Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 10 Sep 2017 16:48 #254016

Sag, that's a really good point and it is interesting too that it's been out for a while...it's hardy a "new release" at this point.

The appeal is obvious- it has a cool concept that is really underserved by _accessible_ designs and it had a solid, immediately satisfying economic model. And it does that Agricola/Don Vaccarino thing where you have TONS of cards but only a handful of which you will see in a game. The replay value is through the roof because that variety creates unlimited tactical and strategic possibilities.

But I sold my copy. As good as the game is, and it is indeed an exceptional design, I feel like it lacks excitement. I've really enjoyed playing it both solo and multiplayer (although I think 5 players is one too many) and I'd happily play it again. But I don't know that I'd be terribly inclined to actively seek out to play it more than the 10-12 times I've enjoyed it.

For me, it's like a really well made, better than average movie that you don't necessarily want to own on DVD.

I'll probably check it out again when the big expansion hits. And I'll definitely pick it up for IOS.

Anyway, it is ultimately about exactly how I felt about Agricola, and I think a lot of the appeal and reason it's unified the conversation is the same.
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
  • Thank you received: 6107
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, cranberries

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 10 Sep 2017 18:55 #254017

So is it even possible to develop an exciting version of Agricola or Terraforming, or is that not possible within this limited genre?
  • cranberries
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1168

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 10 Sep 2017 19:22 #254020

cranberries wrote:
So is it even possible to develop an exciting version of Agricola or Terraforming, or is that not possible within this limited genre?

I've not played Terraforming Mars yet, but Argent certainly does this for Agricola.
Subscribe to my game blog, The Rumpus Room.
sanildefanso.wordpress.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, cranberries, Frohike

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 11 Sep 2017 16:58 #254071

san il defanso wrote:
cranberries wrote:

I've not played Terraforming Mars yet, but Argent certainly does this for Agricola.

It depends on how you define "interesting". I thought the cards were pretty damn cool with the support text. I'd compare it to Twilight Struggle in that aspect (and in some others) where a reasonable knowledge of the subject matter gives the game additional flavor.

But seriously, how many games do you hear people talking about playing 40 times these days? Most people haven't played any game 40 times in their entire lives. This game is a year old. People are playing it like Twilight Struggle or Race for the Galaxy, looking at all the ins and outs of it and trying to get a full understanding of the bigger picture. Granted, that's gamer interest not thematic interest, but it's still a testament to the kind of attention this game is still drawing, instead of playing it twice then setting it aside because a Kickstarter you paid for in 2014 just showed up on your door.
  • Sagrilarus
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2652
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, cranberries, Msample, san il defanso, Frohike, Erik Twice, aaxiom, JEM, Unicron

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 11 Sep 2017 17:57 #254076

Played another game of Star Wars Rebellion with the expansion yesterday. My opponent wanted to keep playing the Rebels . Again I won as the Empire , as I landed on Tattooine where his base was and he only had a handful of dudes against my 2 AT-ATs , an AT-ST and a Death Star orbiting overhead.

There are some subtle but important differences becoming apparent:

- while the Death Star Plans are guaranteed to be in the second and third Objective decks, all other Objectives are random ( I, II, III ) . So for instance I nuked Utapu with the Death Star, partially because I knew there was a chance the Rebel objective giving them clicks for dead planets might not be in the deck.

- the mission that sucks Probe Cards out of the Empire hand is not in the new objective deck. I think one Action card does this, but of course its not guaranteed to be in there. So once you have a Probe card, esp for a remote planet, you can leave it unoccupied and move on if you need to.

- I started keying on building more new unit types, as the game is more rewarding of a diverse force pool due to Tactics cards giving better benefits if a unit type is present. For instance, the Death Star card deals out 5 hits to one capital ship. Or an Interceptor fighter can kill one triangle ground unit .That said, I haven't built an Interdictor yet, as it requires Research cards. The downside of the new units is they roll green dice, which hit less often. The flip side is that those hits are much harder to block.

- as the Attacker, you will possibly take more losses. This is because the new combat system uses dice to block , vs cards you can hold over from round to round. So your one hit guys are gonna die more often. There are new tactic cards which block hits.

- it seems the new Rebel objectives are more combat oriented. I'll know more when I play as the Rebel. My opponent was having a hard time grokking how to make some of the new objectives work, but he isn't as familiar with the game.

- the new structures on each side are pretty powerful. I think a Rebel Base with a Shield Generator and Turret along with a decent garrison is gonna be a tougher nut to crack than in the base game.
  • Msample
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 659
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, san il defanso, Frohike, scrumpyjack, JEM

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 11 Sep 2017 19:49 #254081

I picked up 7 Wonders Duel and the Pantheons expansion the other day. This will be a headscratcher for those who know my feelings on the original 7 Wonders, but I did a fair bit of research and Duel seemed like a game I'd like a lot more. After two games (one solo and one with my wife) my intuition was definitely accurate.

