October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2700 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
18 Dec 2014 10:48 #192990 by OldHippy
I played a quick party game called Skulls the other day... just a simple little bluffing game you could make with coasters at a bar. But it was packaged up nicely with really amazing art work... beautiful package and a really fun game. I am totally interested in picking up a copy now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2014 11:46 #192995 by san il defanso

JonJacob wrote: I played a quick party game called Skulls the other day... just a simple little bluffing game you could make with coasters at a bar. But it was packaged up nicely with really amazing art work... beautiful package and a really fun game. I am totally interested in picking up a copy now.

Do you mean Skull & Roses? That's a fun game, though for bluffing games it basically got killed with me after Coup came out.

More
18 Dec 2014 12:07 #192997 by charlest

San Il Defanso wrote:

JonJacob wrote: I played a quick party game called Skulls the other day... just a simple little bluffing game you could make with coasters at a bar. But it was packaged up nicely with really amazing art work... beautiful package and a really fun game. I am totally interested in picking up a copy now.

Do you mean Skull & Roses? That's a fun game, though for bluffing games it basically got killed with me after Coup came out.

It was retitled to Skulls with the newest printing, same game though. I actually like it a bit better than Coup as it doesn't suffer that awkward end game where you know who won and it feels much less random/arbitrary.

More
18 Dec 2014 12:09 #192998 by OldHippy

San Il Defanso wrote:

Hmm, yes it turns out that is what I mean...

Is coup better as a light drinking game? Or just better from a geek perspective? I trust you know what I mean, I'm in the market for something really light to play over beers.

More
18 Dec 2014 12:26 #192999 by JEM
I'd rather play Cockroach Poker than Coup, personally.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
19 Dec 2014 14:20 #193059 by Legomancer
Played Hyperborea last night. Only with 2p, which it's not great for, but we wanted to learn it and try it out. It's a lot of fun, with what seems like a good number of different approach angles. The bag-building thing is fun, and not as obvious as it may seem -- you can easily trip yourself up by approaching it wrong.

It's not quite 4x, not quite DOAM, not quite adventuring, but a solid mix of all those and more. I'm really eager to try it with 3 or 4 players. It can do up to 6, but that may be a bit much.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look

More
20 Dec 2014 09:48 #193089 by Josh Look

Legomancer wrote: Played Hyperborea last night. Only with 2p, which it's not great for, but we wanted to learn it and try it out. It's a lot of fun, with what seems like a good number of different approach angles. The bag-building thing is fun, and not as obvious as it may seem -- you can easily trip yourself up by approaching it wrong.

It's not quite 4x, not quite DOAM, not quite adventuring, but a solid mix of all those and more. I'm really eager to try it with 3 or 4 players. It can do up to 6, but that may be a bit much.

Lego, how did you feel about Eclipse? I'm well aware that Hyperborea plays nothing like it, but I've heard several times that it appeals to the same type of crowd that Eclipse did, and that's a big deterrent.

More
20 Dec 2014 11:31 #193091 by san il defanso

JonJacob wrote:

San Il Defanso wrote:

Hmm, yes it turns out that is what I mean...

Is coup better as a light drinking game? Or just better from a geek perspective? I trust you know what I mean, I'm in the market for something really light to play over beers.

Skulls is what you want in this case. It's less analytical for sure.

Cockroach Poker is such a stupid, awesome game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
20 Dec 2014 11:47 #193092 by silverbowen

Josh Look wrote: Lego, how did you feel about Eclipse? I'm well aware that Hyperborea plays nothing like it, but I've heard several times that it appeals to the same type of crowd that Eclipse did, and that's a big deterrent selling point.

FTFY

Hyperborea is in the pile of presents under the tree at present. Really looking forward to busting it out. Pretty sure it's in the same hybrid-land as Eclipse.

Something that confuses me: lots of folks who don't like Eclipse like Kemet, yet to me they are really similar in feel. Why is that?

More
20 Dec 2014 12:24 #193094 by repoman
It's not the hybrid nature that's the turn off in Eclipse. It was the feeling that every game tends to play out the same. Turtle and build up until last two turns followed by big fight in the middle. Your luck of the draw in tiles as you explored out the back side of your home system determined how well you'd do in the one big fight. The alien races sucked and those last two turns took FOREVER.

To be fair, Kemet made a good impression at first but didn't really have any staying power and I grew tired of it quickly.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.730 seconds