October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
14 Sep 2015 13:53 #210643 by Mr. White

Space Ghost wrote:

Mr. White wrote:

Space Ghost wrote: Also, played the three Dragonlance board games quite a few times -- probably will write up a comprehensive review of those.

'Three' Dragonlance board games? I was only aware of two. The big gamemaster style wargame and that Pente looking MageStones game. What's the third?

The third is Dragons of Glory (released in DL11). It is a war game that has some similarities (perhaps even legitimate precursors) to War of the Ring --- the biggest being that the different factions have to be activated before they can become engaged in the battle. Further, some of the neutral factions can be activated by both sides. Also, I would recommend using the Paths of the Lance (homemade) expansion on BGG. It adds event cards that give the game a more modern feel.

The other two games shouldn't be discounted. The Dragonlance DOAM game has variable player powers and you can play with advanced rules that allow for dragon breath attacks. The altitude business makes it a bit fiddly, but not too bad -- you can just glue some of those height disks together for a quick way to switch in and out.

Magestones is interesting. It can be thought of as Pente, only you are effectively playing it on a cylinder because the board "wraps" around.

I was big DL fan in the 80s (what D&D playing boy wasn't?) and always wanted to play that DoaM game. Unfortunately, I never did. I do recall thinking it odd that Gilthanas was the Silver Dragon rider. IIRC, shouldn't that have been Laurana? It's been decades so I could be wrong.

I've never even seen a copy of Magestones.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2015 13:54 #210644 by Legomancer
Another episode of On the Table . Mentioned are Tides of Time, Medina, The Ancient World, Felix: The Cat in the Sack, Roll for the Galaxy, and Lords of Waterdeep.

More
14 Sep 2015 14:00 - 14 Sep 2015 14:01 #210645 by charlest

Rum and Bones stuff

I ended up grabbing a kickstarter copy off Ebay for surprisingly cheap.
Last edit: 14 Sep 2015 14:01 by charlest.

More
14 Sep 2015 17:20 - 14 Sep 2015 17:20 #210670 by san il defanso
Been playing a lot of the Five Tribes expansion. If the game didn't do anything for you, this will not change that. I would hardly call it essential, but it does mesh really well with what's already there, and I especially like how it varies the board setup some. The mountains give a little bit of constraint to the system.

I played a monstrous game of Duel of Ages II the other night. It was an 8-player quad map, which is a bigger setup than I usually do. We were also teaching a couple of new players. That game is a blind leap when it comes to introducing it to people. People either like it or they don't, but it's hard to gauge which you are before playing. It's also hard, as the guy teaching, to read how people are enjoying themselves. The complexity makes it a bewildering experience for some people, so people have to work a little to get into it. But I've had a lot of people who didn't appear to be enjoying themselves ask for the game later on, so there's that. In our game the Coach guy was eventually bewildered by a fairy queen and joined the other team. El Cid did the same thing later on. Also I was controlling Clara Barton and she got attacked by the battleaxe character, who grabbed me as I tried to run into Lith's cave. A double-amaze result threw Clara in prison, so I was down to one character after the loss of both Clara and Coach. The good news is that our team was able to dominate the labyrinths, like when Baron Von Krule aced that blind date. We were short two characters but ended up winning anyway.

A couple of players obviously were not into it, which is fine. A couple more seemed to be struggling with distractions around the table, which bogged us down a little. I think it was overall pretty successful though.

Also been playing Temporum. It's fine.
Last edit: 14 Sep 2015 17:20 by san il defanso.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, scrumpyjack

More
16 Sep 2015 01:45 #210731 by Michael Barnes
Man, Undercity ROCKS! Why aren't you people talking about it?

More
16 Sep 2015 06:47 #210736 by Black Barney
Played Splendor again

Can't decide if it's better to hoard the one pack and rush the nobles or to focus on the two pack and focus on two colours

More
16 Sep 2015 10:49 #210747 by Gary Sax
I think the noble rush is dangerous but can be effective. Nobles don't refill, so it only takes one other person at the table getting one or two of them to completely bone that strat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
16 Sep 2015 13:40 #210768 by Hex Sinister

Michael Barnes wrote: Man, Undercity ROCKS! Why aren't you people talking about it?

Been waiting for you to review it. I'm cheap.

More
16 Sep 2015 15:11 #210775 by Michael Barnes
I've played two scenarios and I think we may be looking at a top shelfer in the dungeoncrawl genre.

It really captures the unique "full metal fantasy" feel of Iron Kingdoms. In the last game I even had two Warjacks slamming into each other. It's somewhere between D&DAS and maybe Galaxy Defenders or Super Fantasy in terms of complexity/playtime...SUPER playable and easy to dig right into it.

The only issue so far is its overdone genre...but it is definitely pulling from some of the better designs in the field. It has movement like Claustrophobia, activations like Galaxy Defenders, the "bleeding out" from Gears of War...resolutions are old fashioned RPG/miniature game 2D6+stat with accuracy vs. defense/power vs. armor combat resolution.

