Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 25 Feb 2015 07:35 #198242

Maybe someday. I used to be quite interested to ASL. I sat along a guy who was being taught by another, just because I couldn't commit to the session. I watched for 2 hours or so, and decided it wasn't for me. Playing BoB and reading Jim Krohn's notes completely obliterated my desire to play ASL.

I like BoB's approach with hard limits instead of probability-based restrictions. I also like that if it's Call-of-Duty-ish, it's not in the game. Of course, again, this means less Yays and Hoorays. I also find it to be too fixed on 4F, I read somewhere that it's more of an American late war tactics, but otherwise it suits my requirements to be a sim.

I also don't understand why you consider ASL being a "fun" game condescending. When I see big ASL maps I see fun. When I see various equipments I see fun. When I see various narrative inducing mechanics (jammed weapon, picking enemy MG) I see fun.
  • Sevej
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 256
Last Edit: 25 Feb 2015 07:40 by Sevej.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 25 Feb 2015 11:17 #198250

Introduced a friend of mine to Mage Knight last night. Went through the learning scenario, which really just scratches the surface. It was fun, although a lot of the monster tokens we ended up with on the board were simply too powerful to ever battle in the short time we had. The good news is that he liked it and is open to trying the full game some time.
  • hotseatgames
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 414

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 25 Feb 2015 12:03 #198253

Sevej wrote:
Maybe someday. I used to be quite interested to ASL. I sat along a guy who was being taught by another, just because I couldn't commit to the session. I watched for 2 hours or so, and decided it wasn't for me. Playing BoB and reading Jim Krohn's notes completely obliterated my desire to play ASL.

I like BoB's approach with hard limits instead of probability-based restrictions. I also like that if it's Call-of-Duty-ish, it's not in the game. Of course, again, this means less Yays and Hoorays. I also find it to be too fixed on 4F, I read somewhere that it's more of an American late war tactics, but otherwise it suits my requirements to be a sim.

I also don't understand why you consider ASL being a "fun" game condescending. When I see big ASL maps I see fun. When I see various equipments I see fun. When I see various narrative inducing mechanics (jammed weapon, picking enemy MG) I see fun.

I'm sure the fun thing is just cultural use of language. Don't worry about it.

I think I would have been put off, watching someone else play, that is why God gave us VASL.
  • ThirstyMan
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 896

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 25 Feb 2015 18:09 #198294

Played my first 'full' game of Mage Wars with my friend today. We had tried out the game in beginner mode and enjoyed it a few weeks ago, so we decided to use the same characters with the full rules. I played the Beastmaster, and my strategy was to lock his mage down and summon a bunch of creatures to beat him into submission. He played the Wizard. I was able to lock him in place with the tangleroot spell, and I summoned the grizzly bear on the space to start hammering on him, along with other monsters. He summoned big creatures of his own like the Hydra, which I was able to kill off to so I could focus on his mage. The pivotal moment occurred when my Grizzly bear attacked his mage, who revealed the Reflect Attack enchantment. At this point my buffed bear was rolling all the dice in the game (9!), so it likely would have murdered itself. However he was also dazed, so I rolled a 6 and his attack counted as a miss, and the reflect attack was wasted! We play a lot of MtG together, using the friendly sealed league system I learned from San Il Defanso, so Mage Wars feels like a bit like a fun extension of that system. Being able to actually move around with your mage and creatures is really neat and doesn't add too much in terms of rules complexity for us. My friend is excited to try out the Warlord and I'm thinking of trying out the Warlock the next time we play.
  • scrumpyjack
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 47
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 25 Feb 2015 18:15 #198295

Chaz wrote:
Was it me, or was that rule book more convoluted than it actually needed to be. Game's pretty simple, but it sure didn't seem like it from the book.

Rulebooks shouldn't be written like crappy procedural programs with "GOTO" statements all over the place. The Death Angel rulebook is definitely guilty of this.
  • Frohike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 30

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 25 Feb 2015 19:48 #198304

ThirstyMan wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

Blah blah blah

S.

Passing equipment between stacks of chits, is something you are not going to have time to do. While you are messing around trying to get your squads in the same place to actually do this. . .

Who said anything about that?
  • Sagrilarus
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1623

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 25 Feb 2015 22:59 #198313

Just finished playing Chaos in the Old World via Vassal with some buddies. I've played it twice before, but it's been a few years, and I hadn't played Tzeentch before. I got my first upgrade, and neglected to pick up the cultist upgrade. Turns out that cost me the game. I dig the game in general, but I kinda hate that all the powers have a mandatory upgrade, and either not realizing it, or trying something else will basically knock you completely out of the running.
  • Chaz
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 56

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 25 Feb 2015 23:38 #198317

Yeah, supposedly that's what Horned Rat fixes...
  • Gary Sax
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 967

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 25 Feb 2015 23:51 #198318

Well, Horned Rat has new upgrades but some of those are mandatory as well. That's the one big flaw in Chaos that certain upgrade paths are required for victory.
  • charlest
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 554

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 26 Feb 2015 04:22 #198329

Sagrilarus wrote:
ThirstyMan wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

Blah blah blah

S.

Passing equipment between stacks of chits, is something you are not going to have time to do. While you are messing around trying to get your squads in the same place to actually do this. . .

Who said anything about that?

I assume this is what you mean by hidden chits and not knowing who holds what or where it is. Appreciate the respect though.
  • ThirstyMan
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 896
Time to create page: 0.984 seconds