October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
25 Oct 2014 15:48 #189301 by DukeofChutney
Played Rex. Only the second time i've played. I do still think it is inferior to Dune mostly because the board is so difficult to read and the faction mechanics feel so arbitrary to me when not applied to Dune. In Dune terms (can never remember any of the rex factions) Harkonnen, Guild, Atredes win with all 5. I enjoyed it. I think this is still the best multiplayer fantastical war game. There was a Emperor Bene Gesserit alliance that was actually doing very well but i managed to master mind a series of three attacks for my allies in one turn and we pulled it off (some what to my surprise) and took a win.

I also played High Frontier. Just the basic game to teach two other newbies. I lost by one point. I tried solar sailing around the inner system but all the asteroids i prospected were void of resources. Later i colonized mars but it was too little too late. One of my opponents built a small empire around Jupiter and the other just got mercury.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2014 16:44 #189302 by Brewmiester
Played three rounds of King of Tokyo at the anniversary party at one of my FLGSs. I think I might have come in dead last out of 15 players :( Did get the shrink ray and extra head the last game but that didn't sop me from getting killed.

More
26 Oct 2014 08:55 - 26 Oct 2014 08:55 #189313 by wadenels
Got a chance to play the new Woodland Expansion for Talisman (with all the other stuff too). It's pretty fun. When you enter the Woodlands you one of three face-up Path cards (which is then replaced). The Path will affect you in either a positive or negative way as you travel through the Woodlands, and you lose it if at any point you leave the Woodlands. In true Talisman style there are also cards and things in the Woodlands that can cause you to unwillingly switch your Path card for a randomly drawn new one. Each Path card gives you a bonus if/when you reach the final Woodlands space. Some give you a bonus to Strength or Craft or some other similar thing, but some let you draw a Destiny card. Destiny cards are neat add-ons to your character that can be pretty great. I did several trips through the Woodlands, as did a couple other characters, and the Destiny cards are probably the most fun outcome of going through.

The Woodlands artwork and setting are pretty great. It's sort of a fairy forest type environment with cards that reference fairy tale staples, like the Big Bad Wolf and Red Riding Hood and stuff like that. Woodlands and The City are definitely my favorite big board expansions, as they offer up more gameplay changes and flexibility than slogging through the Highlands or the Dungeon.

Lastly, FFG is now using a smaller box for expansions like the Woodlands. The only thing the box lacks is shelf presence, as it looks scaled down from the other big expansions. It's still packed full of content.
Last edit: 26 Oct 2014 08:55 by wadenels.

More
26 Oct 2014 10:27 - 26 Oct 2014 10:49 #189316 by wkover
KingPut and I gave What Price Glory? a shot. He'd played before. I hadn't.

In agreement with everyone else, I'll state that it's worth $20 and deserves a non-magazine release. It's also the only WWI game that I own, and frankly I'm not sure that I'll need another.

Our 3.5-hour game was tense and fun, and I barely pulled out a win as the Entente on the last turn.

The only issue is that we screwed up the card combos pretty badly, since they're fairly counterintuitive and we didn't look at the card combo glossary as carefully as we should have. (Without the glossary, by the way, no one would be playing the game correctly.) The Machine Gun card also seems overpowered, to the point where it may need to be nerfed.

Given its informal magazine ancestry, there are a few minor cases of "This is what the card actually means, regardless of what it says." The Machine Gun card is a good example, since the MG token stays out until the end of the turn, not just the end of the impulse (as implied by the card). But no big deal, really.

Overall, it was good fun and I look forward to playing again. My motto is to play any wargame at least five times consecutively (different days, not all at once) before moving onto a new one, so I have at least 4 more plays to go.
Last edit: 26 Oct 2014 10:49 by wkover.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, repoman

More
26 Oct 2014 10:56 #189319 by Gary Sax
^That is a great policy wkover

More
26 Oct 2014 11:07 #189321 by repoman
It was F:AT Saturday last night and as is our tradition, we focus on "Horror" themed games. And what better horror them is there than Zombies!?

(I kid! I kid you!)

Alright, so we played what I feel is an under rated title, Richard Launius' Run, Fight, or Die.

A die rolling game where you are trying to avoid being the first person to die in a zombie apocalypse. The zombies are coming at you in waves and certain die rolls will allow you to kill zombies or to flee from them. But other results can get you items to help, put you at locations that might hurt or help, and allow you to get "followers" which might help or really hurt you.

Followers are what win you the game and the VP's they give are in inverse proportion to their usefulness. A guy that helps a lot is worth little while "the constant whiner" who will be a drag upon you and your fight for survival is worth a lot.

You should put this game in the same category as King of Tokyo. Chaotic, random, short, and fun. The rule that the game ends when the first person is killed alleviates the problem in King of Tokyo when there are but two players left and the game can drag as they duke it out and everybody else is bored. Also the cards in Run, Fight, or Die come into play much more frequently. In King of Tokyo it's tough to get many cards in play and I think they are the most fun aspect. So it's nice to make them more accessible.

The artwork, descriptions, and abilities are all done with a sense of whimsey and lightheartedness that convey the idea that you shouldn't take the game or yourself too seriously while playing it.

If you like King of Tokyo but are played out on it or are looking for a second game that serves the same purpose, check this one out.

The following user(s) said Thank You: wkover, charlest

More
26 Oct 2014 12:55 #189327 by Josh Look
Run, Fight, or Die is seriously fun, folks. Yeah, it's a zombie game, but the theme is remarkably well implemented given that it's essentially built on the foundation of Yahtzee. The card play plays a much bigger part and it's really fantastic, and there's more decision making to be made without it taking the game to a place it doesn't belong. I don't own King of Tokyo anymore, but if I did, this would likely replace it. Both games are fillers, but as Repo said, it doesn't devolve into everyone waiting to play something else while two players duke it out for an indefinite amount of time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wkover

More
26 Oct 2014 13:07 #189329 by engineer Al
Yes, better and "cleaner" than KoT in almost every way, but somewhat lacking in the area of player interaction which I think brings down the FUN rating a bit.

More
26 Oct 2014 13:58 #189332 by Calandale
Finished up my coverage of Magic Realm.

As usual, exciting at first, but then it just seems to disappoint.
At least the end got exciting.

thegamebox.gamesontables.com/index.php?topic=1485.0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
26 Oct 2014 16:35 #189335 by wadenels

engineer Al wrote: Yes, better and "cleaner" than KoT in almost every way, but somewhat lacking in the area of player interaction which I think brings down the FUN rating a bit.

That's a big deal for me. Elder Sign gets a pass in our house for being a co-op, but most other dice games make me wonder why I didn't just play Farkle, Yahtzee, or Liar's Dice.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.794 seconds