October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
14 Dec 2015 11:51 - 14 Dec 2015 11:56 #217272 by engineer Al

san il defanso wrote: Last night we played a bunch of stuff, but the one I want to talk about is Mousquetaires du Roy.

One of my favorite games. I love the sword fighting/dice mechanic. I can almost hear the clang of metal on metal. Also, Shellie makes a damn fine "Milady".
Last edit: 14 Dec 2015 11:56 by engineer Al.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aaxiom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2015 11:59 #217273 by Black Barney
I bet I make a better Bretwalda

More
14 Dec 2015 19:09 - 14 Dec 2015 19:13 #217322 by Gary Sax
I brought Gears of War on vacation with me, I'm really hoping to break it out and solo it. Best dudes in a corridor game I've ever played by some distance. I think a lot of the people who think they want to play Descent really want to play Gears and don't know it. All it's missing is some sort of campaign system like Descent's ilk.

Can you imagine how awesome Imperial Assault would have been if it was based on Gears of War's engine rather than the Descent 2.0 engine? Fuuuck.
Last edit: 14 Dec 2015 19:13 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy, aaxiom, stoic

More
15 Dec 2015 08:51 #217338 by charlest
Had a huge game day last Saturday to celebrate my birthday. It was exceptional.

Lots of Loopin' Chewie, which continues to be a blast.

Played a couple of games of the two player Bottom of the 9th, which is a quick playing game where the home team is up to bat in the bottom of the 9th inning and just needs 1 run to win the game. If the fielding team gets three outs they automatically win (assumed to win next inning because they're huge favorites).

It's pretty interesting with some bluffing and thematic mechanics that boast a good deal of drama. Liked it a lot.

Also got back to Mottainai, which is always sublime.

Got in a 3 player game of Blood Rage with the Mystics expansion. These aren't necessary but I'll be leaving them in every time, pretty cool. This game was all experienced players and it only took us 60 minutes. Still think it's best at 3.

A 3 player game of Clockwork Wars with the Sentience Expansion. This game's dying on the vine for no good reason. Tense as hell.

We then moved on to a 5 player game of Cthulhu Wars with new factions and on the Dreamlands map. I played Sleeper which was exceedingly fun but felt very difficult. I excelled at delaying and taking actions later than everyone else (lethargy) but my monsters were exceptionally weak until I got to my highest rank.

Windwalker was pretty cool and rampaged all over.

I think Opener was the most interesting though as their units explode and upgrade into larger ones after combat. Oh, and they can spawn monsters at ANYONE's gate. Damn that's annoying.

The Dreamlands map was interesting with neutral monsters threatening you, but I think I preferred the base game map overall. My main problem is that this map is in two sections and not directly connected. To move between the maps certain spaces are connected and letters on the space denote this. So one space has a C on the bottom map which counts as connected to the space with a C on the top map.
These spaces aren't necessarily on the edge of the map so it's another layer of thought and analysis and easy to overlook. It felt more annoying than interesting, especially when monsters started covering up the letters. Game was a blast though.

We closed it out with a 5 player game of Dark Moon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, aaxiom, Gregarius

More
15 Dec 2015 10:35 #217346 by Vistula Lurker
Played two adventures of Legend of Drizzt with my son. First was the one with Shimmergloom. Is Drizzt really that powerful? Twin strike hit two times, then the second attack as written on the character card for two additional damage and it ammounted to 8 dmg. It was finished in no time.

At the end of of the next one we drew Artemis, a troll and two hypnotic spirits. I went down with no more healing surges then my little hero with 1 hp left managed to land two last blows with Drittz and the victory was ours.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aaxiom

More
15 Dec 2015 10:42 #217347 by Columbob

san il defanso wrote: Last night we played a bunch of stuff, but the one I want to talk about is Mousquetaires du Roy.

