October 09, 2023
2448 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2647 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
23 Oct 2014 14:55 #189187 by Space Ghost
I'm jealous. I'm still waiting on mine to show up. Like you, I'm a huge WHQ fan....the wait is nearly killing me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2014 15:30 #189191 by Legomancer
I wrote up a review of Impulse.

Impulse: It’s Called Impulse For a Reason

The gist is, it's not a 4x game, and it's not a boring thinky exercise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Josh Look, JEM

More
23 Oct 2014 20:50 #189217 by Sagrilarus
SoB = Shadows of Brimstone
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bull Nakano

More
23 Oct 2014 23:32 #189218 by wadenels

Sagrilarus wrote: SoB = Shadows of Brimstone

Not where I come from.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
24 Oct 2014 08:39 - 24 Oct 2014 08:41 #189224 by Sagrilarus

wadenels wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: SoB = Shadows of Brimstone

Not where I come from.

Not where anyone comes from. "DoW" is killing me right now because it's been Days of Wonder to me for the last decade or so. My brain drops that in place without asking and I have to go back and reread the sentence with "Dead of Winter" inserted instead. Can we at least make it DofW so it has its own space? I know you guys are typing on phones so you want to abbreviate.

I'm not a play-everything-new kind of guy so I have to read back through the thread to figure out what games people are talking about. I only know Shadows of Brimstone exists because I read it here. This thread in particular is tough because you have three different games being discussed simultaneously, and the original reference may be three pages back because there's only ten responses to each page.

My most recent plays are SofG, MM:E, FG, CnG (new version) and LW by the way. Thoughts?
Last edit: 24 Oct 2014 08:41 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Ska_baron, wadenels, Attrition, Bull Nakano, charlest

More
24 Oct 2014 09:25 #189226 by charlest
Had 6 at my weekly group on Wednesday which is an abnormally large number for us lately. We started off with the recently released Psycho Raiders. I played as the Flamethrower raider with 3 others, the 2 remaining players took the three teenagers. We made quick work of the Randy and Dawn, but the third one got away after a sneaky game with the player running up the left side of the map, repeatedly hiding and making great use of the once per game abilities. It didn't help that our Van got a flat tire early on and we had to basically abandon it to keep up.

I don't think Psycho Raiders is a great game from the perspective of balance or gamesmanship. It's cruel, it can eliminate you early, and things can swing wildly. However, the atmosphere is at 110% here as it does a great job of simulating its events and hitting you with an engaging and unpredictable story. I believe it comes through on its promise and delivers, but you have to want what it's serving and not try to make it be something it isn't. This isn't as great of a game as Cave Evil but it's worthy of shelf space and it's interesting. I'm glad I have it.

We then moved on to Cash 'n Guns, Coup, and One Night Ultimate Werewolf. It's been a little while since we've played some of these more social games and it was nice to get back to them. The Reformation expansion for Coup made for some interesting decision points in one of our game as we kept flipping people's teams to kind of protect ourselves. It was interesting and better than previous plays with the expansion that I've had.

Cash 'n Guns was the new version and I liked it. Didn't really miss the Bang! Bang! Bang! cards and the new drafting mechanism for loot is great. So much easier and more natural and adds a bit of nuance to what you take. I wish the artwork wasn't worse though.

One Night is a favorite of ours, not much to say about it really. I have hit around 70 games of it though and it's still firing on all cylinders. I was Troublemaker in first game and tricked the Wolves like a boss, giving us the win. I was Insomniac in second game and I think we lost due to some confusion with the Minion. The third and final game I was Drunk and ended up taking the Doppelganger from the middle. We won barely, as the table trusted a Wolf who claimed he was the Troublemaker but I was able to yell loudly enough and with enough authority to get them to vote for a suspicious and quiet player and we ended up winning. Fun times.

Tonight I'm getting in a game of Gumshoe, rare Friday gaming.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller

More
24 Oct 2014 11:52 #189232 by Sagrilarus

charlest wrote: Tonight I'm getting in a game of Gumshoe, rare Friday gaming.

Would very much like a review on that one, either impromptu here or something bigger as a blog or article. I've played Sherlock Holmes, Consulting Detective a few times and really liked the nature of it, but I've heard Gumshoe is the better of the two.

S.

More
24 Oct 2014 12:52 #189237 by Space Ghost
Sag, I think that Gumshoe is the better of the two. I might even venture to say much better.

More
24 Oct 2014 13:14 #189241 by charlest
It is better but it's also more obtuse, aggravating, and awkward. I plan on reviewing it formally Sag when we finish it, which honestly may take 6 months due to infrequently meeting with that group.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
24 Oct 2014 14:13 #189252 by Space Ghost
No argument there. The point of entry is much higher for Gumshoe. And it is just harder to handle on the shit that comes with the game, in terms of logistics and kind of categorizing it all in a mental conceptual space.

To me, it is like Fields of Fire or Magic Realm -- well worth the payoff if you devote the time to learn it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, charlest

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.079 seconds