Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 05 Aug 2017 20:58 #252167

san il defanso wrote:
Wiz-War It's still one of the best games there is, and this week was a wonderful reminder that we really don't need many games at all when there as good as Wiz-War.
This is my opinion as well.
I want a bunch of games to be as good as wizwar, but they aren't, and that's OK.
I'll just keep playing wizwar more and more as my opponents will allow for it.
  • Colorcrayons
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 816
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, Frohike

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 06 Aug 2017 02:01 #252173

Played a game of Comacheria, I have a ton of solo game time during my days in Lubbock.

I will be god damned if this game is not one of the harder games I've played. The designer talks about how the Comanche are known for playing tons of games, horse racing, etc that feature gambling so he tried to flavor the game with that. This game puts me on tilt like no other game I've played---not even my time playing a lot of online poker. The raid mechanic has me just mashing the button for "JUST ONE MORE TIME" when it doesn't work and you draw enemy actions instead of successes. I literally stacked up like 15-20 AP from 3-4 "just one more" raids looking for a success. Which of course came back and destroyed me. Lost in the final scoring of era one after I felt pretty secure 30 minutes before.

This game is all about making marginal gains and then laying low and realizing those gains rather than pressing for more. But it's so hard not to do more raiding than you strictly have to because you just want to get to the end of the turn and kill one more settlement...
  • Gary Sax
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2500
Last Edit: 06 Aug 2017 13:38 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Unicron

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 06 Aug 2017 02:13 #252175

Gary Sax wrote:
Played a game of Comacheria...

Gary, you may not have played Navajo Wars, but if you have, would you deem Comacheria to be the superior title?
  • aaxiom
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 37
Last Edit: 06 Aug 2017 02:14 by aaxiom.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 06 Aug 2017 13:34 #252177

I have played Navajo Wars 2-3 times and I own it, Barnes's old copy I think. I think Comancheria is better, but not necessarily because it's fundamentally a better design but rather a more amenable situation to exciting simulation.

I think that the Comanche experience---warlike expansion, direct conflict at times esp. with other first nations---and then consistent conflict into the 1890s *even when they got pushed onto the res* makes it a much more obvious fit for a dramatic solo game. You also have a much stronger feeling of having "bases" with "units" on the board which makes the game more concrete too. It refines the engine a bit and I think the refinements to the chit pull system are key (I wrote about on the front page here fortressat.com/articles-analysis/5698-on...c-review-comancheria). We can continue in the dedicated thread if you want to know more, I divide my thoughts on the game between here and the thread and I'm never sure what the right thing to do is.

FWIW, I think this and Fields of Fire are the best solo games of all time because of some innovations they make. GMT is killing it with solo games, especially the ones that slip through the p500 and seem obscure. I think the p500 is working just as we used to hope kickstarter would, it generates some brilliant "outsider" designs in terms of mechanics and doesn't have to do some sort of shiny production thing to get the small number of orders.
  • Gary Sax
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2500
Last Edit: 06 Aug 2017 13:37 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, aaxiom, Unicron

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 06 Aug 2017 18:07 #252180

Gary Sax wrote:
I have played Navajo Wars 2-3 times and I own it, Barnes's old copy I think. I think Comancheria is better, but not necessarily because it's fundamentally a better design but rather a more amenable situation to exciting simulation.

I think that the Comanche experience---warlike expansion, direct conflict at times esp. with other first nations---and then consistent conflict into the 1890s *even when they got pushed onto the res* makes it a much more obvious fit for a dramatic solo game. You also have a much stronger feeling of having "bases" with "units" on the board which makes the game more concrete too. It refines the engine a bit and I think the refinements to the chit pull system are key (I wrote about on the front page here fortressat.com/articles-analysis/5698-on...c-review-comancheria). We can continue in the dedicated thread if you want to know more, I divide my thoughts on the game between here and the thread and I'm never sure what the right thing to do is.

FWIW, I think this and Fields of Fire are the best solo games of all time because of some innovations they make. GMT is killing it with solo games, especially the ones that slip through the p500 and seem obscure. I think the p500 is working just as we used to hope kickstarter would, it generates some brilliant "outsider" designs in terms of mechanics and doesn't have to do some sort of shiny production thing to get the small number of orders.

Gary, I am remiss to have missed your review here. My apologies for making you have to repeat yourself. Excellent review, by the way.

Good idea on the dedicated thread.
  • aaxiom
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 37
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 06 Aug 2017 21:09 #252186

So, my main man "Dave Roswell" came By to visit for my birthday weekend. We played a mess of shit. Here how it went:

Patchwork x2

Still love this stupid little game. It's relatively fast and there's a lot of strategy in the inner layers once you figure that out. Depth comes from the choices and it's such a mechanically simple game that it takes all of 3 minutes to teach.

