Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 06 Sep 2017 21:01 #253829

I've read/look some reviews on SWD... the main complaint is how you sort of encouraged to have 2 dice to a character. That means getting the super rare version of Luke isn't enough. You have to get them twice. And you only get 1 die per booster. On the other hand, you only need two, so it's much lower threshold before you start trading. One guy on the Dice Tower open 4 boxes and only get 1 Luke I think.
  • Sevej
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 635
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 06 Sep 2017 22:22 #253833

IMG_20170906_190143.jpg

Beginning turn 4. This map ended up being a complete meat grinder with no cover in the middle row. And I just drew a counterattack.
  • Gary Sax
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2418
The following user(s) said Thank You: cranberries, Sagrilarus, Msample

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 07 Sep 2017 11:58 #253865

Sevej wrote:
I've read/look some reviews on SWD... the main complaint is how you sort of encouraged to have 2 dice to a character. That means getting the super rare version of Luke isn't enough. You have to get them twice. And you only get 1 die per booster. On the other hand, you only need two, so it's much lower threshold before you start trading. One guy on the Dice Tower open 4 boxes and only get 1 Luke I think.

I guess that might be true if you're playing competitively in tournaments. There's definitely an advantage to having two dice for a character (the game calls that the "Elite" version of a character). I wouldn't say it's "encouraged" though, and I don't see it as a flaw in the game. I actually see it as a nice design feature that makes the inevitable duplicate card a GOOD thing, rather than an annoyance. Instead of, "Ugh, I got a useless second Luke card" ... it's "Yay, I got a second Luke card!"

The Elite versions are cheaper too. For example, Luke might have a cost of 13 points for the base version and 17 for the elite. That means the first die costs you 13 points (out of your allotted 30 points to build your team), but the second die only costs 4. That's a no-brainer decision.

If you're just playing casually though, none of that really matters. The only elite characters I have are the two that come with the starter boxes -- Kylo Ren and Rey -- and that's been fine. That hasn't hampered my play experience at all.
  • Joebot
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 196

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 07 Sep 2017 12:16 #253870

I could write it off really easily except that, of course, the characters in legendary are some of the most iconic in terms of the lore. So I do think it's rough that the legendaries are the most famous classic characters... but it's good business sense.
  • Gary Sax
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2418

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 07 Sep 2017 13:53 #253874

I agree with that to some extent, but on the other hand it's Star Wars and I would actually rather play with Admiral Ackbar and IG-88 than Luke and Vader. But I kind of do like it that you have a use for a second rare character, and it does cost more to play with them. So far I just have Kylo Ren and Rey, and I have the elite upgrade because I bought two of the starters. I haven't seen where the elite upgrade made a HUGE difference other than giving you maybe a slight advantage on the first turn or two since you have an extra die out of the gate.

So I have to say I'm not overly worried about it...if I were playing in tournaments, worried about the meta and all that...maybe I'd feel differently about it.

I still have no idea what I am getting in the mail from my Ebay purchase. They changed the listing AFTER they shipped to just be ONE box of Awakenings. So I may have slipped in under the radar. If it is just one, I guess I'll just be happy with that.
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
  • Thank you received: 5835
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 08 Sep 2017 01:09 #253900

Legomancer wrote:
Had a great time at ConnCon this weekend. Here's what I played:

Tramways* - I'd never heard of this but walking past it caught my eye and they thankfully had a slot open for a teaching game. There's a comic book series I like called 'Mister X' which is about a retrofuturistic art deco dystopia in which the architecture of the city went wrong and now the city itself, despite its technological advances, is psychologically damaging to its inhabitants. Tramways could easily take place in this city.

On its surface it's a straightforward track-laying pick-up-and-deliver game, but there are a lot of interesting thematic elements, including the fact that over-extending yourself (and even just going first in a round) causes "stress". Stress costs you VPs, so you need to work that down. As a bonus for me, the stress track ascends in a Fibonacci sequence.

It's not going to fire any other games of its type, and although it does some interesting things, it's not extremely compelling. Yet there's something about it I really liked.

Yeah, I visited our local Eurogamer group tonight and met some old gaming friends and we played this. The explanation took an hour, and the auction melted our brains, repeatedly. I fought hard for third place, and the new kid in the group essentially dethroned the old guy train gamer who usually crushes us, so it was interesting and *something* to see the changing of the guard. I also liked the stress track. I'd sort of like to play it again after investing that much time (3.5 hours, four people) but they mentioned playing Steam next week with some new maps and that sounds like it would be even more fun. Of course, Terraforming Mars or something that you all rave about would be even better, but I'll take what I can get. Also, Superfly Pete recommended Automobile to me, and I thought he was talking about a Martin Wallace game, then saw "Automobiles" on the shelf at the store where we were playing and SuperMcPeteFly's comment suddenly made sense.

Tramways after 3.5 hours:

Mr. X? It looks interesting.

I wish someone would take Steam and have Chris Ware reskin it.

