Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 04 Feb 2018 12:48 #262786

barrowdown wrote:
SuperflyTNT wrote:
Playing more of the “Unlock!” Games. Some
of these puzzles are legitimately unfair. I figured out a bunch (and I’m proud of that shit) but shit fire are some of these so convoluted and complex that it is unreasonable that a person would figure it out.

Was it the Island of Dr. Goorse? Because I think that one is terribly unfair.

Nah, we haven’t done that. It was the Nemo one. I figured out most of them but the one with the musical notes where you have to use two cards to connect the dots was fucking GHGGGAAAAARBAGE
  • SuperflyTNT
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3794
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 04 Feb 2018 13:22 #262787

Gary Sax wrote:
Discord is very easy. Just follow the link in the other thread, give it any e-mail, and then have some sort of microphone or headset. It's just a way to skype/hangout along with a chat channel so it's easy for large groups to pick up and drop in voice channels. It's the way most people do pc game voice chat these days.

VASSAL's a bit trickier but it depends on the quality of the module, which are largely made by volunteers. At its most basic it's just virtual pieces for games. Some have more or less tools of convenience but in general in VASSAL you enforce all rules. You download the VASSAL program itself and then you download whichever module has been uploaded to the VASSAL site. GMT games almost always have good modules since lots are playtested on it. Other companies vary wildly.

Actually, Josh, the Talon module looks pretty good. They even made some intro videos to vassal and it for newcomers:
www.insidegmt.com/?p=8298

I've used Vassal's Talon module a couple of times already and it's tight. A good choice.

The rules will take you about 30 minutes to read in full, and you likely won't have any questions. Very straightforward, intuitive rules once you get the hang of the Impulse concept.

I'll look to get in with you guys on this sometime soon. My coaching time just got much lower, so I have time for games, especially after 8pm which works better for you guys down-country.
  • Sagrilarus
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2900

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 04 Feb 2018 16:54 #262807

www.instagram.com/p/Beylq-nAK9c/

Here's why EH is a worse game than Arkham. Look at this piece of shit card. I'm linking you to Instagram cause I always fuck up picture posts here. My opinion on EH is changing. Specifically, going down, rarely have I fallen out of love in the way I am with EH. There is so much fucking horseshit in this game and it has almost nothing to do with mechanics other than Grudunza's point about fewer dice making EH more random in some ways.

And this is a single card, yes, but is archetypical of the creative bankrupcy of a lot of the effects of mythos and encounter cards. UGH.

Also, don't play Cthulhu as the GOO in EH. Something about him and his mechanics is just not a good time.
  • Gary Sax
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2757
Last Edit: 04 Feb 2018 16:57 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Shellhead, Jason Lutes, Hex Sinister, Msample, hotseatgames

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 05 Feb 2018 16:42 #262894

I dunno when I last updated here, but here's the stuff I've been doing lately.

DRCongo - I don't remember where I first saw DRCongo, but it instantly grabbed my attention as being one of those rare games which is set in modern day in a place other than America, Europe, or Plorgon VI. I was eager to give it a try, and late last year I managed to get a copy in an auction.

It's interestingly done, as there's a core game that is just a straight up economic engine game. To that you can add insurgents, forces that destabilize the economy, and deploy peacekeepers to keep them at bay. On top of that you can then add government ministers, and on top of that you can add outside influence from the international community.

We started with the base game which was an interesting enough economic game, nothing particularly special. We then played with the insurgents and it was great. Starting with the base was a definite plus because it let us see just how the insurgents interfered with everything. This game has been really cool and I'm looking forward to the next level of it.

Palastgefluster is an obscure game from Adlung-Spiele that nobody knows and everyone says "gesundheit!" after you say it. It was hampered by a not great scoring system that resulted in ties all the time and made it take forever. An alternative scoring system has saved this and I've managed to get it to the table a few times. It's a fave of mine.

Chicago Express, Continental Divide, Iberian Rails - I have a pal who enjoys trains-n-stocks games. It's not a genre I'm particularly fond of but I don't mind playing every now and then (the shorter games, not the 18XX stuff). But man, it's like you people and your minis games or all those damn optimize your production engine euros. There are eighty bazillion of them, they differ from each other in tiny ways that only a die-hard devotee would care about, and there's usually only one that's worth playing anyhow. I like American Rails in this genre as the standout, and these three did nothing to change that. In fact, Continental Divide is just a thick slice of hot ass.

