What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

04 Jan 2014 00:53 #169081

Re: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

Was able to go to the meeting of a war game group that I haven't been to in a couple of years. Having your meet time at 6:30 Friday night isn't really conducive to attendance.

Anyway, I got to play Andean Abyss with four players. I think it is a very good game and I'm eager to play it again...this time without the one Fucktard who isn't enjoying himself and needs to make you aware of it. "My options are so restrictive...it's my 20th turn so tell me again how I do I move.....I've run out of things I can do...how many more cards until the end of the game...."

And the topper...."if this is the kind of games were going to play they should rename the group to something other than War Game club because this isn't a war game."

Hey dude....fuck you!
A repoman has ALL night EVERY night.
  • repoman
  • D8
  • Cardboard is Forever
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, wadenels, The Prodigal Player
NOW ONLINE
04 Jan 2014 11:38 #169095

Played a bunch of 6 player games of I'm the Boss and I have to say. One of the best games of all time... for us it is what I imagine Cosmic is for other groups. I wasn't sure how well it would go over with my group since I was the only one who had played it and I played it twice in a game store one night. Well the other day we had six of us, drinks (the Leafs just won the Winter Classic) and we needed something light. WIthin two turns the whole table was yelling. Chaos ensued. It was pure joy. Lots and lots of negotiations, lots of back stabbing, always in good fun, zero grudges. This game does it all so smoothly.

Sid Sackson was a genius. I need to get more of his games.
Boardgames suck.
  • JonJacob
  • D10
  • Should read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Gregarius
NOW ONLINE
04 Jan 2014 11:43 #169096

^God, I love that game. I need to bring it out and try it on my group. They just aren't very confrontational...
  • Gary Sax
  • D10
  • Baden's Bitch
04 Jan 2014 16:58 #169108

I just kicked two 7 year olds' asses at Cave Troll. Thanks Secret Satan!

This was my first attempt at the game. It's okay. Not great. But okay, and the kids understood it... they didn't exactly use the best strategy, but that's to be expected.
NOW ONLINE
04 Jan 2014 19:04 #169116

repoman wrote:
I think it is a very good game and I'm eager to play it again...this time without the one Fucktard who isn't enjoying himself and needs to make you aware of it. "My options are so restrictive...it's my 20th turn so tell me again how I do I move.....I've run out of things I can do...how many more cards until the end of the game...."

Hey dude....fuck you!

Let me guess, said fucktard is the lazy bastard who has to have everything taught to him and takes forever to make his move ?
04 Jan 2014 19:18 #169117

started a solo game of Bloody Hell; Operation Goodwood, a hex and counter ww2 from HFD games. Its actually pretty sound but the rule book is a terrible reference and working out the unit designations of some of the counters was a bit of a challenge. The main thing that makes the game of interest is that each unit has a flank and rear that can be exploited, making manoeuvre more important. It also effectively has area control victory conditions so finding gaps is rewarded. The Germans have a ton of artillery and there are king tigers.
NOW ONLINE
04 Jan 2014 20:54 #169120

Finally played Android. A four player, five hour game. Its an amazing game and I'm sad it took me so long to play it. I now can't believe people criticized this game into failure. Everyone enjoyed it and we're planning another play for next month.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Legomancer, ThirstyMan, wice
NOW ONLINE
05 Jan 2014 08:05 #169137

I played a two player game of 1825 Unit 2 which was very fun. After the initial scramble I ended up with two landlocked companies that needed the green tiles to come out to be decent while my friend dumped the first company to fuel his second and keep the green tiles out which was an interesting position to be in.

I was seriously afraid of having lost the game at that point but he made the mistake of not opening a new company and riding his already successful company which allowed me to push the trains all the way from the 3s to the first 5, rusting his 2 trains and turning his profitable company into junk.

Worse than that, thanks to his relaxed approach to stock holding he left me with the priority card which would have allowed me to dump the company I used to push the trains AND get the refreshed first company at the same time, meaning I would have three powerful companies with brand new shiny trains while he got stuck with one new, distant company and a severly hurt one.

Given it was a very dire situation he conceded, but it was very fun.

I hope I can get a third person next time so I can try 1843 because it looks awesome.
05 Jan 2014 09:44 #169139

We've been playing Steam Park over the last couple days at our house and have had fun with it. The aim is to build a theme park attracting the most visitors ie. steam punk robots. Visitors bring in revenues, money earned determines the winner. the production is nice (the stand up 'rides' are a bit of a gimic but more enjoyable visually than just filling flat boards like in Zooloretto). they are the definite selling point.

There is a dice rolling phase which determines which actions you can do per round that is fun, everyone rolls at the same time also to try and clinch 1st, 2nd player. lower down you get penalized.

You have to offset negative points in waste or garbage produced by running your park. nothing Earth-shattering but my five and a half year old gets it. He edged his mum this afternoon by one dollar for the win: 108 > 107. Course, he can't read yet, so we help him with the bonus cards.

In keeping with life, my son built the biggest and most popular park, brought in the most cash and could shrug off the fine of 28 D as the biggest polluter... and still win!
Last Edit: 05 Jan 2014 09:48 by scissors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: San Il Defanso
05 Jan 2014 14:15 #169151

Posted this in the other specific thread... Firefly is great! 3 plays today. Would never play it with more than 3 players, though, I can see it would be agony.
  • Gary Sax
  • D10
  • Baden's Bitch
Time to create page: 0.66 seconds
Text Size