• cranberries
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1012
Last Edit: 08 Sep 2017 09:13 by cranberries.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 08 Sep 2017 04:09 #253903

Mr. X? It looks interesting.

first four issues done by the Hernandez brothers were great. Lost interest after they quit.

• dontbecruel
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 27
Last Edit: 08 Sep 2017 04:11 by dontbecruel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cranberries

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 08 Sep 2017 04:16 #253904

Went to a mostly Eurogaming thing this weekend.

Best new game of the week was City of Iron.
From TOS:
In City of Iron, 2-4 players compete to build up a small nation in a world of machines, magic, and money. Become the leader of one of four rival nations: the industrious humans, the toad engineers, the scholarly Cresarians, or the clever hogmen. Produce goods like machine parts and bottled demons to gain wealth, or research steam-age technology and recruit mercenaries to control the continent. If you want to establish new cities, you’ll build schooners or airships to reach faraway lands and flying islands. Your cities have limited capacity, so you’ll have to decide what to keep and what to demolish when building advanced structures. The future of a nation is in your hands. Build unbreakable foundations for an empire or disappear into the dusty pages of history.

Build a civilization in a Steampunk setting
Customize two decks of cards in a unique twist on deck-building
Choose your path- build a powerful economy or conquer everything in sight
Includes hundreds of lavishly-illustrated cards, an extra-large board, land boards, coin tokens, and more

My rating is about a 7 on TOS. It's pretty good for this type of game. I'm not buying it but I'd play it again.

Best old school Euro. Taj Mahal. This is a top 3-5 Reiner Knizia game in my book. Classic Knizia style game. Brilliant under the surface mathy design. The best part of this game was that one big time Euro player threaten to hit me in the face and the other long time BGG computer guy threaten to choke me. No passive-aggressive play here. This full on aggressive player interaction. Yeah I finished 3rd out 5 but it was a lot of fun. TOS rating 7.5.

At my regular Wednesday game group, I played a Handful of Stars with Malloc and Bobbytweek or the Bucheri brother. Cool space, deck building game. We like the evolution from a Few Acres of Snow. For space 4X games I'd rated it below Ti3 but higher than Eclipse and Star Trek game. My TOS rating = 7.5.

Next week we'll be playing Ti4. I'm very excited to try that out.
  • KingPut
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 462
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, cranberries, Scott_F

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 08 Sep 2017 09:42 #253912

A Handful of Stars sounds great. I guess we'll wait and see if it hits the main distribution channels.
  • cranberries
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1012

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 08 Sep 2017 10:43 #253915

Taj Mahal is a masterpiece. Take away all of the royal India stuff and it is straight up a game about FIGHTING. Like a few classic Knizia games, he does that neat thing where he gives you more than you need to win a battle...but not enough to win every battle. So you have to decide what is worth fighting for, what is worth surrendering, and what is worth PRETENDING like you are going to fight for. I really hope this is the next one that gets a reprint, it deserves to come back in a nice modern edition like Ra, Amun-Re, T&E, Samurai, Modern Art, etc. It's in that tier.

I played the Doctor Who miniatures game solo a couple of times since I got the Doctor (12th) and companions for it. It's pretty fun! It's still stupid as hell and the rules are horrid...for example, there are these adventure cards and it just kind of implies in the rules that you take however many you want, no worries. But then there's weirdness abound with those. And everything else. What happens if Jenny Flint and Madame Vahstra both want to take a sword? One card. Timing issues are not explained at all. Why do the Cybermen and Daleks have no cards specifically for them, although some cards are CLEARLY specifically for them? When can I actually play a Battle Card? Are the Vortex Nodes in the solo scenario actual Vortex Nodes or just enemy entry points? Where the hell is the "damage table"?

Anyway, the solo game is a straight up run for the TARDIS escape. Daleks (or Cybermen, or both) stream through four entry points and move in your basic "toward the closest ally" kind of fashion. I just used the dopey cardboard terrain because I was too lazy to pull out the real stuff, but I wish that I had because it makes a big difference. Strax and Clara headed right, he getting into position to use his Sontaran Blaster on a Dalek approaching the deployment zone, she using her Maverick ability to spend a fate token to move twice (because she's slow and needs that to get into cover). The doctor sort of headed up the middle, probably having very conflicted feelings and furrowing his eyebrows under his sonic sunglasses, while Jenny Flint and Madame Vashtra (armed with an energy pistol since Jenny took the only sword) went to the right. Strax missed his first shot, which would become the done thing throughout the game. He never hit a single time. Oh, he'd suppress them, he just never did any damage. Jenny and Vashtra wound up facing down two Daleks on their side, but used Distracting Gabble to confuse one of them into not shooting and Vahstra exterminated the other with her energy pistol and some battle cards played to boost it. Jenny then walked up and just complete destroyed the distracted Dalek. Both of the girls have a cool Hunter ability, which means they can move their full allowance to engage instead of just 2". Very useful.

