Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 29 Oct 2017 17:54 #256554

I played the top secret Felli prototype with my friends who have normal social skills, and we all haggled like crazy and negotiated and it was a much more enjoyable session than when I introduced it to the eurogamers.

My friend's son brought the D&D version of Betrayal at House of the Hill. It seemed quite streamlined compared to my one play of BHH, and we actually finished in an hour. I was the traitor and became trapped in powered armor from outer space and they couldn't kill me with their rust monsters. My Dwarf had insanely high speed, so I basically vaporized a team member every turn, which was guilty fun.
  • cranberries
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1130
Last Edit: 29 Oct 2017 20:40 by cranberries.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 30 Oct 2017 09:28 #256572

After 8 hours, we're almost finished with the first curse in 7th Continent.

This weekend I organized a 6 player game of Twilight Imperium 4. Five of us reached the 10 victory point threshold in the same turn and I lost on the damn tiebreaker. The new edition is great, only took us 4.5 hours with two total newbies.
  • charlest
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1673
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Frohike, Feelitmon

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 30 Oct 2017 09:33 #256573

I've been playing a ton of Cosmic Encounter. I'm 17 games in and totally addicted. I want to play this one all the time because I always have such a laugh.

I'm also recording in statistics for fun, though they do not reflect how close games were or who was playing.
  • Erik Twice
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 795

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 30 Oct 2017 09:34 #256574

charlest wrote:
This weekend I organized a 6 player game of Twilight Imperium 4. Five of us reached the 10 victory point threshold in the same turn and I lost on the damn tiebreaker. The new edition is great, only took us 4.5 hours with two total newbies.

To someone who owns all of TI3 and has played it many times, would you recommend switching to 4th Edition? I like what I've read about the streamlining they've done, I'm just wary of dropping over $100 on it sight unseen and unplayed.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 30 Oct 2017 10:17 #256578

If you own all of TI3, I'm not sure it's worth jumping to the new edition. If you really love the game, maybe, but it's still roughly the same thing. It feels more like TI3.5 than comparable to the jumps between 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd.

The streamlining is fantastic and the iconography and player boards are exceptional. The biggest change for me is doing away with the tech tree as I abhor tech trees.
  • charlest
  • D8
The following user(s) said Thank You: Feelitmon

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 30 Oct 2017 15:00 #256607

charlest wrote:
If you own all of TI3, I'm not sure it's worth jumping to the new edition. If you really love the game, maybe, but it's still roughly the same thing. It feels more like TI3.5 than comparable to the jumps between 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd.

The streamlining is fantastic and the iconography and player boards are exceptional. The biggest change for me is doing away with the tech tree as I abhor tech trees.

Dang it, see, now you've got me extra tempted. One of the things that jumped out at me from reading the TI4 rules is the new way that agendas work. I like that you don't have to worry as much about using your planets for production throughout a round--you'll still be able to use them for voting in the agenda phase. It seems like that would help to speed up turns a bit. How does it work in practice though?
  • Feelitmon
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 140

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 30 Oct 2017 15:31 #256615

The agenda phase changes are nice and do work pretty well. Everything seemed to move along at a good pace really.
  • charlest
  • D8

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 31 Oct 2017 13:15 #256708

I've been getting back into Innovation with the new Deluxe box that has all of the expansions...I forgot how good and weird that game is, I haven't played it in several years.

Fortunately, a couple of people in my gang actually remembered it pretty well so re-teaching wasn't completely excruciating. It's funny that the rulebook actually has this like "guidelines for teaching" section at the beginning, which includes the admonition to not teach it to a group of four because it is a "recipe for people to not like the game". Ha!

It's a really fascinating design. Long ago, when I reviewed it, I wrote that its theme is about how ideas interrupt and shape the flow of history, and therefore other ideas. This is a really neat concept, and I think it's quite a bit more interesting than the usual civ-game narrative arc. But this game does away with just about everything in a civilization/4x game EXCEPT for the technologies...or does it? Playing it last night, it struck me that all of the 4x stuff is actually there, in the background. Like how you can share in a Dogma action if you have as many symbols as the acting player- there's an exchange of ideas and a sense of communication and geography right there. There is exploration, mining the decks for cards. And damn, is there extermination- get a weapon tech and you usually have some kind of NASTY take that power.

It's also really fascinating because it is a very deep, very think-y strategic game...but it has that really mean take that streak in it. Lots of theft and devastation.

But man, is it wily. It is one of those "every card is completely unique" games, which makes it tough to really play well or even at a very basic level when you are away from it for a while like we were or in the early outings. Then there's all the splaying and melding and tucking...which makes sense, but it's just not intuitive.

