October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2651 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
25 Jul 2016 19:48 - 25 Jul 2016 19:51 #230815 by Sevej

Gary Sax wrote:

Sevej wrote: The infantry mods are pretty easy... there are only some you will frequently use especially in the intro scenario (1/2 for buildings, 1 for concealment, 3 for adjacent, -4 when target is moving in open space). Tanks mods are much more confusing, and also that you gain bonus twice for adjacency during OpFire (once the normal mod, the other bringing your proficiency fire closer to your actual firepower) may cause some confusion.

The vehicle rules made me wince when I saw them in the back, made me wish I hadn't gotten the eastern front one which is a lot of tank battles, I think? The proficient tasks modifiers table WAS very confusing, so that one got me.

It's still better than the western front one, since that was using the old style proficiency test. But yeah, more infantry in that one. The good thing about GP is that Russian infantry works *differently*. In the original game, both sides try to pin, flank, and move in for the kill. Not in this one. German still do that, but Russia will need to flood the streets with bodies.

I think they currently run a second chance kickstarter for BoB.

I have to re-learn the vehicle proficiency table everytime I play, but once I read it, it's not that bad. The worst thing, I think, is the ones not on the table. Like the restrictions on 1/3 moves, half moves etc for vehicles, which commands what the vehicle can do, whether to put a OpFire or move counter (which is a big thing) or not, and whether troops can get on/off from transport.
Last edit: 25 Jul 2016 19:51 by Sevej.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2016 03:46 #230835 by Michael Barnes
Took advantage of same day delivery on Ghostbusters so we played it three times and then I soloed it once to see if it the advanced game was actually winnable (lost literally ONE space from it).

Kids loved it, I loved it. $20 well spent. It's a no-brainier purchase at that price if you like Ghostbusters, simple co-ops, or family games. It has that awesome "really good mass market game" feel. Production is fun, the tray is even "slimed".

I've been wanting Geister Geister Schatzchumeister for a while, I'm glad I waited on it because I like the Ghostbusters setting for this better.

Rules are bad though- lots of vaugeness and errors (even calls the PEDs "jewels" in one place, which is from the original game).

Buy with confidence.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scrumpyjack

More
26 Jul 2016 09:49 #230855 by hotseatgames
After years sitting lonely on the shelf, last night a friend and I played Defenders of the Realm. I had been wanting to give it another go, and I'm glad we did. We had a lot of fun, eventually losing when the 12th crystal tainted the land. We had defeated the ork and demon generals, and almost beat the undead general.

After that we played a game of Dungeon Fighter. This was my first game with all 4 expansions in play. Setup is slightly increased, and at one point we had to put the "flying" frame under the board, which lifts the entire board a bit off the table. That was pretty fun and worth the extra time involved. We lost one room away from the boss.

We ended the night with our first attempt at Mr. Bistro's Battleball Advanced ruleset. We really enjoyed the extra strategy that comes into play. We never bothered to attempt to "block". As much as we like this game, I'm not sure I need to spend money on another football-ish game. Techno Bowl does interest me though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
26 Jul 2016 11:43 #230866 by Space Ghost

Michael Barnes wrote: Took advantage of same day delivery on Ghostbusters so we played it three times and then I soloed it once to see if it the advanced game was actually winnable (lost literally ONE space from it).

Kids loved it, I loved it. $20 well spent. It's a no-brainier purchase at that price if you like Ghostbusters, simple co-ops, or family games. It has that awesome "really good mass market game" feel. Production is fun, the tray is even "slimed".

I've been wanting Geister Geister Schatzchumeister for a while, I'm glad I waited on it because I like the Ghostbusters setting for this better.

Rules are bad though- lots of vaugeness and errors (even calls the PEDs "jewels" in one place, which is from the original game).

Buy with confidence.

Heh, I just ordered this on Saturday --- should show up to day. A break in traveling let me finally get to see the movie with my wife, and we both found it lacking. I was somewhat disappointed; whereas, she just flat out hated it. I've been avoiding looking at reviews, but I think I saw Josh posted one -- I will make my comments in his thread.

FWIW, the fancy KS game isn't bad -- it is very much like Zombicide in my opinion. However, I think the retail version would suck -- you need the KS extras. But, this coming from a huge GB fan (thought I was the biggest fan on the site, but it is probably a close call between me and Josh).

More
26 Jul 2016 17:30 #230899 by Josh Look
I'm glad to hear you and your kids are enjoying it. The rumors are true: Bustin' does feel pretty good.

Space Ghost, I do have the Cryptozoic game but no KS extras. Haven't played it yet, but I know what you mean. There were some deep cuts in those campaigns that pained me to pass up.

Oh well. I may not have the KS extras, but I do have a screen accurate costume, including a custom name patch with "Look", almost done with goggles. Proton Pack is next. I want to do events, fundraisers, children's hospital visits, etc. I used to do Big Brothers Big Sisters and have been looking for a new outlet to do cool stuff with. Why not bring my GB fandom to it?
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, SuperflyPete, aaxiom

More
27 Jul 2016 00:21 #230918 by Cranberries

hotseatgames wrote:
We ended the night with our first attempt at Mr. Bistro's Battleball Advanced ruleset. We really enjoyed the extra strategy that comes into play. We never bothered to attempt to "block". As much as we like this game, I'm not sure I need to spend money on another football-ish game. Techno Bowl does interest me though.