There's still some recognizable 7 Wonders DNA there. It has three ages, the cards do similar stuff, and it's got a similar overall flow. But it's a much more interesting design for two big reasons. First of all, both the science and the military cards are executed in a more thematic fashion. The military advances a track that represents how close you are to the opponent's capital, and along the way you force your opponent to lose money. It's not exactly dripping with theme, but it makes the game a much more tense affair, just because you need to keep an eye on it. The science is also more interesting. Instead of the arcane scoring of the original, the cards give you "advances" if you get double icons, or an auto-win if you get six of the seven types. Again, it feels just a touch more thematic, and gives the game a couple of angles besides just getting points.

The new "draft" is also a lot more interesting to me. I feel like the original game was basically a game about picking cards, without ever giving a tangible payoff to the draft itself, which I found really unsatisfying. The new method of laying the cards out on the table is more interesting to me, because it allows you to have a clearer sense of what the consequences of your selection might be. It also makes the game just a touch easier to learn, because there's no longer any secret information between the players that might be hard to explain.

It's still a very development-heavy version of civ-building, which is fine. It's a little like Catan in that way. But it's a lot closer to what I originally wanted from 7 Wonders, and I look forward to digging into it more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Frohike, scrumpyjack, Gregarius, JEM

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 11 Sep 2017 20:37 #254084

7W Duel is excellent. We've ripped of 3-5 games in a couple hours.

I am less sold on Pantheon.
  • Msample
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 659

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 11 Sep 2017 20:40 #254085

Msample wrote:
7W Duel is excellent. We've ripped of 3-5 games in a couple hours.

I am less sold on Pantheon.

That was the more impulsive purchase of the two. Haven't had a chance to play it yet, but it does make the game look more like a Bruno Cathala game. (Think the Djinns in Five Tribes.) It does look like it might provide a way for Science and Military to be viable strategies, rather than considerations that can sometimes line up perfectly.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 12 Sep 2017 11:53 #254106

I got a shot at Mechs and Minions last night. Very pretty, and the gameplay is unique. I just did the demo routine, has anyone played the first few scenarios? I'd be curious to see what I'm in store for.
  • Sagrilarus
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2652
Last Edit: 12 Sep 2017 11:53 by Sagrilarus.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 12 Sep 2017 12:16 #254114

Mechs and Minions is a weird beast to me. On the one hand, it's clear you get a LOT of stuff for your money. On the other hand, I still find it overpriced. It's like $75 right? And that's a bargain, except that what I've played of it was fun, but not $75 worth of fun. To make an awkward comparison, it's like ordering a burger with a 40 gallon drum of fries for $30. That's a bargain for that many fries, but I don't want that many fries, even if they're good. I don't know what I'd consider a good price for little plastic statues that don't do anything except stand on a square for a moment before being removed from that square.

I liked the gameplay, and what's done with both the programming and the damage. But again, it's not something I'd want to carry around a huge box of plastic to play, even if the huge box was a great value.
  • Legomancer
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1898
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice, Varys

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 12 Sep 2017 12:16 #254115

I've played the first couple and it's fun but nothing extraordinary. I hear it does get a little better but I've had a hard time getting it to the table.
  • charlest
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1716

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 12 Sep 2017 13:19 #254122

www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/9/12/track-your-target/

Wait, I will be able to get Cad Bane in SW Destiny?
  • Gary Sax
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2500

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 12 Sep 2017 15:36 #254132

IWhat Sag said bothers me often...I've played perhaps 30 games more than 40 times, and ten games, that I can think of right off of the top of my head, I've played at least 100.

People buying games to play once or twice doesn't compute for me. Makes no sense.

To wit, I played Octo Dice for maybe the 50th time this weekend. I'm currently playing Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance 2 for the maybe 12th time (with my wife) on my original Xbox in the the newly-created Garage Game Station (TM)
image-19.jpg

No wonder I've been married for 21 years. I just don't crave that much variety.
  • SuperflyTNT
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3427
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4
Last Edit: 12 Sep 2017 15:37 by SuperflyTNT.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames, Colorcrayons

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 12 Sep 2017 15:47 #254135

I agree, Pete.

There has to be a a somewhat significant demographic that plays games to death.
It wasn't until BGG that I witnessed people enjoying the churn.
  • Colorcrayons
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 816

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 12 Sep 2017 16:11 #254137

Colorcrayons wrote:
I agree, Pete.

There has to be a a somewhat significant demographic that plays games to death.
It wasn't until BGG that I witnessed people enjoying the churn.

Stealing this for a thread idea.
  • Shellhead
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2641
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.356 seconds