Battleball (match to 3)

Dave was skeptical because of the amount of luck involved, especially when my running back cruised through his line and scored on the first 6 turns. But he came back and scored twice in a row, winning. We killed off half our teams with a lot of 1 rolls. Good shit.

Quarantine X1

I'm still on the fence with this one but it's really quite smart. I may need to come up with some house rules to make it more interesting or something for 2P games.

The short version is that Dave's hospital had a line out front that makes the most hood-ass urgent care look like the Ritz Carlton. I think he won.

Dice Stars x2

I've never heard of this before but it's a Bruno game and as it turns out, it's pretty cool. Very weird as far as the scorecard but after a little bit of playing it just kind of clicks and is surprisingly fun and very brisk.

5 Finger Severance

The same guy who made Vast made this game long ago. Vasel shit on it due to the theme, but it's a really fun little game that kind of defies a genre. My wife is clearly a more profound dirtbag than Dave and I as she barely beat him, despite him being the one fucking with our characters the most, and she beat my ass soundly. I really want to Pimp this out with miniatures and a better laid out board.

Super Pacs x3

Still my favorite card game. So much fun. It's really a simple little tableau builder but it has plenty of interaction and many ways to win. I beat him twice soundly and the last time he waffle stomped me like a turd in the shower.

Splendor x1

This game is easily the most robustly boring game I've ever played. I wanted to give it another shot with Dave since I've only played it maybe 5 times, twice with a boring person. It's definitely not good with 2, but it's still boring with more. Just a boring game with no interaction. Fuck it. Never again.

The Adventurers x2

We both lost twice. TPK twice. He got hot lava melted once and crushed by the boulder thrice, I got killed by the boulder thrice and by the walls once. I STILL love it - it's like a static version of Dungeonquest with better components. It's very hard to survive and harder to survive with a good hoard of artifacts.

Details of the weekend here:
(Placeholder for link)
  • SuperflyTNT
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3429
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4
Last Edit: 06 Aug 2017 21:32 by SuperflyTNT.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames, aaxiom, JEM

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 07 Aug 2017 08:28 #252197

Terraforming Mars - This game is pure awesome. It's got hardly any rules. It's all in the card interactions. We played two games. Our first was 3 hours. Second was 2. I expect those will increase as we draft.

Rattlebones - This is a really great idea in need of an actual game.
MWChapel wrote: Euro's are trying to bring gaming to the level of competitive sports. Competition based on skill outweighs the basic theme driven escapism. Sport over entertainment.

Jeb wrote: If...
The following user(s) said Thank You: aaxiom

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 07 Aug 2017 10:34 #252202

Got a game of Warhammer 40k in at 35 power with my Craftworld Eldar against Chaos Renegades.

My list:
Farseer Skyrunner
Windrunners x3
Wraithguard with D-Scythes x5
Night Spinner

Opponent:
Renegade-equivalent of a Commissar x3 (4?)
Thudd guns x3
3x Rapier Laser Battery
10 Mutants
10 Militia

We played the second Konor mission and my opponent was the defender as he had a Chaos force. The game was pretty much always going to be won by my opponent unless I could wipe him from the board. The defender scored a point for every unit he had left at the end of the game and he had 13 units (Rapiers all count as individual units and the crew counts as a separate unit from the gun per the Forgeworld books). Kill points for units were only awarded if the unit that dealt the final blow had an unmodified 3+ or better save. As the only thing in his entire force I needed to worry about were his artillery (with a 3+ save), anything he killed of mine would also earn him a point.

The game still turned out to be a blast. My Wraithguard were awesome slaughtering everything in their path until the combined power of the Rapiers and Thudd guns took them out in Turn 5. The Thudd gun unit was putting out 45-50 shots a turn and I still managed to get the last surviving Wraithguard into melee (I needed to stop them from firing somehow). The rest of my force was significantly less impressive. The Night Spinner took the game off only managing 7 shots in two turns of shooting before taking 25 damage from the Rapiers. The Windrunners were again garbage, managing to kill a lone militia before getting shot to pieces. The Farseer served its purpose of pumping up the things around it and the Feel No Pain-equivalent psychic power really helped the Wraithguard slog through heavy fire.

Takeaways for next time, I really need to get a troop unit so I can use Command Points (or at this point, two more Wraithguard(blades) to qualify for Vanguard). My Wraithguard need speed as they are so slooooooooooow and have such tiny range (8"). I will remedy the second part as I am adding a Wave Serpent for next week so they can get across the board in style. I really have no idea what to do with the Windrunners. They do not fill a troop slot, cannot take much fire before disintegrating, and provide me with nothing that could not be provided by a replacement unit. Yes, they can dart around to pick something off, but if I really needed to do that, why wouldn't I just use Rangers so I can headhunt?
  • barrowdown
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 262
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 08 Aug 2017 15:55 #252257

More of a random thought since I haven't actually played the game: I like ants and everytime I look at March of the Ants I think about whether it's any good but most of the reviews, including Barnes' are middling. And they are middling not just in his "oh it's a derivative game" sense but in a "yeah, it's good, but it's not as great as the games it's a derivative of".

