Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 08 Sep 2017 13:52 #253934

charlest wrote:
And yet a third game that I'm really enjoying - Folklore: The Affliction.

This is like a Haiku for game titles. We should run a contest to see if someone can come up with a more absurd title in the same structure. Foot Odor: The Reckoning. Uvula: The Undoing. Folklore: The Affliction.
  • Sagrilarus
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2602
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cranberries, Frohike, aaxiom, charlest, Gregarius, ufe20

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 08 Sep 2017 16:21 #253947

Tea Time: The Reckoning
Artisanal Cheese: Dark Vengeance
Blood Savage: Frolic of Whimsy

Damn! I totally missed that you already used "The Reckoning."
  • Gregarius
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 525
Last Edit: 08 Sep 2017 16:21 by Gregarius.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 08 Sep 2017 17:20 #253952

So yeah, I got my Star Wars Destiny package today.

They did, in fact, send me one box of Awakenings and one box of Spirit of Rebellion.

72 $3 boosters for $89. $1.23 a pack.

I guess I drew the Chance Card "Bank Error in Your Favor"!

EDIT- well, I'm opening packs and out of the first 10 I pulled Jabba, Han and Vader. If I sell those I'll have paid for most of the two boxes.
EDIT 2- OK, there's Luke...is this a "hot" box or something?
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
  • Thank you received: 6065
Last Edit: 08 Sep 2017 18:35 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 08 Sep 2017 19:02 #253962

Michael Barnes wrote:
So yeah, I got my Star Wars Destiny package today.

They did, in fact, send me one box of Awakenings and one box of Spirit of Rebellion.

72 $3 boosters for $89. $1.23 a pack.

I guess I drew the Chance Card "Bank Error in Your Favor"!

EDIT- well, I'm opening packs and out of the first 10 I pulled Jabba, Han and Vader. If I sell those I'll have paid for most of the two boxes.
EDIT 2- OK, there's Luke...is this a "hot" box or something?

Cough Counterfeit! Cough
  • Sagrilarus
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
Last Edit: 08 Sep 2017 19:03 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cranberries, Msample, Black Barney, stormseeker75

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 09 Sep 2017 18:56 #253995

Somehow in the Spirit of Rebellion box I got ZERO duplicate rares/dice. Unbelievable! I had three dupes in Awakenings- Dooku, Bala-tik, and an upgrade one. Got most of the major characters and about half of the "top dollar" ($25-$40) cards/dice. Didn't get a Chirrut, which irked me so I bouht a $1.50 single. Didn't get Chewbacca, but he's expensive.

Played a few games last night/today. It's SO good. It's like a light CCG crossed with a King of Tokyo style dice game. It is much more of what I want from a Star Wars game than Rebellion or Imperial Assault. Light, direct, accessible, and fun. But it has depth, the last couple of turns tend to turn into interesting tactical puzzles, and most games if you solve at least some of those puzzles turn out to be pretty close- and exciting in the end.

Lookin at building decks...I think I am just going to keep them really thematic, so like Baze/Chirrut, Dooku/Grevious, Palpatine/Vader, Luke/Han...no cross trilogy/cross faction nonsense.

Love this game. Yeah, it's a CCG and it's expensive. But it's better to get into this than the latest Kickstarter fiasco.
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, aaxiom

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 09 Sep 2017 19:23 #253997

Self-justifications are the best justifications.
  • hotseatgames
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1584
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Colorcrayons, cdennett

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 09 Sep 2017 19:39 #253999

This entire hobby is built on self justification.
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Colorcrayons, cdennett, scrumpyjack

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 09 Sep 2017 19:59 #254000

Life is built on self justification.
  • Jexik
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 421
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike, scrumpyjack

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 09 Sep 2017 21:18 #254003

Mama always said self justification will make you go blind.

