October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
26 Jul 2016 09:22 #230848 by SuperflyPete
I worry about delivery. Imagine the postal service's troubles when all the R's in names and addresses are dyslexically written?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2016 11:48 #230868 by Space Ghost

SuperflyTNT wrote: Massive Darkness: Because fuck GW, and their C&D letters..

Are they sending C&D letters related to this?

More
26 Jul 2016 12:02 #230872 by Mr. White
No. They play nice now.
He seems to still be simmering over decisions made by the old regime.

More
26 Jul 2016 17:49 #230900 by drewcula
RE: DreadBall Xtreme and DreadBall Ultimate.

I'm a HARD CORE DreadBall player. Mr. White would categorize my DB obsession as a "life style" game for me. My league of six are not as hard core, but they're close. Everyone is a sports fan, we're fantasy football roster-bators, and we're super competitive against each other.

That said, we only play Ultimate once every season. It's a post season "all star" match with our six teams. As it takes longer than a normal DB game (3x longer), we make it a pot luck weekend event, starting at 11am. We're drunk by 11:30, and the game wraps around 4. We dig it, and we'll keep playing it. But it is an EVENT. No one goes to league night and suggests, "Hey! Why don't we play Ultimate tonight?"

We own two copies of DreadBall Xtreme and the "Xpansion," but we haven't tapped it. I've played it a few times, it's neat and there's a lot to do - we just haven't had the time to fully explore it. We're having too much fun with DreadBall "Original." Consider Xtreme to be the Blood Bowl equivalency of Dungeon Bowl. Kind of. Like DBO, Xtreme definitely rewards league play. The big shift is this: instead of building up individual players, you develop your sponsor. Your sponsor places bets, makes threats, and buys new players dependent on personality types/tropes. You buy a lot of players because they die. A lot.

As far as this new DreadBall Kickstater - it has warts. However, it's chugging along and I'm confident the end product will be pretty dope. The neat thing about this "DB2" is that both DreadBall and Ultimate will be in the same box. The value for the buy-in is getting better and better (albeit slowly). I'd suggest keeping a sharp eye on this one.

I AM TOTALLY BIASED.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vegasrobb, birdman37

More
26 Jul 2016 21:15 #230912 by SuperflyPete

Mr. White wrote: No. They play nice now.
He seems to still be simmering over decisions made by the old regime.

There was a DAKKADAKKA post of them doing it as late as January of this year.

But yes, I am still of the mind that any company that aggressively acts as a hostile party to its fans is not worthy of my money.

More
28 Jul 2016 12:56 - 28 Jul 2016 12:56 #231009 by SebastianBludd
Today I finally caved and backed the System Shock remake with 2 hours left. Ironically, I learned about the remake while I was about 3/4 of the way through a SS1 playthrough (SS Portable Edition with mouselook, FYI) and the original still holds up. I can't wait to see how the aesthetics are reimagined with today's hardware and I'm confident in the ability of the modding community to change the crappy parts if they screw it up.
Last edit: 28 Jul 2016 12:56 by SebastianBludd.

More
28 Jul 2016 14:29 #231026 by Space Ghost
OK - Dreadball 2nd Edition........

I was checking out the kickstarter (I'm drawn to football like a duck to water) again and see that you can now add optional teams at $25/team. Do you Dreadball players feel like this is good value? I also saw you could get all of the teams for $850 -- but there seems to be a shitload of teams.

As it turns out, I just picked up a consulting job for a small law firm in Iowa that would pay for a nice Dreadball pledge with several teams added on (probably not all, but enough that I could supply all the teams for a league that would be made up of family/friends), so now I am considering it more seriously. What are the essentials they are offering?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
28 Jul 2016 19:49 - 28 Jul 2016 20:23 #231047 by Mr. White
If you're anything like me, I'd recommend not buying all the teams at once. It'll be an overwhelming mountain of plastic to assemble/or paint and the likely result will be you selling it all off.

DB2 looks to (hopefully) contain at least three teams. The balance of all the previous teams is supposed to be addressed in 2e, so I can't recommend one over the other based on1e experiences. Perhaps choose some that will be easy to paint or you enjoy the aesthetic of. I don't know how many you expect in your league, but 8-10 seems like a good number of teams to give you some variety. I can speak a little more to specific playstyles if you have questions, but obviously the human (corporation) and orcs (orx) are going to be the basic playing teams.

The teams themselves are priced at about the current retail price, _but_ they will contain a captain figure which current teams do not, so this price is going to end up being a better deal.

You'll want the club pack add-on which is three more boards and all the fixins you need, so, with the base set, you'll wind up with 4 playable tables = 8 players. That combo is a great deal.

I just posted some few team pictures in the 'what minis are you painting' thread. It's ok to look.
Last edit: 28 Jul 2016 20:23 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

More
28 Jul 2016 20:03 #231051 by drewcula
Space Ghost!
I share similar thoughts to Mr. White.
League pack is a must for your proposal. Good value too.
If you have particular play styles, I'm happy to offer suggestions.
The $25 team + captain is pretty darn good. Especially when you consider that Mantic products are not always the easiest to find on this side of the pond.

If things can pick up in the next week, that Striker pledge will develop into a four team bundle. Robots, Space Cats, Sumo Lizards, and some sort of Cyborg team are drafted and ready to drop (with mo' money).

More
01 Aug 2016 04:29 - 01 Aug 2016 04:33 #231183 by Wetworks
I'm actually tempted by The Walking Dead: No Sanctuary kickstarter. It started out as a mess but cleaned up nicely at the end. I usually ignore all Cryptozoic games but it's being designed by the guys who did Descent 2.0 and Warhammer Quest the Adventure Card Game. Rahdo and Undead Viking also gave positive reviews for it.

File Attachment:

There's enough kickstarter exclusives that you could probably flip it for more than you payed if you didn't like the game.
Last edit: 01 Aug 2016 04:33 by Wetworks.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.485 seconds