I have a copy of Battleball in shrink-wrap. I think I bought five copies of this when it was on closeout at Kaybee toys, and I've been eyeing those advanced rules for a long time. Glad that someone has tried them out.

More
27 Jul 2016 10:55 #230929 by JEM
Tuesday night is two-player Shadows of Brimstone night, so the pair of us ventured into the Targa Plateau for one of the basic "find two (!) tokens" missions. This was our first mission at level five so we were using the "Brutal" sides of enemies, which are, well, brutal. We seemed to do alright though with the preacher healing 6-8 wounds a turn when not smiting for big damage, and I had the cavalry sabre to wield along with The Judge (a pistol that uses D8s to hit). Even so, a triple hit from a tentacle in the final room wiped me out in one attack, triggering our one Revive token, and presenting a lesson in not carrying a couple of wounds quite so causally.

More loot to sell, more darkstone, and we got to fight the Targa Custodians this time.

Running two posses is something of a logistics problem with trying to put cards back into the available decks, fish them out again, along with the town items which do not come with cards. Images are available online, though, so I've been printing and sleeving item cards as I need them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Mr. White

More
27 Jul 2016 10:56 #230930 by Mr. White
JEM...I'd like to start seeing some photos of these sessions.

More
27 Jul 2016 10:59 #230931 by JEM
When I've done more than black undercoat the minis, maybe! This is kind of becoming my lifestyle game and I'm looking forward to many winter nights painting the figures.

Meanwhile, take a bag full of dice, the card tokens from any board game you have, and six decks of cards. Tip them all out on the table and you get the idea.

More
27 Jul 2016 15:09 #230952 by Joebot
I got Flick 'Em Up from my wife for my birthday. I opened it up yesterday to read the rules and punch out the pieces ... only to discover that the game had already been punched, and probably 2/3 of the pieces were missing. It sure looks like Amazon sold me a returned item, from which somebody had mined most of the pieces.

So, I guess this technically belongs in the "What board game are you NOT playing" thread ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
27 Jul 2016 15:27 #230953 by SuperflyPete

craniac wrote:

hotseatgames wrote:

I have a copy of Battleball in shrink-wrap. I think I bought five copies of this when it was on closeout at Kaybee toys, and I've been eyeing those advanced rules for a long time. Glad that someone has tried them out.

For what it's worth, Bistro is a friend of mine and I've played his rule set at least 20 times. It's the only way to play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, aaxiom

More
28 Jul 2016 11:02 #230994 by R.P.Kraul
Played a few solo games of Dawn of the Zeds 3rd edition. Pretty underwhelming so far. It's more of a puzzle than a thematic game. Lots of upkeep. The rules, distributed between six rulebooks, are baffling cross-references. Owning a few other states of siege games, I should have known better, but I expected a more thematic experience from a zombie game. The game just uses zombies instead of enemy soldiers. I want to try it the higher levels to see if something clicks there, but my search for the perfect zombie game continues.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, JEM

More
28 Jul 2016 12:48 #231008 by Egg Shen

R.P.Kraul wrote: Played a few solo games of Dawn of the Zeds 3rd edition. Pretty underwhelming so far. It's more of a puzzle than a thematic game. Lots of upkeep. The rules, distributed between six rulebooks, are baffling cross-references. Owning a few other states of siege games, I should have known better, but I expected a more thematic experience from a zombie game. The game just uses zombies instead of enemy soldiers. I want to try it the higher levels to see if something clicks there, but my search for the perfect zombie game continues.

I'm glad I didn't bite on this one. It looks like it has plenty of cool ideas, but being buried in a bunch of rulebooks is not something I want out of a zombie game.

Curious...what other zombie games have you played at this point?

More
28 Jul 2016 13:19 - 28 Jul 2016 13:21 #231012 by R.P.Kraul

Egg Shen wrote: I'm glad I didn't bite on this one. It looks like it has plenty of cool ideas, but being buried in a bunch of rulebooks is not something I want out of a zombie game.

Curious...what other zombie games have you played at this point?

Last Night On Earth. I have some expansions, too. Great theme, but there are two bummers: 1) it needs a zombie player, 2) the search mechanic is very tedious.

Dark Darker Darkest. A mess of a rulebook, but there is update from the designer. Some really neat mechanics, including the camera. Sort of like Resident Evil. A pretty heavy game that is challenging to set up and kind of fiddly.

Plague of the Zombies. Print and play. Does some things better than LNOE, but it's a pretty basic game.

Zombicide. Played the first edition once. Didn't love it--so many gamey rules and a search mechanic not too different from LNOE. I could see the fun in it, but it was easy to game the game by staying in certain areas and not killing to much. A buddy of mine who prefers Eurogames liked it more than I did, so go figure. I understand Black Plague offers some big improvements, but I haven't played it. A big drawback is missing that plethora of CMON KS exclusives, but I don't know how much difference they make.

Zpocalypse. Never played but watched a ton of videos. I get the impression it, like Zombicide, has a lot of gamey rules.

I wish there were a Fulci-like spatter gore zombie game. Sort of like Psycho Raiders but with Zombies.
Last edit: 28 Jul 2016 13:21 by R.P.Kraul. Reason: Typo

More
28 Jul 2016 13:59 #231018 by JEM
Black Plague changes some rules, but nothing major. You're still standing in a street/room shooting/hitting zombies. The other sets add more elements that discourage stand & shoot behaviour. The whole system is also more "Resident Evil/Ash vs the Evil Dead" than "Dawn of the Dead" also, so there's that.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.999 seconds