I played that for the first time earlier this year, and it was brutal going for the Musketeers. As Milady de Winter, I felt I didn't really earn my victory as I just crushed them easily without needing a clear plan. It was a first game for all so we didn't have a clear idea of what worked or not, what to concentrate on and so on, but fights are hard on the Musketeers and I feel the weight of decisions and good dice rolling rests almost completely on their shoulders, with Milady coasting along. Next time we'll use the easier setting for sure (or even the 5th Musketeer), but nobody was in a hurry to get back to this game.

More
15 Dec 2015 12:34 #217359 by engineer Al

Columbob wrote: I played that for the first time earlier this year, and it was brutal going for the Musketeers.

I found that it takes a couple of plays for the Musketeers to get the hang of what they have to do. Give it another chance. . .

More
15 Dec 2015 17:55 - 15 Dec 2015 17:56 #217411 by Sevej

Vistula Lurker wrote: Played two adventures of Legend of Drizzt with my son. First was the one with Shimmergloom. Is Drizzt really that powerful? Twin strike hit two times, then the second attack as written on the character card for two additional damage and it ammounted to 8 dmg. It was finished in no time.

At the end of of the next one we drew Artemis, a troll and two hypnotic spirits. I went down with no more healing surges then my little hero with 1 hp left managed to land two last blows with Drittz and the victory was ours.

Drizzt was resourceful as fuck, but he wasn't that strong at that moment. That encounter with Shimmergloom happened in his second "quest" after he had left Menzoberranzan (although he did encounter a balrog and a dragon in his first :p). It practically destroyed his party.
Last edit: 15 Dec 2015 17:56 by Sevej.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
15 Dec 2015 18:16 #217412 by Space Ghost
Played the 1st three scenarios in Ghostbusters. The game itself is similar to Zombicide, although I like it better. The first scenarios ease the players into the game so it isn't too challenging for gamers. I think anyone here will not like the base game at all -- much too simple. The interesting parts come in the Kickstarter with the extra Ghostbusters (which create additional interactions between abilities) and the more unique bosses (many of which are from the cartoon), which have more unique scenarios.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, SebastianBludd, VonTush

More
15 Dec 2015 23:39 #217435 by VonTush
Mine, after a 13 day transit, should arrive tomorrow. Very much looking forward to it.

More
16 Dec 2015 08:44 #217447 by charlest
I'm 3 scenarios completed as well. Very simple. Love the artwork and the mechanics themselves aren't horrible. It just needs another layer to keep it interesting. Also, only having one of each ghost class in the retail addition sucks big time. Getting a little old trapping Galloping Ghouls.

Having to trap Ghosts and deposit them in the Ecto-1 is the most interesting element. I also like how the spirit world works and how you lose if it's empty and you need to spawn.

Not a good game but not a bad one so far. About 5.5-6. Maybe a half a point bump if the film is on in the background.

More
16 Dec 2015 08:46 #217448 by Legomancer
Reposted from Egg's Pandemic Legacy review:

I like Pandemic Classic, even though I don't play it very often. Legacy was something I was eager to try, as I hadn't played a legacy game before. Our first two games of PL we lost, and I wasn't sure if this was an improvement on the design, not because we lost but because (a) we lost in the familiar Pandemic way - poorly timed Epidemics that we couldn't get to in time. I worried that PL was assuming we were better at Pandemic than we actually were, and we were just going to continue to suffer.

Last night, though, we played two more games and won both. And the reason why was due to the things that later came out, which gave us not just a leg up, but more options to utilize. We went from having four fairly obvious roles to play to having to really agonize over that choice. The choices opened up and became a lot more interesting and less obvious.

I haven't really played with any classic Pandemic expansions, so maybe the stuff we're seeing is still old hat to Pandemic fans, but it's made for an exciting narrative to us in PL.

I like narrative in games. I'd say it's one of my top three goals in playing a game. And I like it to be player-driven, not "here's a card with some text on it, now we're 'dripping with theme'." I think Dead of Winter is a load of crap, and I have never ever understood the appeal of Tales of the Arabian Nights. PL is guilty of a lot of that; the criticism that the narrative is driven by in-game devices instead of the players is valid. If you don't like Classic Pandemic on top of that, then no, there really isn't anything for you here, and that's fine.