Medici the Card Game - This has gotten overlooked no doubt because people looked at it and thought, "fuck, another The Card Game". I would have thought the same thing. Someone suggested it at a con and I said sure, I'd give it a try. It's REALLY good. Medici is THE quintessential pure auction game and yet this manages to give a similar look and feel while delivering a different game that doesn't have any auctions. Very well done.

Fallout - Finally got in a second play, which went to completion. This is only barely a multi-player game, but that's fine. It's fun with multiple players because you're all watching each other do your little adventures and stories. It's crazy and random and sloppy and I am enjoying the hell out of it.

Doctor Who: Time of the Daleks - I am extremely wary of licensed games. Not just because they usually aren't very good, but because I want to play a game, not match references from TV shows. Even if it's a property I like, I'm not interested in flipping cards hoping to find the magical shoes from season 4, episode 6 in order to escape the burlap robot from season 2 episode 9. Nor am I interested in having the soup gun, which does 2d4 damage to everyone except Colonel Finkle, because we have to acknowledge that one scene where it missed him.

So in theory, this should be a miss for me, because there's a whole lot of that going on. Like, for example, if you have the Fez (because of course there's a damn fez) and you get River Song then she makes you get rid of it because lol River Song shot the fez that one time. And yet, it's a lot of goofy fun.

Part of what makes it nice is how well the old series elements are joined in with the new series. For me, who soured greatly on Doctors Eleven and Twelve, having elements from Doctors One and Four are a nice and welcome addition. But mostly it's the challenging and luck-pushing gameplay, which feels appropriate. The Doctor isn't (or, in my opinion, shouldn't be) one with long, elaborate, carefully constructed plans, he's always making do with what he has and hoping for the best.

I don't know what the rules say, but I do think the "cooperative but not really" element is silly. Just play it as a pure co-op; that makes far more sense and is more in the spirit. I will definitely say that it's not Firefly, the game built around the idea of "remember those three or four really funny moments?"

Alien Artifacts - I went from being incredibly fired up about this to putting it on the trade pile in no time. I think there's something inside there, but the rules as written and as clarified by Portal have strangled it in its cradle. It's possible that a few tweaks can rescue it, but why? I already have 51st State.

Valeria: Card Kingdoms - A pretty fun spin on Machi Koro, with characters granting abilities when dice are rolled. It's not bad but also not especially memorable.

Space Cadets: Away Missions - It kills me that this hasn't gotten its due, but I think I know why. It has a bunch of minis, which make half the audience go "boo, another damn minis game" and then it's a co-op, which makes the people who like minis go "boo, co-op". I personally am not a minis fan and while they are fine minis, they add nothing but bulk to the box for me. I'm here for the gameplay and retro sci-fi stylings. I always have fun playing it and want to do it more often, but it's a tough sell for the above reasons.

Coup - played this at a game store because a friend invited me in. I have no idea what the appeal of this thing is or why you would play it when Cockroach Poker exists. I suspect this is another Cosmic Encounter thing where those who love it will continually assure me I'm not smart enough or human enough to enjoy its true potential.

Escape from 100 Million BC - Two plays now and goddamn this thing is hard. In neither one did we even come close to winning. Both times have been with only two, so maybe it needs more to really go? Still, even in abject failure we've had a great time with this crazy thing.

Kingdomino - This is apparently the latest whizbangery from the people who were blown away by Splendor, Spice Road, and Sagrada. It's so feather light and inoffensive that you'd have to be an absolute churl to dislike it and yet I'm ready to take up the challenge. There's nothing to this game. Like those others I mentioned, it's motions to go through. I'm in the minority though; it's well beloved.
  • Legomancer
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1969
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, allismom3, cranberries, Frohike, stoic, Gregarius, Nodens, Unicron

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 05 Feb 2018 17:02 #262898

Thanks for posting, Dave.

I feel like an interpretation of the DRC could make a really good entry for the Pax system. There's a real multisided everyone acting on a rapidly tilting playing field to DRC's politics and economics. Not sure what the twist would be, though, over Pax Porfiriana. Please do update with your impressions of DRCongo, sounds fascinating.
  • Gary Sax
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2757
Last Edit: 05 Feb 2018 17:03 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 05 Feb 2018 17:16 #262906

Legomancer wrote:
Escape from 100 Million BC - Two plays now and goddamn this thing is hard. In neither one did we even come close to winning. Both times have been with only two, so maybe it needs more to really go? Still, even in abject failure we've had a great time with this crazy thing.