• Colorcrayons
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 816
Last Edit: 09 Sep 2017 21:23 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, hotseatgames, Frohike

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 09 Sep 2017 22:54 #254005

Went over to The Nemisis' house today for some two player action.

Twilight Struggle was the order of the day. Just a marvel of a superb game. Have you never played it? Then you should do yourself a favor and rectify that lack. It is one of the best games of the last 15 to 20 years,

I took the US and was trounced by turn six. Putting all my efforts into a couple of regions and gambling they would score first. They did not and freedom died. Alas.

Feeling that we had time and that I could do better given a second chance, we switched sides and played again. It was much more competitive going all the way to the second to last turn. It was then that I mismanaged my card play with the result that my opponent was able to trigger nuclear war while I was the active player and thus he was given the victory. Long may he reign over his planet of ash!

Historically I normally spend too much effort on the space race and I consciously tried to rectify that today by avoiding mostly. That hurt me in both games. There really no aspect of the game you can totally check out of without crippling yourself.

In any case it was a super day of gaming.

IMG_1406.jpg
  • repoman
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1996
All Hammers All the Time
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney, siberianhusky, Frohike, scrumpyjack, JEM

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 09 Sep 2017 23:56 #254006

It is an amazing game to play with the same player over and over, too.
  • Gary Sax
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2482
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 10 Sep 2017 00:06 #254007

I've got a couple dudes I play the game with on the PC implementation. I like the asynch play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 10 Sep 2017 11:21 #254010

Terraforming Mars yet again, at the local game club. I had an afternoon to kill, and I ended up teaching the game to one of the other members. I played like shit, but pulled out the win anyway. I'll blame the card draws.

TM is insanely popular at the game club. By the time I left, there were four games of it going, and one guy wanting to start another.
  • RobertB
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 402
The following user(s) said Thank You: aaxiom, JEM

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 10 Sep 2017 14:32 #254013

RobertB wrote:
Terraforming Mars yet again, at the local game club. I had an afternoon to kill, and I ended up teaching the game to one of the other members. I played like shit, but pulled out the win anyway. I'll blame the card draws.

TM is insanely popular at the game club. By the time I left, there were four games of it going, and one guy wanting to start another.

This may be the most conversation-unifying board game since Agricola. In the '00s you would have a game command attention for a month or two. More recently there's a couple of dozen coming out at the same time and no one of them has the clout to command everyone's attention.
  • Sagrilarus
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Gary Sax, RobertB, Legomancer, Msample, scrumpyjack

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 10 Sep 2017 14:47 #254015

Last night my friend brought over a card game he bought at Gen Con. It's called Drago Borne (nope, it's not Dragon Borne). It's basically Magic: The Gathering but you are attacking the opponent's 3 forts. The card art is great, and my only real complaint is that the text on the cards is minuscule in the extreme. We played this while waiting for our third player, and I won. Not bad, but nothing special. I'm sure some advanced strategies come out upon repeated plays.

The main event was the table premier of Massive Darkness. We did the first quest, and I bungled a really fundamental rule about mob combat. The result of this error was a severe lengthening of game time... it took us 4 hours to beat the quest. Now.... the thing is, in some ways, my error made the game harder, and in others, it made it easier. But either way, we were never really in danger of losing. Only one hero died during the whole session, and the other two barely got scratched. The other thing I'll point out is that even though it was easy, and way too long, it was fun the entire time.

I'm looking forward to another session, in which I get the rules right. That will be the real judge of whether or not the game is too easy, and will tell me what kind of time commitment I can expect.

Things that are great:
- the leveling process for your hero is fun, cool, and intuitive.
- the sheer variety of monsters that will come out in a given play session is fantastic, particularly the roaming monsters.
- having enemies equip treasure cards that can sometimes dramatically increase their strength is a great idea and adds challenge

Things that might not be so great:
- It seems like there is a danger of the game being too easy, but ti's too early to say.
  • hotseatgames
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1584
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.342 seconds