Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 13 Sep 2017 19:30 #254209

SuperflyTNT wrote:
charlest wrote:
SuperflyTNT wrote:
I still say that between Frag! Gold and, really, Epic Duels, there is no reason to have any other MOBA board game.

I haven't played Frag! but the dynamics of a MOBA board game are nothing like Epic Duels.

Please elucidate this, as I am not sure I agree.

What do YOU think MOBA is?

Stonecutter gave a pretty good explanation.
Massive Online Battle Arena. A genre of computer games that sprung up from the original Defense of the Ancients (DOTA) mod for Warcraft 3, and now includes DOTA 2, League of Legends, Heroes of the Storm, Paragon, Smite, and many, many others.

There's a lot of variations, but generally, they're team based games, every player gets a hero/champion/etc. Games are usually 5v5, and you generally win by pushing "lanes" down to an opponents base, then destroying the base. Lanes are filled with AI monsters that push down and fight each other.

Board game versions of this include Rum and Bones, LOAD, and a few others. They usually give you a hero and then flood the map (lanes) with fodder (monsters.)

Are you confusing multiplayer shooter with MOBA?
  • Sevej
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 672
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 13 Sep 2017 21:08 #254210

jeb wrote:
We played TALISMAN (4e) with THE DRAGON UH CAVE OR WHATEVER and THE GRIM REAPER expansions with my 6yo and my 12yo hopping in and out. Man, this game is the best. We were slaying dragons, riding dragons, hopping in too early, reacting too late and just in general having a great time. My younger is preternaturally able to draw bags of gold in this game. He finished with more coins than the bank. We also play "level up at 5" house rules (normal is 7) so you can get the game going a little faster. Things were swingy--I managed to make to the Dragon King too early--should have set up a little better. I had my chances (probably 7 or 8, all told), but couldn't hang on. Some low rolls and I was bounced. The younger got himself to FIFTEEN CRAFT. Not kidding. His Strength was only about 8, so we figured if the Red (strength-based) Dragon became king we'd have a shot, but as he hacked his way there he picked up an Object that let him use Craft as Strength in battle--I mean, come on. The 12yo was chasing him down, but he'd gotten to 19 Craft by the time he finished wailing on the Dragon King to take the win.

He cackled delightedly and said we should play that way again.

I recently played with my seven-year-old. We had a ball. It might be the best fantasy game ever just because of how accessible it is
Subscribe to my game blog, The Rumpus Room.
sanildefanso.wordpress.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Frohike, aaxiom, stoic

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 14 Sep 2017 00:17 #254224

hotseatgames wrote:
Every time I have been subjected to it, Rum and Bones has bored me to tears.

Yeah, this 100%. I so wanted to like this game and tried it way more times than it deserved. Makes some unforgivable design mistakes, not the least of which is the inappropriate length.
  • engelstein
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 440
The following user(s) said Thank You: aaxiom

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 14 Sep 2017 07:47 #254231

We played a 3 hours learning game of Ti4 last night. We had 6 experienced Ti3 players including 2 time WBC Ti3 world champion Malloc. Overall, I think FFG did a good job streamlining the excess chrome off the game. I'd say both games are great, I'd play either game anytime. The biggest benefit to Ti4 is that it will be easier to teach to newbies.
  • KingPut
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 466
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, bfkiller, jpat, Msample, Pat II, hotseatgames, Frohike, aaxiom, Scott_F and this user have 3 others thankyou

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 14 Sep 2017 08:01 #254232

Got word my local game club will be playing Fog of War, and that the designer sent an extra copy to help handle the number of kids that will be playing. Sounds like a good soul.

This is the youth group that regularly pulls 10-20 kids for bigger titles, Conquest of the Empire, Age of Mythology, even monstrous games of Memoir with a three-level command structure. Fog of War is designed to be played with 2, but the guy that runs the club does simulations for the U.S. Navy and regularly puts the students into command structures or committees and forces them to work as a unit to handle more in-depth games. AARs occur afterwards and often the group dynamics are the more interesting part of the review.
  • Sagrilarus
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2602
The following user(s) said Thank You: engelstein

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 14 Sep 2017 12:51 #254250

the guy that runs the club does simulations for the U.S. Navy and regularly puts the students into command structures or committees and forces them to work as a unit to handle more in-depth games. AARs occur afterwards and often the group dynamics are the more interesting part of the review.

This is a really interesting way to play with groups. So a cluster of kids makes collective decisions, acting as a single player? That sounds suspiciously like academic committee work, a power so dehumanizing that it can't even be used to torture prisoners at Guantanamo.
  • cranberries
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1134

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 14 Sep 2017 15:21 #254253

I view a game with 6 2-man teams in an arena with a team deathmatch setting as a MOBA.

