Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 12 Sep 2017 17:05 #254141

Gary Sax wrote:
www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/9/12/track-your-target/

Wait, I will be able to get Cad Bane in SW Destiny?

Man, this shit is ALL IN. There's a ton of Clone Wars AND Rebels stuff in the game.

I did get a card in my boxes that had Cad Bane on it, but it wasn't Cad Bane. I was like "aw man".

Mechs vs. Minions is GREAT. It gets better and better as it goes on. We've played through almost everything and my kids still love it.

They have been into Harry Potter in earnest lately...so I got them into playing Hogwart's Battle. Suprisingly, they picked right up on the deckbuilding concepts.
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
  • Thank you received: 6065
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cranberries

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 12 Sep 2017 18:19 #254150

Fuck man. Gotta stay away from that crack but fuck they have done a good job on that thing.
  • Gary Sax
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2482

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 13 Sep 2017 09:06 #254171

Some weird gaming the past few days.

Pit Crew was a great deal of fun. It slots in nicely with Geoff's other real-time games producing a hectic puzzle you're racing to solve centered around hand management and cooperation. Surprised at how well it handled an odd number of players. I need to try this with three teams too as I think that will be a riot.

I'm a big fan of the Escape Room table top craze and finally was able to try EXIT - The Abandoned Cabin. It was enjoyable, but I prefer Escape Room: the game (the one with the big plastic decoder box thing) and even Unlock! at this point. Exit had some really clever puzzles but its physical quality felt the most confining and weak. It's difficult to get everyone involved when you're working through the booklet and the decoder tool/solution framework just isn't as cool as the other games.

Red Scare is a social deduction game with an interesting gimmick - half the players wearing decoder glasses. There are two types of cards which you are trying to decode, some able to be decoded by those without the special glasses and some only able to be decoded by those wearing them. You can then judge and deport or exonerate cards, but only the ones you can't identify. So you need to trust others at the table and hope they are on your team.

The problem is that there's no incentive to lie and it seems as though everyone should tell the truth. Since you can possibly verify information by having another player look at them you can suss this out pretty easily. Everyone telling the truth is boring and makes the outcome of the game a bit random, plus it breaks one of the end game mechanisms where you can accuse and interrupt the game.

If players lie and get into it I believe it will produce some interesting play but it's difficult to get there as the game doesn't necessarily propel you into that direction. There's a real-time variant in the back and we're going to try that next time.

The gimmick is cool though and does work.

Then we broke out Guards of Atlantis with six. I just don't know about this game. I really dig the way it abstracts minions and captures certain MOBA elements. I dig the asymmetry. I dig the tough decisions about card play and the way you level up is very smooth. The game is just streamlined as hell and runs along nicely. BUT, I have some problems with the following:

-When you die you miss 2-5 turns (actions). This sucks. You can respawn and then run back up into the battle and die again. If you die early, you can fall behind in level and have no money and it's just not great.

-It's extremely tight and unforgiving. If you push and leave yourself vulnerable at all you die (this is kind of MOBA-ish).

-You don't feel very powerful, at least not early on. The game is very deliberate in that you normally can't move and attack, so you need to setup moves in advance and they're telegraphed. I wish it was more free and chaotic.

-It has the potential to go on indefinitely. That's a big flaw, even if it's not likely.

Overall, it seems like it fixes some of the things I dislike about Rum and Bones while introducing others. I really wish getting killed wasn't as punishing as that's my biggest complaint.
  • charlest
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1688
The following user(s) said Thank You: engelstein, scrumpyjack, Scott_F, Unicron

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 13 Sep 2017 10:02 #254177

Yes, dying in Guards of Atlantis is bad... but it gets better once everyone at the table understands that, and does whatever it takes to NOT die.

As for the going on forever bit.... absolutely play with the "variant" that has you earn a token when you push a lane. 3 tokens, or the normal victory condition end the game.
  • hotseatgames
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1584
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 13 Sep 2017 10:04 #254178

I still say that between Frag! Gold and, really, Epic Duels, there is no reason to have any other MOBA board game.
  • SuperflyTNT
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3379
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 13 Sep 2017 11:04 #254181

cranberries wrote:
So is it even possible to develop an exciting version of Agricola or Terraforming, or is that not possible within this limited genre?
I think the game is pretty exciting, but I do agree that there are hard limitations in the genre. That is, Terraforming Mars is the best game of snowball economics I've played, but it's still a game of snowball economics and that carries some limitations.

