Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 08 Nov 2017 12:37 #257263

Michael Barnes wrote:
Man, that is vintage Hans Im Gluck/Alea circa 2000-2004.
In what respect? Subject matter, perhaps, or general feel? I only ask because the art in those Hans Im Gluck games seems lighter and of more refined line that this particular piece.
  • xthexlo
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 66
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 08 Nov 2017 13:06 #257265

Introduced one of my regulars to Warhammer Quest: The Card Game last night. We just played the first scenario with Grump and I'd loaded the enemy deck with Ghouls and Night Goblin Warriors to go with the scenario enemies (Boyz, archers, bats, etc.) Having played a couple times before, it's a lot easier to teach, but I still think the rulebook formatting in this one is atrocious. There are so many key rules that lack any kind of emphasis (like simple bolding). so that if you overlook them in the mass of text, you could really be missing something important to the function of the game. And their "Learn to Play" scenario is worse than the usual "this will never happen in-game" situation. It deliberately excludes many of the rules needed to actually play the game, including combat. Just horrible.

Anyway, we stuck with the standard characters, even though I have the Witch Hunter and Ironbreaker and managed to chase away Grump the two times he appeared before the final fight and generally hacked our way through. One of these days, we'll actually have to try a campaign.
  • Jackwraith
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Ninja
  • Thank you received: 959
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 08 Nov 2017 13:19 #257267

Jackwraith wrote:
Introduced one of my regulars to Warhammer Quest: The Card Game last night. We just played the first scenario with Grump and I'd loaded the enemy deck with Ghouls and Night Goblin Warriors to go with the scenario enemies (Boyz, archers, bats, etc.) Having played a couple times before, it's a lot easier to teach, but I still think the rulebook formatting in this one is atrocious. There are so many key rules that lack any kind of emphasis (like simple bolding). so that if you overlook them in the mass of text, you could really be missing something important to the function of the game. And their "Learn to Play" scenario is worse than the usual "this will never happen in-game" situation. It deliberately excludes many of the rules needed to actually play the game, including combat. Just horrible.

Anyway, we stuck with the standard characters, even though I have the Witch Hunter and Ironbreaker and managed to chase away Grump the two times he appeared before the final fight and generally hacked our way through. One of these days, we'll actually have to try a campaign.

In a strange coincidence, I played the exact same game last night. I agree on the rules. I was able to suss out everything, but the rules did it no favors. I am generally in favor of FFG's two-rulebooks approach, but in that case it made the game seem much more complicated than it actually is. We ended up losing that one scenario, but the group I was with liked the game a lot. We actually saved our progress and I'm fairly sure we'll continue the campaign.

Before that we tried the first scenario of Mansions of Madness 2e. I'm not sure exactly what I expected from this, but I liked it better than I thought I would. I like the way the app does the heavy lifting and keeps the table from getting too cluttered with tokens and cards. I also like how the damage and horror worked, with those cards instead of simple tokens. The shape of the game itself felt a lot more like a more RPG experience than something like Imperial Assault, which was just a dressed-up tactical game. I didn't spend the money for it, so I don't really have a stake in it. But at least after one game I'm absolutely willing to play again.
Subscribe to my game blog, The Rumpus Room.
sanildefanso.wordpress.com

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 08 Nov 2017 14:24 #257270

Does Klask count as a board game?

I brought it into work and we have been playing that throughout the day. Great fun,
  • the_jake_1973
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 431
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik, aaxiom, JEM

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 09 Nov 2017 16:41 #257360

I've been playing Tomb of Annihilation. Here is the good news. It is probably the best D&DAS game to date. I'm really not sure what Kevin Wilson actually designed in it other than the scenarios, but they are quite a bit better than usual. The upgrades in TOEE have been brought forward and refined somewhat, and the leveling/between scenarios shopping is a little better. But overall, it is exactly what you would expect. This is fine by me, because it is still probably my favorite game in its class. It's so simple and straightforward, and there are no fancy mechanics to get in the way. It plays so smoothly, it just puts games like Conan, Massive Darkness, Sword and Sorcery, etc. to shame in terms of accessibility and ease of play. Plus, it's genuine D&D. Cone of Cold and Melf's Acid Arrow. Classic stuff.

