October 09, 2023
2292 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
07 Jul 2016 13:52 #229813 by metalface13

Josh Look wrote: TNG/DS9 era. You can play as Federation or Klingons, 2 different captains each. You fight Romulans, Dominion, and Borg.

I played again and if anything, it might be too easy for seasoned MK players. It's not the partial blocks that does it, it's the starbases not having immunity to long range attacks like the strongholds and mage towers did. Though taking the -1 reputation hit in this game has much more weight to it since the away missions give you another use for influence (now diplomacy). I can't tell you how many times I've had to pick between an away mission and getting a new crew member.

It's certainly more forgiving than Mage Knight, which could be a good thing if you have new players. Plus, there's nothing to stop you from using the old rules.

Hmm, I dunno I think Mage Knight is pretty hard, I don't think we ever hit victory conditions within the allotted time limit. Easier might not be a bad thing. Hmm, I'm intrigued but I've just never really watched much Star Trek, I had to google the Dominion because I had no idea who they were.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2016 08:49 #229832 by JEM
We did a short run to town in Shadows of Brimstone last night. Relaxing in the hot baths did nothing to dislodge Patsy's soul parasite, but did raise some questions on the subject of hygiene in such places. Jessica finally got her Book of Armageddon, so there will be some serious bible thumping in the next adventure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

More
08 Jul 2016 14:05 #229849 by Egg Shen

jay718 wrote: Man, I've been wanting to play Fortune and Glory for YEARS. I read somewhere that the expansions really rounded it out, but I just couldn't bring myself to shell out $150+ for it. I'd love to check it out at ConnCon or Trashfest though...

I'm pretty sure we can make this happen.

More
08 Jul 2016 14:56 #229858 by mads b.
I've been playing My First Stone Age with the 4- and 7-year-olds and it's an excellent game. It looks great with small wooden ressources you have to gather in order to build your huts, and the central memory element adds excitement, but you can still fare pretty well if you're young. It's not Dungeon Quest in terms of narrative, but it's easily one of the best kids games I have played in a long while.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, JEM

More
08 Jul 2016 14:59 #229859 by Black Barney
i don't want to have to explain to my daughter what happens in that hut

More
08 Jul 2016 15:13 #229860 by boothwah

Black Barney wrote: i don't want to have to explain to my daughter what happens in that hut

CHOOSE DEATH OR UNGA BUNGA!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
08 Jul 2016 15:25 #229863 by Josh Look
Debated on where to put this with all the GW talk, but here it is. Got together with Uba and Al last night and played Ultra Marines. By the Emperor, was it FUN. It's kind of what you'd get if you mashed up Space Hulk with Wiz-War. It's a bit of capture the flag, a bit of being a dick to everyone at the table, all on the same exact tiles from 1st edition SH. There's a deck of event cards that really do make the game, allowing you to do all sorts of fun, nasty things like having doors slam shut, have hidden grenades go off, sick genestealers on unsuspecting marines, or set off the terrible vortex grenade.

The combat involves rolling D6s from 30cm above the boxlid, into a target printed inside. This was totally ridiculous and needs to be brought back into a modern game design.

So yeah, I loved this game. You have to be okay with house rules and dead simple gameplay, but what site is this anyway?
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, JEM

More
08 Jul 2016 15:28 #229864 by JEM

boothwah wrote:

Black Barney wrote: i don't want to have to explain to my daughter what happens in that hut

CHOOSE DEATH OR UNGA BUNGA!

Snoo-Snoo.

More
08 Jul 2016 15:32 #229867 by RobertB

More
08 Jul 2016 15:44 #229870 by mads b.

You don't get extra workers in the junior version, so I guess they just sleep.

But my eldest are 4 and 7 and have a baby brother.. Explaining has been done so in that respect they are ready to play Stone Age. (I was gonna say grown up stone age, but that would just seem wrong somehow. Which, on the other hand, is a fair description of any conversation with Black Barney in it)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
08 Jul 2016 22:45 #229901 by JEM
more SoB tonight. We were chasing down some mad preacher who was doing some shady deal with the devil (Cynder Mission). This was a fast one (most Cynder ones are) with the darkness moving double time, and the end room being guaranteed on the sixth tile. Every fight was with a single large monster- the void hound was a new one for us, and unlike most two player adventures we got to fight a goliath at the end. It came down to the last Hold Back the Darkness roll whether we would win or not- the monster itself was not too much to deal with. Jessica the preacher did just enough to kill it and win us the mission. I also got some neet armour that meant I was clanking around like Ned Kelly for half the adventure. I'm selling it to get that cavalry sabre, though...
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

More
09 Jul 2016 00:36 #229903 by SebastianBludd

JEM wrote: more SoB tonight. We were chasing down some mad preacher who was doing some shady deal with the devil (Cynder Mission). This was a fast one (most Cynder ones are) with the darkness moving double time, and the end room being guaranteed on the sixth tile.

I haven't had a chance to play any of the Cynder missions yet so this is nice to hear. To that end, going forward I'm almost certainly going to institute a house rule where the encounter tokens are going to be pulled from a presorted, seeded stack where you're guaranteed to pull a clue token at certain intervals. I've had too many missions devolve into tedium just because we couldn't pull any damned clue tokens.

More
09 Jul 2016 10:21 #229910 by Cranberries
We've been playing some SybbNtGlY with the Halifax variant and also a little GmTTbL but my kids were complaining about the randomness. Still, the miniatures are so nice that it's still fun to break it out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aaxiom

More
09 Jul 2016 11:02 #229916 by SuperflyPete
The acronyms are both hilarious and unintelligible
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, aaxiom, Gregarius

More
10 Jul 2016 12:23 - 10 Jul 2016 12:24 #229933 by Gary Sax
Argent: the Consortium is evergreen in our house. Played it 3 players Friday night, 2 players today. Anyone who doesn't have this who likes worker placement but has AT bones in their body... to me it is as close to perfect as they come. My only beef is that influence is a little too powerful (breaks ties, has an auto voter associated with it, gives merit badges). Something I've been debating is making the most influence voter a non-automatic voter to tone it down just a little bit? Might be a tough sell with my group.
Last edit: 10 Jul 2016 12:24 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Frohike, aaxiom, JEM

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.572 seconds