October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
25 Jul 2014 10:17 #182987 by VonTush

charlest wrote: Also been playing some more Gears of War solo. I've played through all of the regular missions many times, but still had yet to tried Horde mode. So I grabbed two random COGs and gave it a shot. I keep getting cut down in the first wave, need to brush up on my skills.

One of my favorite solo games for a quick diversion. More often than not I'm able to pull off the shelf, setup, play and pack up in 60-90 mins. And in that regard it does a great job of simulating a video game where that's usually about the same thing that happens, I play for about an hour or so and then I'm moving onto something else.

Do you always run multiple COGs? Usually if I'm soloing I just use one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2014 10:22 #182988 by Sagrilarus

charlest wrote: . . . Thunder Alley . . . I'm kind of torn on how much I actually like it after just a single play, will need to digest it some more.

That's exactly where I was. My first run-through gave it an ok, my second I wasn't sure. It wasn't until my third play that I realized what I should expect it to be, and what I should expect to take away from it. It's not your typical racing game.

More
25 Jul 2014 10:25 - 25 Jul 2014 10:28 #182989 by charlest
@VT

Yes, I mirror your thoughts on its ease of play. I hadn't played it in probably a year, but I didn't even need to read the rules. I looked at the little reference card and had to check hand size (I thought it was only 5 but it's 6) but that's it.

I always use two COGs. I don't like having slightly different rules for one COG (not being able to use the follow movement) and I find it very easy to run two as long as I use some sort of token to remember whose turn it is (sometimes I can forget during a long Locust activation).

I'm leaving it setup on my solo table so I can play some more. I need to get into the second or third wave of Horde mode before I will be satisfied. I also still need to try out the POD expansion which has been sitting on my shelf for months.

@Sag
I'm pretty sure I will love it. Things were coming together near the end as we were starting to pump the linking system for it all had.

One thing I realized we did wrong was that we did not allow lateral movement with draft/pursuit movement at the beginning of your turn if you started the activation with a car in front/behind. I think the example in the rulebook screwed me up but I realize the rules say you can move laterally and are not linked until you start to move forward. This would have changed things slightly as it allows for more dickery (leaving a pack and grabbing a hold of another pack).
Last edit: 25 Jul 2014 10:28 by charlest.

More
25 Jul 2014 10:34 #182992 by VonTush
The more I hear and read people's comments about Thunder Road the more I think, and this is likely a gross oversimplification, that it sounds like an amazing card game with the most interesting and intricate scoring track ever.

More
25 Jul 2014 10:55 #182995 by wadenels

charlest wrote: One thing I realized we did wrong was that we did not allow lateral movement with draft/pursuit movement at the beginning of your turn if you started the activation with a car in front/behind. I think the example in the rulebook screwed me up but I realize the rules say you can move laterally and are not linked until you start to move forward. This would have changed things slightly as it allows for more dickery (leaving a pack and grabbing a hold of another pack).

I struggled with that rule too, and I'm still not 100% sure which is the correct way. Are you allowed to move laterally and break the pack with a Draft or Pursuit before you move forward? (I think so.)

Section 6.4.2 seems to contradict the first Example picture in Section 6.4. Since the Example pic says "a Draft Line is established" and Section 6.4 states that the Draft Line is established when the car moves forward, I assume that Example pic is mid-movement. So we played according to 6.4.2, i.e. a car may move laterally during Pursuit or Draft and is not linked until it moves forward.

More
25 Jul 2014 11:08 - 25 Jul 2014 12:03 #182996 by charlest

wadenels wrote:

charlest wrote: One thing I realized we did wrong was that we did not allow lateral movement with draft/pursuit movement at the beginning of your turn if you started the activation with a car in front/behind. I think the example in the rulebook screwed me up but I realize the rules say you can move laterally and are not linked until you start to move forward. This would have changed things slightly as it allows for more dickery (leaving a pack and grabbing a hold of another pack).

I struggled with that rule too, and I'm still not 100% sure which is the correct way. Are you allowed to move laterally and break the pack with a Draft or Pursuit before you move forward? (I think so.)

Section 6.4.2 seems to contradict the first Example picture in Section 6.4. Since the Example pic says "a Draft Line is established" and Section 6.4 states that the Draft Line is established when the car moves forward, I assume that Example pic is mid-movement. So we played according to 6.4.2, i.e. a car may move laterally during Pursuit or Draft and is not linked until it moves forward.