In fact, one of the reasons I think it's better than other games in its "genre" is that it doesn't actually create much of a snowball: An early asteroid is just a VP discount, cards are only somewhat cheaper than standard projects and engine-building is not actually more efficient than a bunch of good plays.

I also wonder how improtant the limitation is in practice. That is, Chicago Express is in a better category of game but it's not a better game. And games like Steam, which are both better and in a better category do not have as much raw fun (Eg. Cards), they are a different kind of affair.
  • Erik Twice
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 813

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 13 Sep 2017 11:35 #254182

SuperflyTNT wrote:
I still say that between Frag! Gold and, really, Epic Duels, there is no reason to have any other MOBA board game.

I haven't played Frag! but the dynamics of a MOBA board game are nothing like Epic Duels.
  • charlest
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 13 Sep 2017 11:44 #254183

Charlie, I also recommend printing out the cards for Trinkets, the lovable kobold. You'll have to proxy him and his deployable turret. I completely incensed my opponents with his ability to not only foil their plans with his turret, but to level up simply by digging for gold in a safe space.
  • hotseatgames
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 13 Sep 2017 11:47 #254184

hotseatgames wrote:
Charlie, I also recommend printing out the cards for Trinkets, the lovable kobold. You'll have to proxy him and his deployable turret. I completely incensed my opponents with his ability to not only foil their plans with his turret, but to level up simply by digging for gold in a safe space.

This game may only survive one more play with my main group, in which case I'll be selling it. I may check out the PnP characters if it survives.

My first impression was that I do like the game, but the punishing nature requires severe buy-in which is very difficult.
  • charlest
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 13 Sep 2017 13:28 #254189

What the fuck is MOBA?
  • bfkiller
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 450

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 13 Sep 2017 13:49 #254190

bfkiller wrote:
What the fuck is MOBA?

Massive Online Battle Arena. A genre of computer games that sprung up from the original Defense of the Ancients (DOTA) mod for Warcraft 3, and now includes DOTA 2, League of Legends, Heroes of the Storm, Paragon, Smite, and many, many others.

There's a lot of variations, but generally, they're team based games, every player gets a hero/champion/etc. Games are usually 5v5, and you generally win by pushing "lanes" down to an opponents base, then destroying the base. Lanes are filled with AI monsters that push down and fight each other.

Board game versions of this include Rum and Bones, LOAD, and a few others. They usually give you a hero and then flood the map (lanes) with fodder (monsters.)
  • Stonecutter
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 253
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 13 Sep 2017 13:51 #254191

As much as we all cite BGG as a cult of the new demographic, there are definitely people there who play the crap out of stuff, esp the very popular stuff like say Terraforming Mars or in its heyday, BSG. Go to some of the strategy threads on games such as those and while there are certainly idiots declaring a game broken after their inaugural play, some other thread will have someone who has played the game a TON. Granted I think those are dwarfed by the COTN ( Cults of the New ) players, but they are out there. And playing a game a ton doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it - some threads you can tell an obvious group think has set in.
  • Msample
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 657
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike, Erik Twice, aaxiom, Gregarius

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 13 Sep 2017 14:13 #254193

Every time I have been subjected to it, Rum and Bones has bored me to tears.
  • hotseatgames
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 13 Sep 2017 17:02 #254201

charlest wrote:
SuperflyTNT wrote:

I haven't played Frag! but the dynamics of a MOBA board game are nothing like Epic Duels.

Please elucidate this, as I am not sure I agree.
  • SuperflyTNT
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3379
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 13 Sep 2017 17:32 #254203

We played TALISMAN (4e) with THE DRAGON UH CAVE OR WHATEVER and THE GRIM REAPER expansions with my 6yo and my 12yo hopping in and out. Man, this game is the best. We were slaying dragons, riding dragons, hopping in too early, reacting too late and just in general having a great time. My younger is preternaturally able to draw bags of gold in this game. He finished with more coins than the bank. We also play "level up at 5" house rules (normal is 7) so you can get the game going a little faster. Things were swingy--I managed to make to the Dragon King too early--should have set up a little better. I had my chances (probably 7 or 8, all told), but couldn't hang on. Some low rolls and I was bounced. The younger got himself to FIFTEEN CRAFT. Not kidding. His Strength was only about 8, so we figured if the Red (strength-based) Dragon became king we'd have a shot, but as he hacked his way there he picked up an Object that let him use Craft as Strength in battle--I mean, come on. The 12yo was chasing him down, but he'd gotten to 19 Craft by the time he finished wailing on the Dragon King to take the win.

He cackled delightedly and said we should play that way again.
  • jeb
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2097
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, aaxiom, Nodens, JEM
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.394 seconds