertB
It was the family gamers' turn last night. The first game was Exploding Kittens. The cards are worth a laugh, but after four games, I don't think there's much game there.

Afterwards we played Sushi Go. I can win 7 Wonders once in a while, but I suck at this game. The family likes it, and if I'm in a mood to lose it may get played again.
Last edit: 07 Sep 2015 09:30 by RobertB.

More
07 Sep 2015 19:24 - 07 Sep 2015 21:34 #210125 by Jexik
I played Steampunk Rally last week. I can take it or leave it. Here's what I said in my comments section on BGG:

I almost won* by letting my machine fall apart every turn and rise like a phoenix from the ashes. I don't know if that's a bug or a feature.

This game is kind of like what would happen if Mario Kart and Troyes conceived an illegitimate child while Generic Space Guy #72 from Among the Stars watched.

You draft cards to attach to your racing invention, or discard for action dice. You place dice on pieces of your hodgepodge of an invention as it races along some S curves. You can take some shortcuts but with extra damage to your invention. You can armor up to absorb the damage, or elect to remove parts of your invention. You're supposed to slow down and vent off your old dice so you can place new ones on, and progressively make a bigger thing. But I just said, "screw it," and launched my used up parts like Stage 1 of a rocket. The resource that allows you to vent dice can also be used to bump up the pips on your dice, so I used those to just go faster.

*2nd out of 6. I would have won if I didn't get hit by this game's equivalent of a blue shell.

After a ton of Pandemic** games over the last couple weeks (since I got it) my girlfriend asked to play Tragedy Looper again. We played twice back to back! Both games were close and came to the Final Guess, which she got correct in the second game. We've got 4 more left in the base game, and then on to the extremely crazy-looking expansion.

**We managed to win 2p with 6 epidemics, after we won three times in a row on 5. I definitely feel that it's easier with two than with more players. I showed her Pandemic Legacy and now we want to get good at the base game before that comes out.
Last edit: 07 Sep 2015 21:34 by Jexik.

More
07 Sep 2015 20:24 #210126 by Cranberries

RobertB wrote: iguanaDitty wrote:

The production level of Tahuantinsuyu was pretty bad. If the new one has addressed some of the issues (mostly things being really hard to see, even with good eyes) it's worth a look.

For the new game, the board is significantly better. The new cards are printed on smaller cards, with smaller fonts, and are significantly worse. The fiddly bits are a wash. All my personal opinion.

I have a copy of Tahuantinsuyu. By far, the crappiest part of the production was the board, so I had the board laminated. I kept it rolled up a'la a crayon-rail laminated map. My wife decided one day that she liked it better on the game shelf folded, and folded that laminated sheet into quarters. I don't want to get mad at my wife, so I haven't really looked at the damage yet. It's been years, and I still don't want to see it.

Hey,

I weirdly injected myself into your gaming life and found a replacement map for your copy of Tautsanethanyahoo or whatever it is called:

boardgamegeek.com/article/20262865#20262865

I hope that is not too intrusive.

Give me your address or contact the guy directly and he'll send you one.

I have a wife who folds things as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pugnax555

More
08 Sep 2015 08:14 #210141 by RobertB
I'll get hold of Mr. Ernstein. Thanks for arranging this for me, I appreciate it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
08 Sep 2015 08:50 #210144 by hotseatgames
Yesterday my friend brought over his still-in-shrink copy of Space Hulk 4th ed. We then spent the next several hours cutting, sanding and gluing miniatures.

The production quality in this game is amazing; the sculpts are fantastic and there's no doubt you could only get this level of detail by using hard plastic. I did have to get creative with one of the genestealers and cut his lower jaw off and re-attach it because as is, he just wouldn't assemble.

I'll also say this: handling genestealers is an exercise in sore fingers. They are sharp on all sides!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
08 Sep 2015 08:55 #210148 by Black Barney
Played Dead of Winter a second time yesterday. Beat it easily. Think I might try hard next time.

