October 09, 2023
2457 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2660 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
21 Jul 2014 14:04 #182630 by wadenels
I didn't find Black Gold very interesting beyond a few plays. Got it out of the budget bin at a FLGS which was good, because I would have been annoyed had I paid MSRP.

I don't get the love for 7 Wonders or King of Tokyo either.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2014 14:34 #182632 by Michael Barnes
Well, I'm not surprised. The problem with that game is that it's a touch too long to hit that family game spot and its constituent parts are too capricious to warrant the length. And it does seem like the kind of game you wouldn't want to play every week. But with those expectations in place, I think there's a lot here that is really a lot of fun. That's waht got me the most about the game, it was just fun to play. And really quite different than other games in its class. It's definitely got a touch of McMulti in there...which has exactly the same kinds of potential issues.

More
21 Jul 2014 14:41 #182633 by Black Barney
I think I figured out what I don't like about 7 WONDERS. There's this tendency in all the games I've picked to try to explain why the winner won. So it's not enough that the losers lost but they then get nailed by the other players for king-making. In the last game I played, I did it intentionally just for fun but I think that's a bad thing that happens after these games. It removes accountability from the winner for actually playing really well, and it rubs it in the face of the losers.

BLECH

Earlier in the day, there was supposed to be a Magic draft at noon. I didn't want to go and play with some people I barely know so I skipped out saying i couldn't go (I never said I'd go anyway). They ended up being 5 which is a crappy number to draft. So when I got to the boardgaming part of the evening, people said, "too bad you didn't show up, it was really fun and would have been better with you since we were only five". So shortly after the 7 Wonders match, soemone asked, "so did you spend the day with you kid?" and I said I just sat around and played Magic on my iPad.

....ouf, this anecdote seemed better when I started typing it. It's actually not that good. I'll have a better one next time. Maybe something about the time I was folding coldcuts and they kept falling into my footbath.

More
21 Jul 2014 16:00 - 21 Jul 2014 16:00 #182637 by repoman
Blah, I found the robot ketchup dispenser more entertaining than your anecdote.

Also, quit the not playing board game shit. Just knock it off. Stop being a dick, round up Mabuse, JJ, and Zavos and come to WBC. No whining about having a family or a job either. Don't wanna here it. Just get on the buckboard or whatever it is you lumberjacks use for transportation up there and get moving.
Last edit: 21 Jul 2014 16:00 by repoman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, Black Barney

More
21 Jul 2014 17:02 #182649 by Black Barney
I'll begin constructing an appropriate transportation device immediately!

I already have 4 wood cubes saved up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

More
21 Jul 2014 18:11 #182654 by wadenels
Played Justice League: Axis of Villains. It's a Target exclusive that is now on clearance for $12.49, so naturally I had high expectations. It's okay-ish. Came prepunched, which is probably worth 49 cents. The components are nice, so I'll give that $6. Came in a box too, so there's a dollar right there. I'll probably keep it around for a few more plays, but I figure Target owes me five bucks. I'm gonna demand they pay me in beef jerky at the service desk or else I'll take my future business to The Walmart.

More
21 Jul 2014 19:29 #182660 by Bull Nakano
I only played one game worth writing about over the weekend, and that was Power Grid The First Sparks. For those that don't know, this game takes the basics of Power Grid and puts them in the time of prehistoric man. So instead of getting money, you get cavebucks in the form of herbs, mammoth pelts, fish, berries, and bear skins. Each of those FIVE currencies have their own values and keeping track of them is tedious. When you expand you pay a set price plus one additional cavebuck per each player in there after you've placed. This makes for some really hard to grasp addition. It's not that it's hard addition, it's that literally nothing is ever "the same" so you need to calculate the cost and then add it to the previous costs. Also every turn 1/3 of your cavebucks rot, I bought a technology that prevented this just so I could ignore that part of the game. So, there's all this added complexity I've mentioned (I haven't even mentioned "virtual mammoths") but the game is not even close to as deep as power grid. In First Sparks it's a simple race to 13 territories. Even the auctions are gone!

This is an awful game, an obvious cash-in on the PG name and FF's general celebrity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DukeofChutney, Gregarius

More
21 Jul 2014 21:09 - 21 Jul 2014 21:10 #182664 by gorm
Had the gang over last night for a quick night of gaming... we started the night with Desparados of Dicetown. Dice chucking game with a bit of screwage as you try to free you gang of outlaws out of jail, while shooting up and bankrupting other players. Great fun and plays in about 30 min. A keeper for our group.

Then, we finally got Pax Porfiana to the table. Holy shit - why have we waited this long to play this game? Great history, a nice dose of economics with screwage (and game with banditos in it is a keeper for me) and while daunting at first, once you get the handle of it, the game flys by. Loved how going into a depression just kills your economics and lost one of my most lucrative banks to "nationalization". I am pretty sure we made some rule mistakes, but some how one of the guys finagled his way to a revolutionary victory. The mark of a great game in my book is one that you think about the next day - which I was doing during boring status/staff meetings today. Definitely a keeper and will be a staple of our game days in the future.

Next week - Thunder Alley!!

Steve G.
Last edit: 21 Jul 2014 21:10 by gorm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister, Msample

More
21 Jul 2014 22:54 #182667 by Dr. Mabuse

gorm wrote:
Then, we finally got Pax Porfiana to the table. Holy shit - why have we waited this long to play this game? Great history, a nice dose of economics with screwage (and game with banditos in it is a keeper for me) and while daunting at first, once you get the handle of it, the game flys by. Loved how going into a depression just kills your economics and lost one of my most lucrative banks to "nationalization". I am pretty sure we made some rule mistakes, but some how one of the guys finagled his way to a revolutionary victory. The mark of a great game in my book is one that you think about the next day - which I was doing during boring status/staff meetings today. Definitely a keeper and will be a staple of our game days in the future.

Welcome to the fold, brother.

More
22 Jul 2014 03:48 #182670 by Hex Sinister

Dr. Mabuse wrote:

gorm wrote:

Welcome to the fold, brother.

I'm on board too. Last week I got lucky on a trade and got Bios Megafauna. Played that a few times and finally decided I needed PP immediately. Unless some stupid shit happens I'll be the proud owner of one of the last two remaining copies. No box or rulebook but I don't give a fuck. Eklund's games have so much good flavor. I even like his shitty font use.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.866 seconds