Escape was created by Kevin Wilson, and shares some common elements with his Arkham Horror, including maybe a scaling problem at low player counts. IIRC, Escape recommends running 3 characters if you play solo. So maybe it's too difficult for a two-player game unless both players run two characters.
  • Shellhead
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2884
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 05 Feb 2018 17:32 #262908

Legomancer wrote:
DRCongo - I don't remember where I first saw DRCongo, but it instantly grabbed my attention as being one of those rare games which is set in modern day in a place other than America, Europe, or Plorgon VI. I was eager to give it a try, and late last year I managed to get a copy in an auction.

It's interestingly done, as there's a core game that is just a straight up economic engine game. To that you can add insurgents, forces that destabilize the economy, and deploy peacekeepers to keep them at bay. On top of that you can then add government ministers, and on top of that you can add outside influence from the international community.

We started with the base game which was an interesting enough economic game, nothing particularly special. We then played with the insurgents and it was great. Starting with the base was a definite plus because it let us see just how the insurgents interfered with everything. This game has been really cool and I'm looking forward to the next level of it.

Thanks for the comments. I didn't know this game existed since it was a Kickstarter creation and that isn't much on my radar. I like the board. I'm looking for a African Continent game that duplicates the feel of The Wild Geese or The Dogs of War movies. Is this that game?

boarddrcongo.jpg
  • stoic
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 743
Last Edit: 05 Feb 2018 17:33 by stoic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 05 Feb 2018 23:36 #262939

Palastgefluster is a cult game with my group (we've even played the Japanese version!)

I like the idea of the new scoring, so will have to give it a try at our next game session (if everyone there has played it before.)
  • trif
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 55
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 06 Feb 2018 08:59 #262946

stoic wrote:
Thanks for the comments. I didn't know this game existed since it was a Kickstarter creation and that isn't much on my radar. I like the board. I'm looking for a African Continent game that duplicates the feel of The Wild Geese or The Dogs of War movies. Is this that game?

I've never seen those movies and don't know anything about them, so I can't say.

I'll say this, though, if you're looking for a deep combat sim once the insurgents are in play, you'll probably be disappointed. There are two types of insurgents: Minor (4) and Major (6). The number is what you need to beat them, and you get the number by rolling a die and adding # of Peacekeepers + level of any city in the space. That's it.

What's interesting, though, is that all Peacekeepers join in the fight and you can send your Peacekeepers anywhere. And all participating players share in the rewards for defeating insurgents. So you can totally go in and use someone else's guys to get yourself a reward. There are a lot of elements like that.
  • Legomancer
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1969
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, stoic

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 06 Feb 2018 09:21 #262952

DRCongo is fantastic, glad someone's still playing it. Dan Thurot and I both reviewed it back when it came out. It still holds up.
  • charlest
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1844
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, stoic

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 06 Feb 2018 09:51 #262959

Once again, Terraforming Mars with the missus. After about the halfway point we were both convinced that we were going to get a relatively close loss. We ended up tied in points and tied in money, thus a tie game.
  • RobertB
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 445
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gregarius

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 06 Feb 2018 12:04 #262988

Legomancer wrote:
Coup - played this at a game store because a friend invited me in. I have no idea what the appeal of this thing is or why you would play it when Cockroach Poker exists. I suspect this is another Cosmic Encounter thing where those who love it will continually assure me I'm not smart enough or human enough to enjoy its true potential.
It's so funny to me that we disagree on many games, but when we agree it's completely identical.
  • Gregarius
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 574

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 06 Feb 2018 12:38 #262993

I liked Coup for a while, then it fell off hard. I think my problem is that the game actually gets less ambiguous as it goes on. The second half of it boils down to very simple card counting and analytical play. I also am not sure it actually rewards bluffing enough. The penalty for getting caught is pretty steep. It's almost like it was designed for people who don't actually like bluffing games.

In a world with Mascarade and, yes, Cockroach Poker, there's no reason for me to be playing Coup.
Subscribe to my game blog, The Rumpus Room.
sanildefanso.wordpress.com

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 06 Feb 2018 12:45 #262995

Shellhead wrote:
Legomancer wrote:

Escape was created by Kevin Wilson, and shares some common elements with his Arkham Horror, including maybe a scaling problem at low player counts. IIRC, Escape recommends running 3 characters if you play solo. So maybe it's too difficult for a two-player game unless both players run two characters.

I think 3 is the sweet spot. At 4 it starts to get too easy.
  • ubarose
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Bene Gesserit Mother
  • Thank you received: 1485
Uba WANTS a lot of shitty opinions and HAS a tray of Maker’s Mark
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 06 Feb 2018 13:29 #263005

Coup: my daughter and her friends seem to like it, but I do need to get Cockroach Poker out for them sometime.
  • RobertB
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 445
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.410 seconds