October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
10 Sep 2015 17:11 #210424 by SuperflyPete
I looked at it and thought "I already can get Claustrophobia" and this is essentially the same setting and theme.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2015 17:11 #210425 by Mr. White
Wait... the game is called '7 sins' but the base game only comes with two??

The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, Black Barney, Ancient_of_MuMu, hotseatgames, Green Lantern, Frohike

More
10 Sep 2015 18:54 #210433 by quozl
The kickstarter for the Hawk The Slayer sequel doesn't look like it's going to make it.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/723609774/hawk-the-hunter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
10 Sep 2015 22:02 - 10 Sep 2015 22:07 #210437 by Sagrilarus

quozl wrote: The kickstarter for the Hawk The Slayer sequel doesn't look like it's going to make it.

They have 4.5 million, looking for a $500,000 donation to complete a 5 million dollar budget. Investors will split any profits, backers will get t-shirts. In fact, as best I can tell backer money counts as revenue so the investors get double bang out of every "donation". They're indemnifying their risk with the Kickstarter.

What remains is to size it right so that it succeds, because if it doesn't they can't bill, i.e., can't book the revenue. Interesting game right there.

Huh.
Last edit: 10 Sep 2015 22:07 by Sagrilarus.

More
11 Sep 2015 08:07 - 11 Sep 2015 08:12 #210450 by Mr. White

quozl wrote: The kickstarter for the Hawk The Slayer sequel doesn't look like it's going to make it.

Hawk the Slayer is still, hands-down, my favorite fantasy film. That said, I'm not so sure about this. How will Voltan be able to chew up all the scenes unless it's Jack Palance under the helmet? A new Crow actor? Will he be able to deliver lines in the same monotone, robotic manner? Skeptical about this. Still, if it looks close, I'll throw a few dollars at it.

Here's a little article about HtS. Not sure cgi is going to serve this series well. In fact I seriously doubt it.
www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jul/06/haw...-marcel-jack-palance

Does Simon Pegg know about this KS event? He's a big fan of the film. As are The Darkness. Are they aware? In fact, here's some positive Hawk the Slayer...-ness... The lyrics are inspired by Crow from Hawk the Slayer.

Crow, Elf: We have sat waiting like this many times before. Sometimes I tire... of the fighting and killing. At night, I can hear the call of my race. They wait for me. When I join them, we will be forgotten.

"Last Of Our Kind"
We have sat like this just waiting for their arrows to blacken the skies
Many times before and we will again... God willing
I am honoured to have served alongside men who inspire defiance
Sometimes I tired from the fighting and the killing

We are survivors
The ones left behind
The last of our legacy
The last of our kind

Children
We are the last of our kind
Children

When the arrows fall like rain
We'll survive and rise again

All the jackals and the undead just can't wait to wipe the last of us out
Once there were others like us then there were none
Late at night whilst the world is sleeping I can hear the call of my kin
They wait for me and when I join them we will be forgotten

We are survivors
The ones left behind
The last of our legacy
The last of our kind

Children
Children

Children
Children

Last edit: 11 Sep 2015 08:12 by Mr. White.

More
11 Sep 2015 14:41 #210495 by Sagrilarus
Dammit. I missed getting on board with the Magna Carta playing cards by ONE FRIKKIN' DAY.

Hate Kickstarter.

More
14 Sep 2015 15:07 #210651 by VonTush

charlest wrote: Yes, and from what I understand the 7 scenarios in the base game map to just the two included Sins.

Pretty sure that is not the case and early on, I don't remember the exact quote, but something was mentioned about no future scenarios are planned. Any sin can be present in any scenario.

I just watched the gameplay video and have some mixed emotions now though. Not enough to cancel my EB Pledge though.

What I found interesting watching the video was that The One side of the All vs One equation doesn't seem to play out like the other games that are All vs One. The feeling I ended the video with was that the One took a role with more in common to the AI Co-Op games like Pandemic, Gears of War or Eldritch Horror, except it removes the "Artificial" and just makes that role intelligent.

The One interrupts the flow of the game and does his turn in reaction to a player's turn. And the monsters that can activate needed to have been interacted with during the player's turn. So it isn't all the monsters activating every game round. Then every game round The Others player gets to drop some tokens on the board that further corrupts spaces, spread fire and other problematic things for The All players. So like dropping a virus in Pandemic or fire in Flash Point but rather than chance determining if it is good or bad for the players The One gets to decide that it is bad and then decide where's worst.

