Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 25 Jul 2017 13:29 #251646

Thanks, lj. We definitely like the way the game worked. I bought the FF expansion so I'm curious to see how Galactus plays out.
MWChapel wrote: Euro's are trying to bring gaming to the level of competitive sports. Competition based on skill outweighs the basic theme driven escapism. Sport over entertainment.

Jeb wrote: If...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 25 Jul 2017 14:24 #251647

The Wife and I finished Pandemic Legacy a couple of weeks ago and what a blast it has been. I'm very impressed with the storytelling in the game and the sheer scope of the experience. We did quite well, but still managed to lose the final two games which was very irritating. Especially when we discovered we had forgotten to open #30. If we had had that information earlier, we most likely would have won. But that was really the only fuck up we made, and we're very much looking forward to Season 2.

We then made it through the first three scenarios of Arkham Horror: The Card Game. We only have one core game and the Dunwich Legacy expansion, but we still managed just fine. So while having two core sets is essential if you want to play three or four players, you don't really need it to have fun with the game. And it is a lot of fun. Again we were impressed with the storytelling, but the game itself is also quite simple. And while we missed a few minor things here and there, the procedural stuff is much simpler than in LotR even if they are somewhat similiar. We are definitely gonna play this some more, and I'm also enjoying it as a solo experience.

During our holidays I spotted Battle Sheep and bought it for the kids (5 and 8). It's a cute game where you have to use your stack of sheeps to caputre hexes and block the other players. And even though it's obviously an abstract with a pasted on theme, I like the illustrations and especially the heavyness of the tokens you move around the board. And since the kids can play it themselves, it's a keeper.

I'm not so sure about keeping Escape From 100 Million BC, though. I've soloed it once and now played a two-player game, and while there is a lot to like, it was a bit long and not very dramatic both times. And unlike Arkham Horror - they obviously share some of the same DNA - I'm not interested in the small stories this game tells. Some of the dinos have interesting effects (especially those with the pack ability), but mostly both the creature encounters and the adventures feel a bit bland. I still have to try it with the kids, but I think they woulld rather just play Dungeonquest.
  • mads b.
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 343
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.326 seconds