Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 22 May 2017 13:45 #248854

Barney writing about board games? The anticipation is killing me!
  • Vlad
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 423
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 22 May 2017 13:59 #248856

I look forward to Black Barney helping me decide between Dogopoly and Catopoly.
  • hotseatgames
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1269
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Josh Look, charlest

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 22 May 2017 15:17 #248860

I recommend Polygomy
  • Black Barney
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2484
"We must let go of the life we had planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us." - Joseph Campbell

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 22 May 2017 16:13 #248861

charlest wrote:
Also, Specter Ops is better than Fury of Dracula. Boom.

Testify!
  • Unicron
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 81
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 22 May 2017 16:39 #248863

SuperflyTNT wrote:
superflycircus.com/2015/10/spurs/

I liked Spurs more than the rest of the folks I played with but it has some really funky bits - the mini games really kind of turn it into a grind and unnecessarily creates extra down time for every person but the active player.

Dude, the people you play with need a PPT. They either are seriously spatially challenged or have ADHD. The mini-games take like three die rolls, and the moves you choose are fairly obvious. Combat resolution in pretty much any game you can name takes longer. Heck, I've seen turns of Alhambra take longer. Your friends must be rolling on the floors, smacking each other with their fidget spinners during Nexus Ops. You all should probably just stick to Loopin Louie.
  • ubarose
  • Bene Gesserit Mother
  • Thank you received: 1407
Uba WANTS a lot of shitty opinions and HAS a tray of Maker’s Mark
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Shellhead, Jackwraith, stormseeker75, SuperflyTNT, Colorcrayons

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 22 May 2017 16:41 #248864

The fidget spinner comment makes Shellie's comment both cutting and of the times!
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
  • Thank you received: 5346
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 22 May 2017 16:47 #248865

ubarose wrote:
Your friends must be rolling on the floors, smacking each other with their fidget spinners during Nexus Ops.

• Colorcrayons
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 614

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 22 May 2017 16:57 #248868

ubarose wrote:
SuperflyTNT wrote:
superflycircus.com/2015/10/spurs/

I liked Spurs more than the rest of the folks I played with but it has some really funky bits - the mini games really kind of turn it into a grind and unnecessarily creates extra down time for every person but the active player.

Dude, the people you play with need a PPT. They either are seriously spatially challenged or have ADHD. The mini-games take like three die rolls, and the moves you choose are fairly obvious. Combat resolution in pretty much any game you can name takes longer. Heck, I've seen turns of Alhambra take longer. Your friends must be rolling on the floors, smacking each other with their fidget spinners during Nexus Ops. You all should probably just stick to Loopin Louie.

You're not wrong. One of the people I played with (if I recall) was Charlie Theel. Another was Dave Roswell (who is the reason fidget cubes were invented) the last guy was a rando at Origins who turned out to be a navel gazer. The minute he said "interesting decision" I immediately recoiled and realized I had rolled a critical failure in my saving throw vs. douchenozzles.

The second play through was my eldest, my wife, and Mickey "I'm always so high I forgot what sobriety is" Gib. Well, suffice it to say that my wife didn't like it (despite her threatening divorce after I told her I sold all of my complete Runebound set..) because of the dumb ass mini games and the overall sameyness of the tiles. My kid liked it because the pulling bullets from the bag is perfectly done and should be copied in every game, ever. Mickey repeatedly asked "so, what can I do again?" every turn which sapped my will to live. I won handily and they all voted that it should be given "Atlanteon Treatment" (hang it on a post and hit it with the 20 gauge).

Third play through was with my normal "legit game group". They all universally hated it, save me and one other guy. The mini-games. We all hate the mini games but while I saw them as a distraction from an otherwise fun little cowboy romp, they saw it as a massive design flaw.

It ended up with a better-than-middling score when I averaged all the polled scores, dropping the worst and best scores.

Funny thing is that the next week we played Firefly and they all lost their shit (same exact people in same exact groups) about how much fun it was, how awesome the paper money is (and it's the best I have seen to this very day), etc.

People kill me.
  • SuperflyTNT
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2957
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 22 May 2017 21:59 #248881

I never expected to read a sick burn from Ubarose. This really made my day. Kudos!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 22 May 2017 22:09 #248882

The best part was that Pete just capitulated...he was like "you know what,it's true".
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
  • Thank you received: 5346
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.460 seconds