So Clara thought better of hanging out with Strax and headed to the Doctor. Strax wound up getting pinned down and shocked, getting hit like three times by Daleks using their full strength attack (which they do if they don't have to move to shoot you). Everyone sort of piled behind a big piece of cover in the middle of the board by turn 3, halfway there and with only 3 turns to go. Daleks continued to close in, and the Doctor would have been exterminated (instant loss) but I had the Regenerate! adventure card which allows you to ignore a damage roll. Whew. Jenny and Vashtra continued to carve up Daleks left and right, the Doctor shocked a couple with the Sonic sunglasses and Jenny finished them off.

But then it went south. Strax couldn't get up and was killed. Vashtra was double-suppressed and then shocked. Clara was suppressed. The Doctor was Suppressed. Then The Doctor was exterminated again, so I had to use Clara's Bodyguard ability to take the hit, which she exchanged for a wound (if you run out of wounds, you lose the ability to do this and you are dead). Fortunately I had saved an adventure card that lets you remove ALL suppression markers. With that and the card Allon-sy (of course), we were able to move Vashtra and Jenny onto the Tardis on turn 5 and the Doctor and a presumably limping Clara on to it on turn 6.

The scenario is pretty basic, but I can see a lot of ways to make it more interesting and narrative. They just aren't in the rulebook. I think the next time I run it I may add an intermediary objective to make it more interesting...finding the key to the TARDIS or something first.
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 08 Sep 2017 10:46 #253917

Can you straight up kill Vastra, Jenny, and Strax for me? At least once? And send pix?
  • Legomancer
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1853
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 08 Sep 2017 10:58 #253920

As soon as I get Jo Grant, Sarah Jane, Ace and Rose Tyler they will have a "Companion's Meeting" and I will photograph the aftermath.
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 08 Sep 2017 11:01 #253921

Got in a few more plays this week of games I'll be reviewing soon.

Wartime continues to bring the fun. Introduced a new buddy and he really enjoyed it. We ignored the campaign stuff and jumped to a scenario I hadn't tried yet. It was an interesting setup where my good guys surrounded his goblin army who were attempting to summon an abomination with a bunch of Shamans. I had to destroy these summoning pillars and I fell just short. Think I was a little too worried about completing the objective and should have been eliminating some of his units when I had the opportunity. Great game.

An even better game is Vengeance. I've gotten in three plays of this now and it's just fantastic. It nails the theme (revenge film) and is just unique enough in format and execution that it really cements itself as a standout title this year. This is easily in my top 10 of the year and probably pretty high. Enjoy the pace and strategic nuances combined with high speed adrenaline fight scenes. Just fantastic.

And yet a third game that I'm really enjoying - Folklore: The Affliction. I replayed the first story with my group in order to test the replayability aspect of a scripted module and to kick off our campaign proper. My Witch Hunter kicked some ass and we did pretty decent overall, although paying the physician to heal and resurrect some of our group ate up much of our money. We did manage to defeat the final encounter though, which is something I failed to do in my solo play.

The one thing I don't like about this game is that it can be extremely punishing randomly. We drew a road event that had a group of thieves steal our stuff in the middle of the night. We each lost a random piece of equipment and if you lose your starting weapon you're basically screwed and we wouldn't have a chance as brand new characters. This caused us to have to ignore the event which never feels good when you have to cheat to not derail the game.

I suppose that's some of the price you have to pay if you want truly dramatic, volatile consequences and you're utilizing a GMless system. You're stuck tailoring the experience for yourself instead of relying on the GM directing the pace and variables.

Otherwise though the play was excellent and my group loved it.

I've also played a ton of This War of Mine at this point (75% solo) and am shelving that for awhile while I focus on other stuff. I think my review may be going up at Ars Technica tomorrow. I felt pretty inspired when I wrote it and am hoping the bits with personality are not edited out like they were in my Expanse piece. Damn editors.
  • charlest
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1614
Last Edit: 08 Sep 2017 11:03 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Unicron

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 08 Sep 2017 12:52 #253930

charlest wrote:
An even better game is Vengeance. I've gotten in three plays of this now and it's just fantastic. It nails the theme (revenge film) and is just unique enough in format and execution that it really cements itself as a standout title this year. This is easily in my top 10 of the year and probably pretty high. Enjoy the pace and strategic nuances combined with high speed adrenaline fight scenes. Just fantastic.

Any word on when this is coming out? I found out a bit late, but I haven't seen it pop over to retail yet. I'm excited for Wartime and Vengeance. I'll be keeping an eye out for both. Thanks!
  • Unicron
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 121

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 08 Sep 2017 12:54 #253931

I think it ships to Kickstarter backers end of September/beginning of October, and then retail in early November. Not 100% but I know that's close.

Wartime I think is closer, I heard end of September.
  • charlest
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1614
Last Edit: 08 Sep 2017 12:55 by charlest.
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.408 seconds