October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2702 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
27 Aug 2014 15:00 #186008 by Msample

SuperflyTNT wrote:

Josh Look wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote:

wadenels wrote: Played Mini Car Wars. Not impressed. There's some ideas that could translate to a good game, but in this case that didn't happen. This really feels like a game I would have designed on graph paper in 7th grade, and that ain't a compliment.

boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/68504/outrider

We have the technology.

I'm getting a review copy, I'll let you know how it goes. They are KSing it (shocker) and it looks outstanding. Might even back it if it doesn't suck.

I have the PNP of Outrider. It blows. Granted, I only have what was in the base game, if you can call it that, but I was entirely unimpressed (and I really get into the Mad Max car chase shit). The base game gave me no incentive to buy/print more stuff out for it.

Shit.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm always amazed how under-developed this genre is. I mean, we have Thunder Road, and that's about it. If you don't mind a little more complexity, try Wastelands 3: Total Meltdown, which is a miniatures game at its core, but has vehicle rules. Another GREAT one, and really simple, is Warlords of the Wastelands: www.skankgame.com/Downloads/Warlord2085Game.pdf

As popular as licensing is these days, someone ( Gale Force 9, are you listening?) should just take the Death Race movie franchise and make a game out of it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2014 15:41 #186012 by Josh Look

Msample wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote:

Josh Look wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote:

wadenels wrote: Played Mini Car Wars. Not impressed. There's some ideas that could translate to a good game, but in this case that didn't happen. This really feels like a game I would have designed on graph paper in 7th grade, and that ain't a compliment.

We have the technology.

I'm getting a review copy, I'll let you know how it goes. They are KSing it (shocker) and it looks outstanding. Might even back it if it doesn't suck.

I have the PNP of Outrider. It blows. Granted, I only have what was in the base game, if you can call it that, but I was entirely unimpressed (and I really get into the Mad Max car chase shit). The base game gave me no incentive to buy/print more stuff out for it.

Shit.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm always amazed how under-developed this genre is. I mean, we have Thunder Road, and that's about it. If you don't mind a little more complexity, try Wastelands 3: Total Meltdown, which is a miniatures game at its core, but has vehicle rules. Another GREAT one, and really simple, is Warlords of the Wastelands: www.skankgame.com/Downloads/Warlord2085Game.pdf

As popular as licensing is these days, someone ( Gale Force 9, are you listening?) should just take the Death Race movie franchise and make a game out of it.

There's also that OTHER post-apocalyptic car-chase-heavy movie coming out next year...I'd love to see what GF9 would do with that license.

More
27 Aug 2014 18:27 #186021 by Sagrilarus

Msample wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote:

Josh Look wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote:

We have the technology.

Shit.

You mean license it from the game company that owns it? Death Race 2000 started in the arcade.

S.

More
27 Aug 2014 22:11 - 27 Aug 2014 22:18 #186025 by Disgustipater
Played against the Decimator in a group game of X-Wing for the second time. Last time he was so intent on ramming into my ships, that he got too close to my table edge and exited the battlefield. This time he made the mistake of deploying across from my 2 A-Wings with Proton Rockets. This first turn I managed to plink off his shields from range, then the following turn I got right up in front of him.

Decoyed one of the A-Wings to get PS8 to fire the rockets the same time as the Decimator. With no shields and no evade, the Decimator took two hits and two crits. Both crits were Direct Hits. Further attacks that round dealt several more hits and crits, including another Direct Hit and Blinded Pilot (no attack). 0 Evade is rough to handle. Left with one hit point, he went down hard the following round. 60 points flushed down the drain with little to show for it. I'd like to take command of it next time and see if I can do better.

We took down enough of their ships that they capitulated a few turns later.

We played Coup several times again, once with 9 people (most of them new to the game), where it fell really flat, and another few times with 5. The 5 player session was a bit more interesting than the last few times I played it, but I'm still not a fan.
Last edit: 27 Aug 2014 22:18 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister, lj1983

More
27 Aug 2014 22:24 #186028 by Gary Sax
I haven't seen a rolling rock in a long time.

More
27 Aug 2014 22:46 #186029 by Disgustipater
That was one of the "door beers." A sad collection of random beers in the fridge door that have been there for an indeterminate length of time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
27 Aug 2014 23:22 #186030 by Bull Nakano
Just got back from a weeknight game night where I got a first play of Five Tribes. This is a really weird game for DoW to publish, it's more like a Leo Colivini game than their usual fare. It's pretty simple, but the board state is very complex, which makes it feel heavy. I'm not sure yet how I feel about it, but I enjoyed my first play.

More
28 Aug 2014 07:13 #186037 by Stonecutter

Disgustipater wrote: Played against the Decimator in a group game of X-Wing for the second time. /quote]

How many points are those fleets? Gotta be more than 100...

More
28 Aug 2014 08:26 #186040 by Legomancer
Last night my pal Matt and I cracked into Arctic Scavengers, which I got at Gen Con. It's gotten a lot of love here, so I was eager to get going with it.

We were kind of underwhelmed. It's not bad, but just kind of there. We like Nightfall and Thunderstone as deckbuilders, and I think Star Realms will be a fave, but this one didn't do much.

We didn't use the HQ expansion or any of the other bonus stuff in the box. Is that where it's at? Also, although not much changes for two players, is it that it's not great for two?

More
28 Aug 2014 08:50 - 28 Aug 2014 08:50 #186043 by lj1983

Stonecutter wrote:

Disgustipater wrote: Played against the Decimator in a group game of X-Wing for the second time.

How many points are those fleets? Gotta be more than 100...

I can't say for him, but its designed for 100 point games. that's what my group will be playing it in.
Last edit: 28 Aug 2014 08:50 by lj1983.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.003 seconds