From the side of The All players, I think this sounds pretty damn awesome. It's going to have the pressure of a Co-op game but rather than having swings in difficulty due to chance, it'll always be intelligent and oppressive. From The One side though, it doesn't seem too exciting of a role to play, and kind of uninspiring. Regardless of the scenarios it seems like the objectives are always to corrupt or kill all the characters.

And that's why I'm a bit torn. I can count on one hand the times I've played the All role usually falling into the One role and with The Others, that role doesn't excite me as much as other games in that player setup. Still though...I'm still backing, and will hopefully get it played enough where I can talk someone else into The Others role for a few games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
14 Sep 2015 21:13 #210682 by iguanaDitty
Just got my copy of Space Cadets: Away Missions and it looks fantastic. The extra scenario/illustration book has some great words from Al and Dan and the rest of the team which I really enjoyed and the alien and crew member bios are awesome.

The brain in the jars are strangely adorable since they are so small.

Super psyched. I'm not sure if I'm so excited because I'm excited for the game (which I am) or because I'm excited for Dan and Al and Shellie (which I also am).
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

More
17 Sep 2015 22:42 #210868 by Gary Sax
I got Space Cadets and Catacombs on the same day. I opened and prepped both of them, they both are quality kickstarters from a components perspective. We'll see once I get them played how the guts are.

More
18 Sep 2015 00:33 #210873 by Space Ghost
I'm still waiting on Space Cadets.

Did get an email from Cryptozoic that Ghostbusters is on its way to the US. Looks like they are going to meet their Halloween deadline. I have to say that they are very good at running Kickstarter and not over promising.

More
18 Sep 2015 01:26 #210875 by SebastianBludd

Space Ghost wrote: Did get an email from Cryptozoic that Ghostbusters is on its way to the US. Looks like they are going to meet their Halloween deadline. I have to say that they are very good at running Kickstarter and not over promising.

I was surprised and impressed that they didn't allow backers to increase their pledge amounts or add additional pledges after the campaign ended, all so they could meet their delivery deadline. Standard procedure with a board game KS is to allow people to increase their pledge after the campaign and deliver when they can. Not many (any?) lock in pledges and I'm just glad I'd included in my pledge the extra $10 for the zombie cab driver.

I got my copy of SC:AM today and spent tonight re-reading the rules and punching and sorting the bits. After taking entirely too long each game determining which hero character is which while playing games like Level 7: Omega Protocol or Descent 2nd Edition, it was refreshing to see that the game comes with colored bases so you can tell the Rocketeers apart at a glance; and they also did a good job differentiating the aliens through the use of only a few colors. I also like how you can perform so many different kinds of actions in the game, but some of them are granted by specific pieces of gear such that you're not overwhelmed by a dozen choices. I can't wait to set it up and play it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, engineer Al

More
18 Sep 2015 03:14 #210876 by Frohike
Every day, I check my doorstep for Away Missions and every day I am disappoint.

Oh, did anyone else here mention Gloom of Kilforth? If there's ever a campaign that actually deserves some pledges, that's one. Fantastic design idea, no exclusive bullshit, and needs support. Almost, but not quite funded at 82% currently. I'm really interested to play this one next year.

More
18 Sep 2015 10:23 - 18 Sep 2015 11:06 #210903 by hotseatgames
I'm considering this one: Trove: The Crystal Caverns. - www.kickstarter.com/projects/2074786394/...al-caverns?ref=users

A dungeon crawl for up to 4 players but each is a different "faction" with its own goals. Knight, Dragon, Goblins, and the Cave itself. Seems very interesting, and it's only $45 thanks to it not having minis.

edit- it's up to 5 players now thanks to a stretch goal unlocking the Thief.
Last edit: 18 Sep 2015 11:06 by hotseatgames.

More
18 Sep 2015 12:07 #210915 by Frohike

hotseatgames wrote: I'm considering this one: Trove: The Crystal Caverns. - www.kickstarter.com/projects/2074786394/...al-caverns?ref=users

A dungeon crawl for up to 4 players but each is a different "faction" with its own goals. Knight, Dragon, Goblins, and the Cave itself. Seems very interesting, and it's only $45 thanks to it not having minis.

edit- it's up to 5 players now thanks to a stretch goal unlocking the Thief.

A major game addition as a stretch goal is sort of a red flag for me. If it's really that malleable of a design, great, but it usually indicates that the design isn't really quite done and that these additions also won't see a ton of playtesting, assuming the core was sufficiently tested. This one is going to hit retail and it's getting funded for sure so I backed out.

More
18 Sep 2015 13:01 #210922 by hotseatgames
I kept thinking about it, and kind of came to the conclusion that I think I'd rather spend $60 on Metal Gear Solid V than $45 on a game I don't get for months and probably won't play much.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.393 seconds