Edit: Apparently an expansion is being released as we speak. I wonder if it improves the game.
  • Erik Twice
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 839
Last Edit: 08 Aug 2017 16:06 by Erik Twice.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 08 Aug 2017 17:13 #252259

My main beef with March of the Ants is that each time I played it felt like there wasn't a lot of time to grow my colony; it was over pretty soon (four rounds of play).
  • JEM
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 584

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 09 Aug 2017 11:35 #252286

JEM wrote:
My main beef with March of the Ants is that each time I played it felt like there wasn't a lot of time to grow my colony; it was over pretty soon (four rounds of play).
Yeah, this is the kind of criticism that worries me. If a game is derivate that's fine, I can see myself choosing it over the alternatives. But if it's not quite there for its own merits that's not something I can ignore.
  • Erik Twice
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 839

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 09 Aug 2017 12:10 #252288

Played a game of Catan with my 17- and 16-year-old daughters. I was feeling nostalgic about Catan for some reason, and it seemed like it might go over fairly well with them. My older daughter generally likes to play board games, but the decision making tends to freak my younger daughter out. I guess you could say it's a bit perverse or cruel, but I try to entice the younger into playing some games partly as a way to give her some more comfort with making choices. Catan's choices are pretty simple, and she seemed to cope with them pretty well (after we worked collaboratively on the initial setup--which, in fairness, can really hose you if you do it wrong). The game turned out to be one of the more pleasant experiences I've had with the game. We all were pretty close at the end and had a viable chance of winning. There was also an appropriate level of bickering and thwarting.
  • jpat
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 246
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik, SuperflyTNT

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 09 Aug 2017 12:36 #252290

Erik Twice wrote:
JEM wrote:
Yeah, this is the kind of criticism that worries me. If a game is derivate that's fine, I can see myself choosing it over the alternatives. But if it's not quite there for its own merits that's not something I can ignore.

Something that was really cool with it was that in a two player game, I tried siccing the centipedes onto my opponent, but that ended up giving him a bunch of battle victory points and lost me the game. I mostly got it for the solo game, which is a decent puzzle.
  • JEM
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 584

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 09 Aug 2017 14:09 #252297

Oh, so I got some bday $ and got some stuff, plus review copies. Reviews will be up at MinMarRevCo sometime soon.

1. Dice Heist
Perfect little "smoking on the deck" game. It's very rules light but decisions are there, and meaningful if not sparse. I played twice. Everyone thought it was fun. Got it for like 10$.

BUT AS AN ASIDE, Zee Garcia proved why I don't trust Dice Tower anymore. He said in his review that a core mechanic was so useless that he wouldn't even mention it. He clearly played it ONCE if that. Basically, you have a choice to roll a die and get higher than the target number to get a stack of prizes. But if you just want ONE prize in a stack, you have to hit EQUAL TO OR GREATER THAN the target number. This is absolutely necessary to utilize and I cannot envision how he thinks it's trivial unless he never played it.

2. Mars Attacks: Dice Game
This game was mehtastic on an existential level. Never before has a game been so obviously thrown together. Well, maybe not "never". Anyhow, I gave like 10$ for it in an auction. Avoid.

3. Review copy: Gang Rush: Breakout
HOLY SHIT. This is the successor to Thunder Road and it is the king shit. Bits are amazing. Gameplay brisk and fun. Only downside is that the paper money is 0.5" x 0.25" paper chits. It's horrible. Beyond that it's my new fave of 2017. Best when playing with shit talkers...it's that kind of game. If you didn't get Thunder Road this is a great substitute, albeit more complex.

4. Review Copy: Banana Bandits
I love the production value as far as the vertical board layout and the art, and the game is very simple but has strategy. It's like Mario Kart meets Donkey Kong. You climb and try to get coins, while killing others to steal their shit and avoiding your own demise. Massively diced up game - like 70 rolls per person per game.

I don't like the monkey/coin pieces because you clip the coins onto the monkeys and they fray pretty easily (and tend to fall sometimes into a pit of other coins). I don't hate them but it would've been nice to have a paper craft backpack or something. Gang Rush has a bunch of cars stock bits you assemble to make ramps and crates so they could've done it for the monkeys or something. Fun but definitely a game where you have to be good and buzzed because it can get a hair repetitive.
  • SuperflyTNT
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3429
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 09 Aug 2017 15:02 #252301

I was coerced into playing Vegas Showdown on paper mats. It was awful. They worked fine, but I spent the entire game in terror that I might spill a drink on them, or bend a corner and the game would be ruined forever. At one point the cat jumped on the table and I damn near panicked that it might throw up on the fragile paper components.

Good game though. They really need to make an edition out of bronze so it will be more durable.
  • Sagrilarus
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2658
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.446 seconds