HOWEVER, here is the bad news. Remember being concerned about Wizkids getting the rights to...well, anything? Here it is made manifest. The quality level has taken a nosedive. This is one of the chintziest board games on the market today. The miniatures are DISGRACEFULLY bad. They are barely detailed, brittle, and ugly. The past titles in this series have had some pretty decent gumball machine figures, these are like the lowest bid Chinese manufacturer and it is a shame. There isn't even a dragon or big monster...just this stupid looking Stone Juggernaut. I honestly haven't seen figures this bad in a game since Defenders of the Last Stand. The card quality is also horrid. They are flimsy. The punchboards are fine, but a little peel-y.

The upside is that the tiles this time look better than ever. But then that flips back over and the character cards have HORRID artwork.

And can you believe there is NO female player character? WTF.

I'm finding myself asking a tough question despite how crappy the quality of this one is..whether I want to ditch the first three games and just keep the latest two because they really are quite a bit better overall. I can't imagine busting down to Castle Ravenloft without all of the changes. And the games are not really 100% backwards compatible, and there has been zero effort to make sure that past heroes and monsters are in balance with the new ones.

The biggest disappointment overall though is that once again an opportunity has been missed to really refresh and update the game. You could argue that it doesn't need it, but I think some updates here and there and a new visual style wouldn't have hurt it.

So there it is...another D&DAS game five years after I thought the series had run its course.
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
  • Thank you received: 6053
Last Edit: 10 Nov 2017 10:19 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, allismom3, Jexik, aaxiom, JEM

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 10 Nov 2017 10:05 #257392

Is it still essentially run on a 4E skeleton with daily powers and such?
  • Jexik
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 415

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 10 Nov 2017 10:17 #257396

It's exactly the same as the old games in that regard. There seems to be more ways to refresh the daily/utility powers though.

No more leveling up on a 20.
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
  • Thank you received: 6053
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 10 Nov 2017 10:49 #257398

I love those games, but I haven't bought one since Legend of Drizzt, and I'm kind of done purchasing them I think. They take up a lot of space, and I already have more content for that system than I ever think I'll use.
Subscribe to my game blog, The Rumpus Room.
sanildefanso.wordpress.com

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 10 Nov 2017 11:25 #257399

I had a friend who was buying them all, so I never did. The last we played together was Wrath of Ashardalon, which was what, the 2nd one? I liked them fine, but didn't need to get it myself since he was the most likely playing partner.
  • Jexik
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 415

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 12 Nov 2017 20:04 #257514

Played a game of Xia this evening with my spouse, she loves the game but is a fanatical space capitalist and focuses on nothing else. I find the game charming, it has an old fashioned DIY sensibility in some ways. Not tight at all. Expansion is good, well worth buying and not just for key fixes like the economy board.

I wouldn't play to more than 15, by the way---the game bogs way down when you have tier three ships, huge engines, tons of special powers etc. Fame points 15-20 wouldn't take many turns but would take a lot of time.
  • Gary Sax
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2473
Last Edit: 12 Nov 2017 20:05 by Gary Sax.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 13 Nov 2017 05:48 #257521

This past weekend was the return of Trashfest Northeast. Many games were played including but not limited to:

Advanced Squad Leader: Old Skool F:ATie, Billy Zavos, had expressed a desire to learn ASL some time in the past and I took the opportunity to teach him the basics of the game this weekend. We used the ASL Starter Kit which reduces the 4.2 pounds of rules down to a very manageable 15 pages or so with six scenarios and two map boards all for around $20.

Billy caught on quickly and we had a good time. I did win but it was close and god fun.

As they heroin dealers say "The first taste is free. Tell your friends where you got it." Welcome to the Hive Mind, Billy.

