October 09, 2023
2479 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
20 Aug 2014 11:47 #185476 by Shellhead
The problem with Love Letter is that there just isn't much game there. Every turn, you choose to play one of your two cards. Unless they are the same card. If you have more than one opponent, you may get an additional choice for target of your card. But since you will only rarely know something about a given opponent, the choice is generally arbitrary and non-strategic. It's mildly fun for a few hands, and then boring. The pretty art and design of the AEG edition gives me something to enjoy a bit longer, but by the end of the game, I feel like I have wasted my time. Correction, I have never finished a game of Love Letter, because it already felt like a waste of time after a few hands.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VonTush

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2014 11:51 #185478 by Bull Nakano
I made a thread for y'all (and me) to talk about this and get this thread back on the rails.

fortressat.com/forum/10-ameritrash/18547...d-micro-games#185477
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller, VonTush

More
20 Aug 2014 12:24 - 20 Aug 2014 12:26 #185485 by Gary Sax
That is a badass gaming weekend bfkiller.
Last edit: 20 Aug 2014 12:26 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller

More
20 Aug 2014 12:39 #185490 by iguanaDitty

ldsdbomber wrote: being able to just lay big wodges of tiles down on the board, picking up any and all tiles your played ones "eat", that being based on the colour dominance tiles, the cool bit being that, say theres a pile of white tiles on the board, you do some in game action to flip the dominance tile so now pink eats white for breakfast, then you lay a big pile of pink on that white and you take those white tiles as points. ONly they're worth less now cos you just made them pinks bitches. Keep the possibility to flip dominances on your turn, and lock them at some point, so you could then realise that your opponent might have a stash of orange behind his screen so you lock pink over orange so he cant just wade in and take it

It's been a long time since I played and enjoyed Reef Encounter, but I remember doing everything you describe in your paragraph above. I thought it was neat the way that you had to slowly build up a bunch of tiles in your hand to make a huge move like you describe, while keeping an eye on what your opponents were doing.
That said, I will likely never play it again because it's completely impenetrable. I have no idea how I learned it the first time.

More
20 Aug 2014 12:43 - 20 Aug 2014 12:43 #185491 by Space Ghost
Played more Thunder Alley last night. It was a very dramatic finish; I thought I had it all wrapped up, but my last hand was all draft cards and my opponent cut in front of me -- all I could do was push them over the finish line. I lost 232 - 226 (it was a two player game).

While I'm not big into games "firing" other games, I am pretty sure that I am going to unload Moto Grand Prix now. I can't ever imagine playing this again.
Last edit: 20 Aug 2014 12:43 by Space Ghost.

More
20 Aug 2014 12:56 #185493 by VonTush

Gary Sax wrote: That is a badass gaming weekend bfkiller.

Yeah, I'm lucky if I can get a list like that done over the course of a quarter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, bfkiller

More
20 Aug 2014 13:19 #185498 by charlest

Space Ghost wrote: Played more Thunder Alley last night. It was a very dramatic finish; I thought I had it all wrapped up, but my last hand was all draft cards and my opponent cut in front of me -- all I could do was push them over the finish line. I lost 232 - 226 (it was a two player game).

While I'm not big into games "firing" other games, I am pretty sure that I am going to unload Moto Grand Prix now. I can't ever imagine playing this again.

Just to make sure you're aware (as Wadenels and I were both a bit confused in an earlier thread), but you may move laterally at the beginning of a Draft movement. You only check for linking when moving forward.

So if you're in a line, you can play a Draft movement, move laterally out of the line and then move as if you had played solo movement (assuming you don't link up again).

More
20 Aug 2014 14:45 - 20 Aug 2014 14:50 #185505 by dragonstout

ldsdbomber wrote: yeah but theres gotta be a scale right? You could toss a coin, 2 seconds, easy to rack it up and play over. These 5-10 minute microgames feel more in line with coin tossing to me, but there are a good number of games more in line with the 30 minute thing. Street Soccer is great, and can be reracked for multiple plays. At the same time, what I rail against is the concept that while "waiting for the rest of the gang to show up" you somehow MUST FILL EVERY SINGLE SECOND with some kind of gaming activity. No, fuck that. Play a game on merit, not just for the sake of squeezing some shit in for the sake of it.

I once gamed with someone who, when we were waiting for some people to come (for a Magic draft, I think?), suggested playing "Sevens", which he said he frequently plays in situations like this. I believe the game was: everyone rolls a d20 over and over again simultaneously, first person to get 3 sevens in a row wins. Something like that. Gotta fill that time with SOMEthing that completely prevents conversation!

Your comment also describes how I felt about 7 Wonders, a game which seemed to be praised more for its short length, easy rules, and large player-number accomodation than its quality: "no matter how many people there are, no matter whether they're gamers or not, no matter how little time you have, you'll be able to fill it right up with this box of suggested hand and arm movements!"

Honestly, I feel somewhat similar about Love Letter. Love Letter is more fun than 7 Wonders (at least I'm encouraged to look other players in the eye!), but that's a low bar. Love Letter is just not as fun as everyone makes it out to be. People love repeating "Love Letter is different than other microgames because it's a good design", but I almost never see ANY backup for this.
Last edit: 20 Aug 2014 14:50 by dragonstout.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, bomber

More
20 Aug 2014 16:04 #185518 by Space Ghost

charlest wrote:

Space Ghost wrote: Played more Thunder Alley last night. It was a very dramatic finish; I thought I had it all wrapped up, but my last hand was all draft cards and my opponent cut in front of me -- all I could do was push them over the finish line. I lost 232 - 226 (it was a two player game).

Just to make sure you're aware (as Wadenels and I were both a bit confused in an earlier thread), but you may move laterally at the beginning of a Draft movement. You only check for linking when moving forward.

So if you're in a line, you can play a Draft movement, move laterally out of the line and then move as if you had played solo movement (assuming you don't link up again).

Yeah, I knew that; it was just an unfortunate turn of events. We each had parallel sets of cars on the final corner. With his second to last play, he put his entire line of cars in front of mine with a forward movement card. All I could have done was pick cars out of my line and move them to the side.

More
20 Aug 2014 17:01 #185530 by bomber

dragonstout wrote: Honestly, I feel somewhat similar about Love Letter. Love Letter is more fun than 7 Wonders (at least I'm encouraged to look other players in the eye!), but that's a low bar. Love Letter is just not as fun as everyone makes it out to be. People love repeating "Love Letter is different than other microgames because it's a good design", but I almost never see ANY backup for this.

yeah,
boardgamegeek.com/image/1540923/dond80?size=original

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.999 seconds