Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 13 Nov 2017 13:25 #257556

PUZZLE STRIKE: I love this game. Played with eldest and youngest. Managed to Combine over a couple of turns for a 4-Gem that I counter-crash'd to put the eldest on watch. I was deGray and Pilebunker was wrecking their development. I think they should have ganged up on me, but my youngest was new to the game and sorting things out.

Kids were at PICTOMANIA a couple of times. I wasn't around to get in on it, but that is a great game too.

Weird game of CYCLADES (no expansions). There were no attacks until the last couple of turns. I had six chances as Zeus to roll into Pegasus or the Cyclops to win and missed it. Oh well.
  • jeb
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2097
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 13 Nov 2017 15:13 #257569

cranberries wrote:
edulis wrote:
My wife and I play a lot of two player Innovation, we use the Echos and Figures expansion- I was not aware that there were more expansions. Can anyone tell me if the new ones are worth getting?

My wife bought it for me for Christmas a few years ago after researching two-player games. Years later it still get played. The cards are getting stained and a few are warped from spilled drinks, but we just played two nights ago and it is still fun. I think it works great as a two-player game.

Although the game has a large table footprint, It packs up small enough to travel with. We've played it in tents, yurts, and hotel rooms. One time when the kids were young and we had even less money, we dropped the kids off at grandmas and went and bought ice cream and then drove back to the in-laws house and hid out in my father-in-laws unattached wood shop and played innovation as a date night. We've played in at least a 100 times. Memories.. Getting a little teary eyed here.

This is an awesome story, and I'm getting a little teary-eyed because I know that I will never play this game 100 times with my wife, or even five times. Not to be a pedant, but I think Echoes of Time and Figures in the Sand are two different expansions that are apparently sold together on Amazon.

Sold separately for the Iello edition perhaps, but all packaged together with the base game for the KS edition that released this past summer.
  • Msample
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 649

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 14 Nov 2017 09:30 #257614

I finally got around to playing Abaddon. It’s been sitting here for a while so I figured I’d break it out.

It’s like a slightly less complex Heroscape, but without the large, unique sets of squads and heroes, and without glyphs. It’s fun in a sort of mindless way. The scenarios all feel samey, but that’s only from a reading of them.

The card play is fun, but kind of weird. I’m not a fan of Borg, and this reinforces my belief that he is a one trick pony and all of his fighting games share a common ancestry of sorts with regard to cardplay.

The models are spectacular and the hit point system is very Battleship Galaxies but better from a practical standpoint.

My moms going to be in town for a couple of weeks before going home to Italy, so I’ll probably end up spending some time painting the minis up while she chatters on.
  • SuperflyTNT
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3355
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 14 Nov 2017 09:54 #257616

My main issue with Abaddon is that I dislike the mechanic of only being able to activate a unit if I rolled the right dice value. So my house rule (which really hasn't seen much testing since Abaddon never gets played) is that you can either roll the dice for activation or choose any 2 units (I don't remember how many exactly but you took a small penalty over the random choice).
  • hotseatgames
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1579

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 14 Nov 2017 10:31 #257617

hotseatgames wrote:
My main issue with Abaddon is that I dislike the mechanic of only being able to activate a unit if I rolled the right dice value. So my house rule (which really hasn't seen much testing since Abaddon never gets played) is that you can either roll the dice for activation or choose any 2 units (I don't remember how many exactly but you took a small penalty over the random choice).

This is why I've more or less given up on Borg titles in favor of the Hold The Line system. Your number of actions may be limited, but you get to move your priority piece no matter what.
  • Sagrilarus
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2588

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 14 Nov 2017 10:59 #257620

Sagrilarus wrote:
hotseatgames wrote:

This is why I've more or less given up on Borg titles in favor of the Hold The Line system. Your number of actions may be limited, but you get to move your priority piece no matter what.
Is this its? boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/35342/hold-line
  • cranberries
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1130

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 14 Nov 2017 16:19 #257636

cranberries wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:
hotseatgames wrote:

Is this its? boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/35342/hold-line

That's the critter. Look at Frederick's War as well (I reviewed it here) and Horse & Musket which are also in the same family.
  • Sagrilarus
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2588
The following user(s) said Thank You: cranberries

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 17 Nov 2017 00:12 #257777

Fury of Dracula, 3rd Ed. It's the first time we've gotten it to the table. I think the minor modifications they made from 2nd Ed. all panned out really well. Combat is much better and there are no Get Out of Jail Free cards for Dracula. I was playing the Prince of Darkness and tried to start with my old trick of Valona - Hide - Ionian Sea, but the Hunters randomly picked Valona to check on their third turn and they knew where I'd entered the water. (The same trick works in Galway a lot of the time.) That left me fleeing to Spain and then dancing around Iberia and Gaul for a while. I did manage to lose them and the clock had gone full face, which meant I was advancing the Influence track by 3 every time I dropped a new city location. But I was also on very low health from all my trips across the water and using Wolf Form. I hopped the Adriatic back to Velona with 1 wound remaining and Van Helsing used Sense of Emergency which he'd been holding for most of the game and rushed into town to attack me. Unfortunately for him, even though I hadn't been able to mature a single vampire, I had matured two Szagany Bodyguards, who promptly did 8 wounds to him when he revealed that he wasn't carrying a weapon. With one dead Hunter, that took the track to 13 (15, actually) and victory for the evil one. It was definitely closer than any of our games in 2nd Ed. had ever been, which made for a really good time.
  • Jackwraith
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Ninja
  • Thank you received: 959
Last Edit: 17 Nov 2017 08:27 by Jackwraith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NeonPeon, cranberries, hotseatgames, Frohike, stoic, JEM

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 18 Nov 2017 22:18 #257869

Played a 300pt solo game of Armada. Fun times!

IMG_20171118_162938.jpg

I enjoyed the game a lot but I would love to play more games in anger to figure out a few things. In particular, I just can't figure out how to get bombers to really sting. If you look at that above imperial setup, I took a carrier with a couple upgrades and 3 bombers, a devastator, and an imperial shuttle along with 4 ties for screening. They got some hits in but I could not shake the feeling the imperials would have been better off with one more corvette.

The one part of the game that just doesn't work for me is ramming. It's effortless for two ships with strong front arcs and not much turning to just get locked up at close range ramming each other and shooting for multiple turns. I wish the rules worked just a bit differently.
  • Gary Sax
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2473

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 19 Nov 2017 01:30 #257872

Mom’s in town, so we played games.

Codewords. Needed to play with someone other than my mom. Her spatial relationship issues made it one clue at a time, and I lost to my wife-daughter team 4 times in a row.

Alhambra The Dice Game. Surprisingly fun but oddly designed in that there’s D6 dice and 6 scoring tracks based on the dice, each more valuable than the next, but the dice have equal probability. Still, very strategic due to the bonus tiles. The rules are kind of rubbish though.

Hit Z Road. Still a really fun, simple game.

Hide The Kids. Kid’s game. Stupid fun. We were all laughing so hard we were choking. HOUSERULE: Must cover the eyes of the “wolf” and sing the circus song loudly while all the people are hiding their kids, and then move all of the furniture around so it’s totally random. OMG. Best ten bucks I’ve spent in a while.

Solo:
Atlantic Fleet IOS. Follow up to Pacific Fleet. Bad ass. Adds ASW warfare which is hard AF until you figure it out, then it’s only hard as hell.
  • SuperflyTNT
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3355
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.278 seconds