Yes, you can move laterally and break the pack at the beginning with Draft or Pursuit. A link is not checked for/established until you begin moving forward (Lead movement is different as you check at the beginning).

As you point out, that example is what is causing the confusion and why we both didn't completely understand. Horger clarified on BGG though that the example is incorrect.
Last edit: 25 Jul 2014 12:03 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

More
25 Jul 2014 12:00 #183004 by Dr. Mabuse

VonTush wrote:
Do you always run multiple COGs? Usually if I'm soloing I just use one.

I run at least two but lately it's been four.

More
25 Jul 2014 12:02 - 26 Jul 2014 13:58 #183005 by Dr. Mabuse

charlest wrote:
I'm leaving it setup on my solo table so I can play some more. I need to get into the second or third wave of Horde mode before I will be satisfied. I also still need to try out the POD expansion which has been sitting on my shelf for months.

The POD is awesome! General RAAM is a menacing beast.
Last edit: 26 Jul 2014 13:58 by Dr. Mabuse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
27 Jul 2014 10:03 #183097 by Legomancer
Finally got Merchant of Venus played last night. 2 players, an we played the short game. It was long, but I didn't feel it. We had a really great time.

A while back I got the Firefly board game and, after a play, felt, "Why wouldn't I just play MoV or Merchants and Marauders?" I put it in the trade pile. After playing this one last night, I feel even better about that decision. One to hang on to.

That's one more down from the Ultimatum List. All that remains is Wiz-War and Gang of Four, and I'm pretty sure I can get those down before Gen Con.

More
27 Jul 2014 13:35 - 27 Jul 2014 13:39 #183108 by Applejack
Finally got Space Hulk to the table, at a library near where I live at a Meetup group event. I played a woman who had never played before, but as Space Hulk is easy to play, I was able to explain the rules in five minutes. I had set up 'Mission I: Suicide Mission', and suggested she play the Space Marines first, as I thought they had more interesting decisions. I managed to flood the opening room and kill the three generic Terminators (the ones armed with storm bolters and power fists) in one turn. I felt bad, so I went a little easy on her, letting her get close to the mission objective launch control room, giving suggestions on what to do next. Then I made my move. I must have thrown half a dozen genestealers at Sergeant Lorenzo while he was on guard, and he cut them all down! I had no idea he'd be that strong in melee. I tried getting behind Brother Zael (killing him is the genestealers' objective), but he and Lorenzo were able to move up and torch the control room. Chalk one up for the Space Marines.

For the second game, we switched sides. I made good use of my command points and overwatch, and I was able to cover the corridors where the genestealers would come at me. I left one space marine on overwatch in the opening room, back against the wall, aiming down the south corridor. Another I moved up and put on overwatch on the longest corridor, another space marine at his back. Sergeant Lorenzo took the upper parallel corridor with Brother Zael, and I kept Lorenzo on guard. My opponent also made the mistake of throwing four or five genestealers at Lorenzo, which he dealt with handily. Clearing those 4-way junctions was dangerous, but Lorenzo took care if it, long enough for Zael to move up and torch the room. Win for the space marines, and without a single casualty! I knew it could be done, albeit with some good dice rolls and against a genestealer player that could have been more aggressive. The photo is my play as the space marines, after Lorenzo cut down those several genestealers.

Not one battle brother lost!

Also at the event, I played Sushi Go!, a cute little card drafting game that plays in about twenty minutes, which is good because I think 7 Wonders takes too long for what it is. Tied for first in points, but lost the tiebreaker.

Also played two six-player games of The Resistance: Avalon, and won both games as a loyal servant of Arthur. The second game I was Percival, and I was able to figure out which player was Merlin and which was Morgana. We won the 1st quest (of course), but also the 3rd and 5th quests, the ones where you have to choose four to go. In a six player game, that meant all four players had to be loyal. I was the 'king' in both those quests. I had to beg and plead for my allies to vote 'yes' so the quests would go forward with the team I had selected. In the end, they trusted me and I twice flipped four successes. I really think the game works best when there's lots of conversation at the table, and it certainly helps the good guys when they communicate. If you just go through the motions, it isn't the same game.

Finally, played one game of Bang! The Dice Game. I was an outlaw and I made no attempt to hide it as I shot the sheriff my first turn. The outlaws won that game, with me getting the last arrow that caused the sheriff to lose his last life points.

It's nice having a local group I can play with, although I wish I had friends I could invite over for private gaming sessions with games of our choosing.
Last edit: 27 Jul 2014 13:39 by Applejack.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, Erik Twice

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.813 seconds