Plays two games of Lord of the Rings, deckbuilding game. It's official, whoever has frodo or aragorn cannot lose. The advantage is too great. Getting Eowyn is actually a hindrance. Not just because her special card is terrible, but also because she's a woman

I miss Puerto Rico, I'm going to try and get my copy back

Played two drafts of magic. One with boosters, one with dragonstouts cube. Good fun but everyone complains about the mana problem of the game all the time. Also, I need to play more than seven creatures :(

More
08 Sep 2015 09:13 - 08 Sep 2015 09:17 #210151 by Jexik

Black Barney wrote: Played Dead of Winter a second time yesterday. Beat it easily. Think I might try hard next time.

It's in a weird place where it feels too easy if there isn't a betrayer, but if there is one it's hard. Hardcore with a betrayer is quite difficult to win, but that might also be fun in its own way and make victory sweeter. The scenario also makes a big difference in how difficult the game is. Some of the short ones like Raiding Party (with the right double searchers), Find the Cure, and We Need More Samples are cake walks. Too Many Mouths is by far my favorite short scenario; it really brings some resource tension to the game in a short time frame. Most of the medium and long scenarios are harder because burning through your starter items will come back to bite you over time.

Black Barney wrote: Played two drafts of magic. One with boosters, one with dragonstouts cube. Good fun but everyone complains about the mana problem of the game all the time. Also, I need to play more than seven creatures :(

I was looking up the drafting rule BREAD... Bombs, Removal, Efficiency, Aggro and Dregs, but my friend taught me the D as Dudes. I think that's a better way to look at it. When you are looking at a crappy set of cards, sometimes the Grizzly Bear or even Scathe Zombies is your best pick.
Last edit: 08 Sep 2015 09:17 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
08 Sep 2015 09:19 #210152 by Black Barney
I used BREAD for my drafting and mostly only took removal and evasion. Not enough creatures. We play 2v2 tho

I still can't identity what bombs are to save my life

More
08 Sep 2015 10:24 #210161 by lj1983
Played Argent for the first time. Had a wicked last two rounds, where I bought the Legendary Blue spell with a treasure, then had a supporter that allowed me to research twice on that spell. Then first play of the last round threw out consecrate(I think) that locked a room and allowed me to fill up the spots with my mages, so I took the room that had all the research actions. I still lost, but it was fun.

Lords of Waterdeep with 4. ready to get the expansion I think. Also between the two, I have plenty of Worker Placement for me. I think Agricola is going on the trade pile.

More
08 Sep 2015 12:09 #210169 by scrumpyjack
Haven't had a chance to play boardgames over the past few months due to wedding planning, a wedding, then a honeymoon. Got back into the swing of things with an awesome night of Luchador! Mexican Wrestling Dice. We played 2v2 tag teams which worked really well. After some basic games we moved to the advanced rules, and me and my wife lost three times in a row. The first two times I got pinned and didn't roll a single block or counter on all three rolls, and the third game one of our opponent's rolled two Luchador! dice and got BOTH 7 points hits which was an instant KO! He then turned the champion's belt into a true belt and wore it the rest of the night.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Egg Shen

More
08 Sep 2015 12:32 - 08 Sep 2015 12:33 #210171 by Jexik

Black Barney wrote: I still can't identity what bombs are to save my life

It's often a Mythic of some kind that is actually good, if you're playing new sets, or a big creature. It's something that basically says, "answer this or you lose." If people have spent most of their removal before you drop it, you can coast to victory.

Strong Planeswalkers like Elspeth, Sun's Champion. I've won games with awful decks that happened to have this.

Big creatures in some older sets, like something as simple as a Shivan Dragon. It has evasion and a big body, with something extra to do with your mana when you're out of cards later. Sure, Counterspell or Terror can shut it down, but if they don't have it, you can win. A bomb creature is something that can single-handedly turn the tide in a clogged board.
Last edit: 08 Sep 2015 12:33 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
08 Sep 2015 12:52 #210174 by Black Barney
Fireball is a bomb, right?

When playing new sets, I'm good at identifying the bombs. But when playing a cube of older sets, I have a heck of a time figuring it out. The cube i have is a pauper cube so there probably isn't a single bomb in the entire bunch

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 2.262 seconds