October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2658 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
08 Sep 2015 14:41 #210178 by Legomancer
Trying a new thing on my blog, On the Table , where I talk about what I've been playing.

Covered this week: Smash Up, 3012, Mysterium, Zaubercocktail, Arkadia, San Juan, Cockroach Poker, Mission: Red Planet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jexik, Frohike, scrumpyjack, charlest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2015 15:36 #210182 by Black Barney
yeah I had an opportunity to replay Smash Up yesterday and decided not to. It's ok.

More
08 Sep 2015 16:09 #210184 by SuperflyPete

Legomancer wrote: Trying a new thing on my blog, On the Table , where I talk about what I've been playing.

Covered this week: Smash Up, 3012, Mysterium, Zaubercocktail, Arkadia, San Juan, Cockroach Poker, Mission: Red Planet.

Like your new format, Dave. I, for one, appreciate the photos a lot. You should add a "Gray Matters" section where a mutual friend and yourself talk about how a certain other mutual friend complains about bad games, or better yet, co-ops.

I think I want Arkadia based on the toys alone. Never even heard of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer

More
08 Sep 2015 18:31 #210192 by Gary Sax

Legomancer wrote: Trying a new thing on my blog, On the Table , where I talk about what I've been playing.

Please let us know here or in a blog post whenever one of these goes up, I enjoyed it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer, Frohike

More
08 Sep 2015 20:01 - 08 Sep 2015 22:03 #210199 by KingPut

I should have suggested playing Mission: Red Planet last time I was up at Fat: Thursday. It's my 2nd favorite Area Control game after Struggle of Booze.

Bring it to Trashfest.
Last edit: 08 Sep 2015 22:03 by KingPut.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer

More
08 Sep 2015 22:37 #210204 by Chaz
I totally get that Chaos in the Old World is a really good game. I just cannot wrap my head around it. Every time I play it, I feel like I'm utterly incapable of doing anything that would lead to me winning.

Of course, it doesn't help when the dice hate me. In the game I'm playing now, I just watched the Khorne player wipe out four of my cultists in one turn with a single figure rolling two dice. He wound up rolling a total of five hits. Then he did something similar two turns later.

More
08 Sep 2015 22:39 #210205 by aaxiom

Chaz wrote: Of course, it doesn't help when the dice hate me. In the game I'm playing now, I just watched the Khorne player wipe out four of my cultists in one turn with a single figure rolling two dice. He wound up rolling a total of five hits. Then he did something similar two turns later.

Nah, the dice simply love him... but you just happened to get in the way this time. :-)

More
08 Sep 2015 23:08 #210206 by Shellhead

Chaz wrote: I totally get that Chaos in the Old World is a really good game. I just cannot wrap my head around it. Every time I play it, I feel like I'm utterly incapable of doing anything that would lead to me winning.

I have the same problem. I have played Chaos in the Old World a half dozen times now, and only came close to winning once. The rest of the time, I struggle with a sense of disconnect between setting and mechanics that makes every move seem counter-intuitive. It seems well-designed, but I just don't get it.

More
09 Sep 2015 11:29 #210225 by SuperflyPete
I'm with you. I'm not a fan of Chaos. I love the ~idea~ of it but it's just so fucking chromey that I can't really grasp how to play it effectively. Just not me cup'o'tea.

More
09 Sep 2015 11:48 - 09 Sep 2015 11:49 #210226 by Jexik
I played Chaos one time. It was around 11PM one Gen Con night after playing two Heroscape tournaments (10 hours) during the day. It was all of our first time and the game plus rules explanation took 3 hours. It was miserable. I haven't played it since, but I can see that it could be a good game. Because of this I refuse to learn new complicated games on Con nights. It's just painful. Codenames was great, and learning new prototypes is pretty much the only time you can do it, so I do it, but new stuff hot off the floor that people don't even know the rules for? Ugh. Pass.

Not that I've played it for a few weeks, but I put up a review of Dead of Winter over on BGG.

More Tragedy Looper and Pandemic for me lately. Girlfriend still loves both. Got her mom to try Pandemic too, and I guess she's asking to play it again. For Tragedy Looper we'll be doing the 7th scenario next, and she'll probably try her hand at being the Mastermind. I first tested her with Hanabi, but she's liked just about every game I've put in front of her, save for Impulse. I don't think I really cared for it either though!
Last edit: 09 Sep 2015 11:49 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, SuperflyPete

More
09 Sep 2015 12:04 #210228 by Gary Sax
It's a good review, Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
09 Sep 2015 12:33 - 09 Sep 2015 12:33 #210230 by Jexik

Black Barney wrote: yeah I had an opportunity to replay Smash Up yesterday and decided not to. It's ok.

Yeah, it's a game I don't really need to play again. It's not awful. It's just not particularly fun or original, like those mash-up T-shirts.
Last edit: 09 Sep 2015 12:33 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
09 Sep 2015 13:03 #210231 by SuperflyPete
Smash up is Heroscapey in theme, which should've worked better than it did, but it's absolutely boring the third play and beyond.

As for the review that you did, that's the best fucking review of DOW I've ever read. It's absolutely outstanding, and if you don't post it HERE AS WELL, as a front page article, you're doing yourself (and selfishly, us) no favors. That's what criticism is all about, and I am so happy to read someone's honesty, especially someone who is so close to Colby and Co.

Personally, I could take it or leave it. I think that Battlestar is substantially more intense and exciting, and it does virtually everything better than Dead of Winter. As a Zombie game thats semi-cooperative, I'd play City of Horrors 10 of 10 times over it. Where Dead of Winter is "do we have a betrayer", City of Horrors is "everyone is going to try to fuck my eyes out". And that's what "end of the world" reality is: self preservation above all else. DoW isn't a bad game by any standard - it's very good, but it simply pales when you compare it to BSG, and it does not stand up to scrutiny after the OMG ZOMBEEZ CO-OP BUT NOT REALLY THO LOLZ CAN I HAZ FOODBURGER OMG CROSSROADS! hype. Like you said, it's like Eldritch Horror where I just get SO TIRED of seeing the same shit repeatedly.

I've played DoW enough to feel I have a good handle on it, and it's good, but not great. Where BSG is on my forever shelf, DoW is on my trade pile, despite it being very good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
09 Sep 2015 13:17 #210233 by Black Barney
yeah, can u post it here? I can't see that other site from work. I've played Dead of Winter twice now and my thoughts are all over the place about it. I really feel like the traitor aspect is tacked on and dislike it. I like the co-op part especially cuz my friends and I are all around the same zero experience level with the game so it's TRUE co-op.

I hate BSG, btw.

I like LNOE the best I think for Zombie games. I always loved being Mr. X in Scotland Yard and it's fun having everyone against you.

City of Horrors sounds interesting

More
09 Sep 2015 14:22 #210243 by Jexik

SuperflyTNT wrote: As for the review that you did, that's the best fucking review of DOW I've ever read. It's absolutely outstanding, and if you don't post it HERE AS WELL, as a front page article, you're doing yourself (and selfishly, us) no favors.

I'm not quite sure how to do that since the site changed. I'll have to look into it tomorrow. I'm heading off to work and my evening is packed.

I give permission for any mods to post it if they want.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.961 seconds