However, if you're already friendly towards regular Pandemic, then there is still something here. The game controls how these mechanisms are doled out, but the decisions involved in using or not using them, and the crafting of the board and roles to fit a group-decided strategy are still there for players.

PL will certainly be on my Top Ten list for the year. There's a lot there for me personally to be excited about. Will it be #1? Probably not, as I don't see it unseating the current most likely contender for that spot, Caylus (kidding.) But just as I think there's a lot of hyperbole surrounding its rocket rise, there's also a lot of it on the other side (apparently over on BGG there's been a campaign of 1s to overcome the 10s because you can only insta-10 a game if it's another goddamn Uwe Rosenberg farm game).

More
16 Dec 2015 09:29 #217453 by san il defanso
Last night we did two more scenarios of Imperial Assault. After four games I have yet to win one as the Imperial player. I'm sure most of this is due to me not being a very good tactician, but it also feels like at least a little of it is because the heroes have so much HP in the three-player game. That said, the two story missions have both been very close games, though the side missions have been a little stranger. In particular we player "Sympathy for the Rebellion" last night, which was the first one I would say was actually kind of lousy. Still I really enjoy the game. I know that a lot of people don't like how stripped down the Descent system is in this version, but it's right about what I want to deal with in a game like this. As tactical games like this have exploded in the last few years, Imperial Assault still manages to stand out to me. I'm really glad I nabbed a copy.

We also ended with a tag-team match of WWE Superstar Showdown, and I really enjoy this game. We only had three players, so I was on a side all on my own. I had John Cena and Danial Bryan, and John Cena took a beating in the first few rounds. He got blasted so hard that he only barely was able to tag out let Daniel Bryan in the ring. Bryan did a little better, coming close to a few pins, but he was eventually pinned as well. The downside was that there was some considerable waiting around as the other player (Roman Reigns, partnering with Big Show) shuffled around the ring waiting to get involved while his partner put the hurt on me. But I think there might be some good strategy of getting in a solid hit, then tagging out before you can take one yourself. If you are on the fence about this game because you don't like the wrestlers, I'd encourage you to give it a look. First of all, classic wrestlers are on the way, but even then it's a really fun game that seems to "get" wrestling.

More
16 Dec 2015 10:03 #217457 by hotseatgames
You've hit on why I think WWE is best with 2 players; nothing says the people not currently playing will EVER play. Your ability to get a turn is at the mercy of your teammate.

More
16 Dec 2015 10:15 #217459 by Columbob
-Doctor Hugo Garcia reporting for debriefing, sir!

-Remind me what was the mission this time?

-Together with Professor Russel Pelham, we were to strike directly into the heart of a large alien spaceship near Jupiter's moon Ganymede. Said spaceship was reportedly host to spawning vats for the monstrous aliens identified as "Sentinels".

-Sounds scary.

-Our training is meant to prepare us for the worst, sir.

-So how did it go?

-Intel showed the spawning vats to be near the bow of the enemy ship, so in order to give the aliens a fighting chance, we decided to land at the stern. The plan was to make a beeline for the vats and ignore the port and starboard sides and what horrors or wonders they might have contained. It mostly worked like a charm. Despite the spawning vats, we did not meet a single sentinel on board that ship, but a large force of saucermen were converging from behind us. Still, Professor Pelham's foresight in bringing a vial of the common cold was instrumental in infecting the aliens, thus clearing the way to the vats so that I could destroy them.

-Anything else to report?

-We rescued a little girl that the enemy had enthralled. This "Brain-in-a-jar" we captured might also be of interest to you.

-Excellent work Rocketeer. How did you get out?

-That's a story for another time, sir.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., engineer Al, Feelitmon

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.207 seconds