Star Trek Ascendancy: Even though I have the expansions, we played with the original three. In recent plays I have been trying to figure out how to win as the Klingons. It's harder than it seems and I have been crushed each and every time. This was no exception. It was a strange board where the Klingon Empire was only connected to the Romulans and Federation in the very last turn or two. Tough to make points blowing up your enemies if you are in a pocket universe.

Tech?No! Bowl, I played several times. I think it is great fun if you take it for what it is which is NOT a simulation of the NFL but is actually a board game of a video game which is a light hearted take on football. The rule book is crap and it is something of a pain to teach. It also benefits from fast and speedy play. In fact the rules state specific time limits for the planing stages of each turn. However, playing the first game or teaching the game, you can't really use those. Anyway, I recommend it but be ready to accept wild swings of fate and silly results as your perfect play falls apart on occasion. Also....good lord...so many teams to chose from in the box...

I played The Warriors which is the game version of the Patriots. I did ok. Winning at least one game. Hey that's better than I normally do.

Clank! saw some play. This is a deck builder in the spirit of the DC Deckbuilder game with a spacial element in the form of a board added on. There is also a dragon which can cause you some damage by attacking. It was nice and enjoyable. Probably more than it has a right to be which is just the way I feel about the DC game. Can't really remember how badly I did but I didn't win.

Other games which were played, though I was not involved in them were the Buffy version of Legendary. Betrayal at Waterdeep or what ever the fantasy version of Betrayal at house on the Hill is called. A crowd of people played "The Thing", a social deduction game which caused many shouts of glee and despair. Seemed like they all had a great time. Some Euro stuff that I payed no attention to also got played.
  • repoman
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1991
All Hammers All the Time
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames, JEM

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 13 Nov 2017 10:28 #257537

Was also at Trashfest, though not as long as I would have liked. I played

Alien Artifacts - taught twice to two groups who seemed to enjoy it. There's definitely too much randomness in it for the Euro crowd, but although there can be PVP combat, I've yet to be convinced it's worth doing. And then on Sunday I taught it to my regular group. One player immediately set out to find the most broken, annoying way to play and did it to second place. Another hated it. So, not gonna be much love there.

Quest for El Dorado - I guess this is getting a lot of buzz, but I was not familiar with it. IT's a fun Knizia race game with some deckbuilding. The fact that there's not a lot to it is its strength: there isn't a bunch of dumb crazy overhead bullshit baked in, just a race to the end.

Evolution - playing this with 6 FATties is the best way.

Argent - I enjoy this mess of a game, though my regular group doesn't, so I was glad to get in on it. A good time on a weird setup, and I did TERRIBLE.

I had to leave after that, but had a really good time. I need to get down there more.
  • Legomancer
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1873

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 13 Nov 2017 11:12 #257542

I played Merchants and Marauders and had quite a bit of fun despite never being a threat. This was my first go at this and I'd like to try it again.

I couldn't agree more on the Tomb of Annihilation. The minis are the worst yet. The scale is off, in a bid to shave a few pennies from costs obviously. As a matter of fact every aspect of each component appears to be an exercise in cost cutting, and it has been the most expensive one in the series. This is very disappointing.

Perhaps I should reach out to Billy and offer him my second edition Squad Leader with the three expansions I'll be selling shortly?
  • Pat II
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 86

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 13 Nov 2017 11:24 #257543

Don't buy that Squad Leader retro shit.
ASL is the only way.

Praise Bob.
  • ThirstyMan
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1130
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 13 Nov 2017 13:04 #257554

I was not at Trashfest because I live in Michigan. I did manage to play:

Legend of the Five Rings
- Two games in our tournament. One regular victory, one regular loss with the same Lion deck that finished 2nd the week before. Need to make some tweaks to my conflict deck.

Merlin - My wife and I love Feld games. This might be the most fun one he's ever done. If you've ever played Artus by K&K, it's reminiscent albeit MUCH less chaotic.

Can't Stop - She won 2 out of 3. Always fun.
MWChapel wrote: Euro's are trying to bring gaming to the level of competitive sports. Competition based on skill outweighs the basic theme driven escapism. Sport over entertainment.

Jeb wrote: If...
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.413 seconds