October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
26 Jan 2015 15:36 #196194 by Almalik
Played Memoir '44 on the weekend with my 7 year old. When I first bought it, it never really did anything for me so it sat on the shelf for years, but it really worked well for playing with my son and I'm glad I kept it. There's no initial information overload and a nice level of abstraction, which let him figure out some basic tactics while we went through the first few scenarios. It was interesting to see how he processes information - he thought tanks weren't very impressive until we started playing with them and he saw how far they could move and that their firepower wasn't reduced by range, then his infantry were hunkering down in the villages and getting out of line of sight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Sevej

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2015 16:02 #196201 by Sagrilarus

Almalik wrote: Played Memoir '44

I just sat in on four Memoir boards reenacting a section of the Battle of the Bulge, so Memoir had a good run.

The mentor for the kids strategic gaming group used Memoir's core running gear but put his own spin on command structure, range and damage. Some parts worked, some parts didn't. American artillery tore up German armor at a great rate, far in excess of reality. It's his intention to revise the rules and use the system again to reenact other WWII battles with the system.

Memoir was there, but he had beefed it up a bit. He more or less makes rules as situations come up, and generally the kids are comfortable with it. His own son is the biggest complainer and I introduced a house rule of my own -- you're only allowed to work the referee between turns, not during. This kept his boy from getting rules bent in his own direction, a high school junior that is one of the two oldest kids there, in a field that reaches down to about at 12.

Quite the session.

More
26 Jan 2015 16:58 #196215 by RobertB
Firefly, this time with the Saturday evening gamers (which overlaps my coworker gamers). Once again, four players with basic rules. This is my third try with this, and I think I've gotten the basic hang of it. We did "The King of Londinium" scenario, and I won it, in yet again a close game.

The thoughts of the new players afterwards wwere:

- "Dang, this game is long." 3 1/2 hours again, not counting going over the rules. Like I said last time, I think we can get it to 3 hours for 4 players, but not much more. These guys aren't afraid of long games, and now they know for sure how much time it should take. I'd say 45 minutes/player.

- "Wow, you can get hosed BAD!" One player got double Disgruntled before he could fix it, and lost _all_ of his crew. Somehow right afterwards, he managed to simultaneously get broke. And that was his game - no coming back from that.

- "I like the flavor of this." I know I did. I don't imagine I'm travelling across the 'verse and wear my Browncoat outfit to work, but the cards are worth a chuckle when you remember them from the show.

I'll nag them to play it again in a month or so.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
26 Jan 2015 21:55 #196244 by iguanaDitty

VonTush wrote:

charlest wrote: I 100% agree on the D&DAS games being bland. I'm one of the few around here that doesn't like them.

Add me to the ranks of "doesn't like them".

Pile on!!

Bland is a great way to describe them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeletedUser, Rafael Silva

More
27 Jan 2015 04:45 - 27 Jan 2015 05:31 #196257 by Rafael Silva

iguanaDitty wrote:

VonTush wrote:

charlest wrote: I 100% agree on the D&DAS games being bland. I'm one of the few around here that doesn't like them.

Pile on!!

It wasn't just me, then. I'm writing a blog entry about what D&DAS and Descent 2.0 got wrong that Dragon Quest did better 20 years ago.
Last edit: 27 Jan 2015 05:31 by Rafael Silva. Reason: Dungeon -> Dragon

More
27 Jan 2015 09:53 #196292 by Joebot

iguanaDitty wrote:

VonTush wrote:

Pile on!!

I would agree with you that the components are bland. Plop one of the D&DAS game down next to, say, Mice & Mystics, and D&DAS looks terrible by comparison.

But the game itself still manages to win me over. I've played it a lot (mostly solo running 2 or 3 characters), it almost always delivers a tense, close game that comes down to a final desperate battle against the boss monster.

I've pimped my version out with a bunch of extra monsters from Dungeon Command (I highly recommend doing this, just to get some variety in the Monster deck) and some other painted minis. It helps a lot. More evocative artwork on the cards and tiles would have been nice. I do agree with the "bland" argument there.

More
27 Jan 2015 11:37 #196316 by Josh Look
Mice and Mystics is balls and the writing in it is embarrassing.

More
27 Jan 2015 12:14 #196323 by charlest

Joebot wrote:

iguanaDitty wrote:

VonTush wrote:

Pile on!!

I would agree with you that the components are bland. Plop one of the D&DAS game down next to, say, Mice & Mystics, and D&DAS looks terrible by comparison.

But the game itself still manages to win me over. I've played it a lot (mostly solo running 2 or 3 characters), it almost always delivers a tense, close game that comes down to a final desperate battle against the boss monster.

I've pimped my version out with a bunch of extra monsters from Dungeon Command (I highly recommend doing this, just to get some variety in the Monster deck) and some other painted minis. It helps a lot. More evocative artwork on the cards and tiles would have been nice. I do agree with the "bland" argument there.

It's not just the components, the mechanics are bland as well. Exploration doesn't matter, combat is dead simple without real tension, AI is non-existant. It's like a streamlined version of Shadows of Brimstone without all the exceptional leveling up/town visits/campaign play.

More
30 Jan 2015 14:49 - 30 Jan 2015 15:13 #196528 by Gary Sax
Hey everyone, you know what makes games of Gears of War virtually impossible? Playing 4 times without recognizing that the COGs have an innate defense die just like the monsters do in the corner of their character card.
Last edit: 30 Jan 2015 15:13 by Gary Sax.

More
30 Jan 2015 15:07 #196532 by Green Lantern
Ouch. Gears of War is difficult enough without a defense penalty like that. Don't forget grab cover first!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.843 seconds