October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
28 Oct 2014 15:53 #189470 by charlest

Bull Nakano wrote: I got to get one game of Shadow of Brimstone (SoB)

Do you think the game will hold up long term? By hold up, I mean prove interesting and varied enough that it won't fall into repetition or feel samey? That's my main concern as the combat seems simple (like Warhammer Quest) and while the layouts of the Mine are indeed random, it looks like you're kind of doing the same thing over and over and over again. Even the missions don't sound too different.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2014 16:03 #189473 by Michael Barnes
Better question- why buy this game when it costs about as much as WHQ?

More
28 Oct 2014 16:32 #189474 by charlest
Warhammer Quest has many shortcomings honestly (I know that's sacriledge, but I owned it for 10 years along with the Orc expansion).

-Hero Progression is not terribly exciting in WHQ
-Warhammer Quest is far more expensive if you want expansion content and additional heroes equal to what an SoB Outlaw pledge gave you
-Warhammer Quest town events were brutal and killed you half the time
-Dungeon environment variety was very limited (SoB has otherworlds)
-The monsters were static in WHQ in terms of stats/abilities, SoB has elite abilities and different types of the base creatures based on different otherworlds
-WHQ is set in the Old World, I prefer the West
-The Darkstone corruption mechanic and mutations are pretty unique in SoB and add another element
-There looks to be a lot more variety in Events in SoB

I'm a fan of WHQ but I think it had many flaws. It was just ambitious and was put out by a company that could afford to do it at the time. The only thing that makes WHQ really great is the campaign element along with those level 1-10 Monster tables Bull mentions. Those things were exceptional. Endless expansion content (at the time).
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, wkover, evilgit

More
28 Oct 2014 16:58 #189476 by Bull Nakano

Michael Barnes wrote: Better question- why buy this game when it costs about as much as WHQ?

SoB is $65 at online shops and ships with 5 monster-types. WHQ is about $200 and ships with 8 monster types and the monster tables which I keep touting, that is the biggest difference. I'm not sure what the retail for more monsters will be since they're not coming out for a few months or something, but you have $135 to play around with until you get to WHQ base game level.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13

More
28 Oct 2014 17:14 #189477 by Bull Nakano

charlest wrote:

Bull Nakano wrote: I got to get one game of Shadow of Brimstone (SoB)

Do you think the game will hold up long term? By hold up, I mean prove interesting and varied enough that it won't fall into repetition or feel samey? That's my main concern as the combat seems simple (like Warhammer Quest) and while the layouts of the Mine are indeed random, it looks like you're kind of doing the same thing over and over and over again. Even the missions don't sound too different.

I'm a big WHQ fan, so for me, absolutely. I think the character advancement is pretty strong for a board game, and is probably the real draw to continued play. You are definitely doing the same thing as in you're going into a random mine (or world) and smashing a lot of bad guys that are mostly just fodder to soften you up for the objective room. I guess if you've played WHQ, you can sort of gauge how you'll feel about SoB. If you're interested in the changes SoB has made and don't mind missing out on a couple parts of WHQ, you'll like it.

More
28 Oct 2014 17:22 #189478 by Michael Barnes
I thought the "Mine Cart" level with the full game was up to $500 or so. Surely you could buy at least most (or at least the best) of WHQ for that.

More
28 Oct 2014 17:54 #189480 by Bull Nakano

Michael Barnes wrote: I thought the "Mine Cart" level with the full game was up to $500 or so. Surely you could buy at least most (or at least the best) of WHQ for that.

the kickstarter is over and you can't buy the mine cart level. Id bet everything in that is more than everything in whq (which there isn't really much, it's just expensive). If you want to own everything I'd recommend avoiding this game or being ok with spending a ton.

More
28 Oct 2014 20:12 #189484 by charlest

Michael Barnes wrote: I thought the "Mine Cart" level with the full game was up to $500 or so. Surely you could buy at least most (or at least the best) of WHQ for that.

Getting a Mine Cart would have been the equivalent of getting every single one of those monsters on the 10 tables, all of the character expansions, both WHQ boxed expansions. That would cost closer to $1000+ for the WHQ stuff.

Most people didn't go Mine Cart but just went Outlaw for $150 ($175 post KS). Has both base sets and a ton of stretch goal shit (probably the equivalent of most of Warhammer Quest's expansions).
The following user(s) said Thank You: ioticus

More
29 Oct 2014 03:22 #189497 by ioticus
I've had both KS Outlaw boxes for weeks but I don't have the energy or inclination to assemble the minis. If I'd known the work involved I don't think I would've backed it.

More
29 Oct 2014 04:01 #189498 by Bull Nakano

ioticus wrote: I've had both KS Outlaw boxes for weeks but I don't have the energy or inclination to assemble the minis. If I'd known the work involved I don't think I would've backed it.

Yeah, I don't think they were clear enough that these were going to be multi-part on sprue minis. You don't need anything fancy to assemble them, an exacto and super glue works fine, but you do need time and patience, which I understand not everyone has to prep a game. You can probably flip your pledge though, as I understand the outlaw level comes with ~$500 retail worth of product.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.703 seconds