But you know, really, it comes down to being a card game about majorities and those majorities giving you the right to perform special actions. Once you come to grips with that, I feel like you are about halfway to getting it.

Haven't even broken shrink on any of the expansions...the rules are pretty clear that you should only use one at a time, so we'll probably work through them and see what's what. It's funny, I kind of dreaded getting it in the mail because I didn't want to fool with it but once I got into the swing of it I remembered how much I liked it. I think I actually had it in on my GOTY list that year, I don't remember.

I also have Aventuria sitting here, the Dark Eye adventure card game. It looks pretty spectacularly meh. Especially with Shadespire sitting next to it.

Should have Tomb of Annihilation next week.
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
  • Thank you received: 6053
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, cranberries, Msample, Gregarius

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 31 Oct 2017 13:17 #256709

Yeah, I have it and the first expansion. It's a neat one I've barely gotten a chance to play. It is very difficult to teach.
  • Gary Sax
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2473
Last Edit: 31 Oct 2017 13:18 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cranberries

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 31 Oct 2017 13:26 #256711

I really love Innovation, and I've been really happy I backed the Deluxe KS version. So far, I've only been playing it 2-player. It works great (and goes pretty quickly), but I feel like I'm missing out on some of the more interesting interactions.

We added the Cities expansion, and it was an instant hit. More powers, only a bare-minimum of extra rules.

I'd like to try the Echoes of the Past expansion next, but we're not in that much of a hurry.
  • Gregarius
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 525

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 31 Oct 2017 15:58 #256722

Yeah, I am thinking 3 minimum on it, really. You need the dynamic of potentially having two dogma shares and as in most majority mechanics, there is simply more competition with three. 2 is at least decent and you get 90 percent of the experience, but I would choose to play something else with 2 unless I just wanted to do some splaying and tucking.
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
  • Thank you received: 6053
The following user(s) said Thank You: cranberries

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 31 Oct 2017 16:36 #256726

I just got a copy of this that I had ordered before I went into full drama mode and started selling off my collection. So what is the best single expansion to get for this?
  • cranberries
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 31 Oct 2017 18:57 #256735

Just played Mega Innovation (i.e. ALL THE EXPANSIONS) at Pax Aus, and it's not for the faint hearted. Took 3 hours (but that included going over and over again the different drawing rules for each expansion - and we forgot an important one for Figures) and we were pretty fried at the end. My friend Kevin managed to leap from age 5 to age 8 somehow and soon was just dicking around trying to work out how to end the game without handing the victory to someone else. He finally managed to land his 9th achievement and win.

Yes, probably just one expansion at a time in future.

It made a local news report (briefly - probably due to Kevin's wizard's hat)

IMG_6622.png
  • trif
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 51
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, cranberries, Msample, scrumpyjack

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 01 Nov 2017 08:50 #256761

My wife and I play a lot of two player Innovation, we use the Echos and Figures expansion- I was not aware that there were more expansions. Can anyone tell me if the new ones are worth getting?

My wife bought it for me for Christmas a few years ago after researching two-player games. Years later it still get played. The cards are getting stained and a few are warped from spilled drinks, but we just played two nights ago and it is still fun. I think it works great as a two-player game.

Although the game has a large table footprint, It packs up small enough to travel with. We've played it in tents, yurts, and hotel rooms. One time when the kids were young and we had even less money, we dropped the kids off at grandmas and went and bought ice cream and then drove back to the in-laws house and hid out in my father-in-laws unattached wood shop and played innovation as a date night. We've played in at least a 100 times. Memories.. Getting a little teary eyed here.
  • edulis
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 173
The following user(s) said Thank You: cranberries, birdman37

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 01 Nov 2017 09:45 #256763

edulis wrote:
My wife and I play a lot of two player Innovation, we use the Echos and Figures expansion- I was not aware that there were more expansions. Can anyone tell me if the new ones are worth getting?

My wife bought it for me for Christmas a few years ago after researching two-player games. Years later it still get played. The cards are getting stained and a few are warped from spilled drinks, but we just played two nights ago and it is still fun. I think it works great as a two-player game.

Although the game has a large table footprint, It packs up small enough to travel with. We've played it in tents, yurts, and hotel rooms. One time when the kids were young and we had even less money, we dropped the kids off at grandmas and went and bought ice cream and then drove back to the in-laws house and hid out in my father-in-laws unattached wood shop and played innovation as a date night. We've played in at least a 100 times. Memories.. Getting a little teary eyed here.

This is an awesome story, and I'm getting a little teary-eyed because I know that I will never play this game 100 times with my wife, or even five times. Not to be a pedant, but I think Echoes of Time and Figures in the Sand are two different expansions that are apparently sold together on Amazon.
  • cranberries
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
The following user(s) said Thank You: edulis
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.323 seconds