But it also has this brilliant "side quest" thing going on that can develop over the 7 scenario campaign into an actual sub plot. And the characters have double (and triple) use Feat cards on top of XP-earned abilities.

So far I LOVE it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister, sornars, aaxiom, Feelitmon

More
17 Sep 2015 00:08 #210809 by VonTush
Worked through the first two missions of my copy of Space Cadets: Away Missions.

I'll be honest, I backed this game mainly because of the connections to this site. There wasn't much that wowed me during the campaign with the art, setting and mechanics all seeming fine but there was that not quite there vibe and were it not for my years here, likely I would have passed...And it would have been a huge mistake.

The promo book and specifically Al's forward is what really brought it home for me, the negatives early on that had me questioning my pledge were flipped on end and for me really gave the game a soul. Critically and measured against what is possible and has been done and will be done...Well Bill Bricker's note about designing the Sentinel for the game I think sums up how I feel about the game so far perfectly "As a group we spent quite a bit of time trying to balance the idea that he should look like someone in a rubber suit vs making him scary enough. In the end I think the balance is just right."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dutch, Columbob, Frohike, Egg Shen, Feelitmon

More
17 Sep 2015 03:41 #210812 by Feelitmon

VonTush wrote: Worked through the first two missions of my copy of Space Cadets: Away Missions.

I'll be honest, I backed this game mainly because of the connections to this site. There wasn't much that wowed me during the campaign with the art, setting and mechanics all seeming fine but there was that not quite there vibe and were it not for my years here, likely I would have passed...And it would have been a huge mistake.

The promo book and specifically Al's forward is what really brought it home for me, the negatives early on that had me questioning my pledge were flipped on end and for me really gave the game a soul. Critically and measured against what is possible and has been done and will be done...Well Bill Bricker's note about designing the Sentinel for the game I think sums up how I feel about the game so far perfectly "As a group we spent quite a bit of time trying to balance the idea that he should look like someone in a rubber suit vs making him scary enough. In the end I think the balance is just right."

That is a great quote, and you've amped my anticipation for the game even that much more! This will be the game that finally gets me painting again, I think. I figure a bunch of saucermen, thralls, and bugs have a good chance of getting me back into it.

Oh, and I can't wait to find the Space Monkey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dutch

More
17 Sep 2015 10:01 #210823 by charlest
WWE Superstar Showdown - Two tag matches and two beatdowns. I'm now 0-4 at this game but really enjoy it. In the first game I tagged in half-way through and laid a beat down on Cena with Big Show. Did 8 damage with one attack and he was reeling.

Momentum shifted and I was shoved back towards the opponent's end of the ring and I never recovered, had too hard of a time getting out of that deathtrap. Really dig the emphasis on maneuvering in the Tag Team matches.

Wiz-War - Been awhile since we pulled this out and got it back to the table. Still finding it working exceptionally well with all decks mixed together from both expansions. We saw creatures/totems and base game spells and it rocked. I got off to a great fast start and of course was ganged up and eliminated. Love it.

One Night Ultimate Werewolf - Everybody already knows how I feel about this one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Frohike, scrumpyjack

More
17 Sep 2015 23:34 #210871 by ratpfink

Scott_F wrote: Last game is Successors, a favorite of ratpfink here on the forums that I had a chance to play against. I first tried this about 4 months ago or so at a con where he taught it. The game somewhat aims to be a multi player Hannibal RvC and doesn't really succeed for me. I liked it alot my first play and after my second try last week I have to lower my rating...

One of the things I really like about this game is that it's pretty chaotic and because of that you are never really out of it. Yes, the "all or nothing" combat is pretty brutal, but at long as you don't lose both generals on, say, the first tyche card of the turn, you're not in that bad of shape. And people tend to leave you alone when you get beat up because they really need to be paying attention to the leader. Usually you can just about fully recover from a military perspective if you give it a turn after you were wiped out. So as long as it doesn't happen in turn 4... Embrace the chaos!

More
18 Sep 2015 04:40 #210877 by KingPut
Big Ameritrash Wednesday night:

First up I lost a close X-Wing match. My opponents write up is here X-Wing session report . I love the IG's and heavy cannon but I need to tinker a little with ships.

Next up a 6 player Axis and Allies. We played through 3 turns. The Axis came close to victory by taking India, some of Russia cities but the tide is turning. I'm thinking the Allies will pull it off. Allies have researched Jets and cheap ships and Allied economy is rolling. We'll finish it up next week.

More
18 Sep 2015 08:25 #210883 by SuperflyPete
With regards to Wiz War, I played it at GenCon with 4 or so players and found it wholly lacking. There was certainly the oft-overused "Knife Fight In A Phone Booth" vibe but it just seemed kind of awkward and very old-school, and not in a good way. I'm kind of glad I never picked it up. I'd be willing to give it a few more plays but at the end of the day, I think Dungeon Twister is a vastly superior game that does the same thing.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.128 seconds