Multiplayer Online (in this case Analog) Battle Arena. Seems legit to me. It's like Battlefront deathmatch but with 6 teams.
  • SuperflyTNT
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3379
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 14 Sep 2017 15:57 #254255

MOBA:

• Sagrilarus
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2602

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 14 Sep 2017 19:24 #254264

SuperflyTNT wrote:
I view a game with 6 2-man teams in an arena with a team deathmatch setting as a MOBA.

Multiplayer Online (in this case Analog) Battle Arena. Seems legit to me. It's like Battlefront deathmatch but with 6 teams.

Umm sure Pete, you just need to find other people agreeing with you since definitions are only useful if a group of people shares the same perspective.

Just like MtG is not a deck builder and Carcassonne is not a worker placement, not all dudes in arena combat is a MOBA.
  • Sevej
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 672
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 14 Sep 2017 19:31 #254265

Sevej wrote:
SuperflyTNT wrote:

Umm sure Pete, you just need to find other people agreeing with you since definitions are only useful if a group of people shares the same perspective.

Just like MtG is not a deck builder and Carcassonne is not a worker placement, not all dudes in arena combat is a MOBA.

The meaning of the acronym has become useless since the term has sort of evolved to describe a certain niche (if you can call it that, considering how ubiquitous it's becoming) of gaming that has more specificity than the initial acronym lets on (sort of like how the term "RPG" in video games has become its own animal).

League of Legends and DOTA are the MOBA poster children.

Some shooters like Pete's describing may be MOBA-influenced but don't quite fit the category. To me, if there are no lanes, it's not really a MOBA.
  • Frohike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 448
Last Edit: 14 Sep 2017 19:54 by Frohike.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 15 Sep 2017 08:53 #254288

Yes, MOBA's require lanes (even if it's simply one) and a base you are pushing to.
  • charlest
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1688
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 15 Sep 2017 15:27 #254312

I went to our local mall game store/clubhouse group. The Guy With the Duffel Bag of Games did not show up with Terraforming Mars, so we played the card game Herbaceous (I won. Not much strategy to this one) and then Happy Pigs. Happy Pigs is a simple economic game where you have to guess which actions the other players are going to pick, and if you pick the same one, you all suffer and can do less.

Also, it's seasonal--all your unvaccinated pigs die at the end of each season. So it's like Wallenstein, when you don't feed your peasants, but with pigs. I would play it again, and trade something I don't want for it, but probably not buy it. It would be fun to play this with real people rather than the regulars, who are 18xx-playing board game savants who have been doing this for twenty years. It was still fun. At some point, as I looked at the other players pig-filled fields and my own marginal bacon collection, it became a solo challenge to see how little I could lose by.

Riding the recumbent bicycle four miles home in the dark, in the cool, pre-storm night was rather pleasant.

happy_pigs.jpg
  • cranberries
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1134
Last Edit: 16 Sep 2017 09:25 by cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, aaxiom, JEM

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 16 Sep 2017 10:18 #254340

Two games of the L2 reprint of Breakout: Normandy recently, both games with Unicron as we tried to learn the game from the rules book. BN is an area impulse game of the D-Day invasion of WW2. It's a big step up in complexity from something like Storm Over Stalingrad which is another area impulse game that I've enjoyed playing. The big takeaway here is that the rules book is inscrutable. The L2 player aid chart uses different language than the rulebook. Any one thing you want to do is probably detailed across two entirely different sections of the rules book that may or may not reference each other to let you know there's something else you need to know. It's still highly rated/regarded with a 7.7 rating on BGG and I can see that there could be an interesting game here if you've internalized everything. But it's pretty long with not too many decisions for the time spent and so it's just not worth earning a college degree in Breakout Normandy rules deciphering. There are too many other great games that are actually learnable from the rules to make this one worth spending any more time on.

In a related note, I now have a copy of Breakout: Normandy for sale or trade!
  • ratpfink
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 143
Last Edit: 16 Sep 2017 10:38 by ratpfink.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Frohike, repoman, scrumpyjack, JEM, Unicron

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 16 Sep 2017 11:43 #254342

Sevej wrote:
SuperflyTNT wrote:

I wasn't making a statement of fact, I was simply sharing what I believed it to be. The extent of my experience with games that you're describing is Battlefield 4 (is that a MOBA?) and I didn't realize that this acronym had a specific connotation despite the phrase seeming to be pretty self-evident.

The snark here has become BGG-like at this point, not sure why.
  • SuperflyTNT
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3379
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 17 Sep 2017 02:59 #254350

Why on earth did you delete your account, Pete?
  • Frohike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 448
The following user(s) said Thank You: cranberries
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.380 seconds