October 09, 2023
2292 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
18 Sep 2015 13:03 #210923 by iguanaDitty

Frohike wrote:

hotseatgames wrote: I'm considering this one: Trove: The Crystal Caverns. - www.kickstarter.com/projects/2074786394/...al-caverns?ref=users

A dungeon crawl for up to 4 players but each is a different "faction" with its own goals. Knight, Dragon, Goblins, and the Cave itself. Seems very interesting, and it's only $45 thanks to it not having minis.

edit- it's up to 5 players now thanks to a stretch goal unlocking the Thief.

A major game addition as a stretch goal is sort of a red flag for me. If it's really that malleable of a design, great, but it usually indicates that the design isn't really quite done and that these additions also won't see a ton of playtesting, assuming the core was sufficiently tested. This one is going to hit retail and it's getting funded for sure so I backed out.

I also did not back due to balance concerns and unfinished design concerns. Cool ideas but going to be difficult to pull off.

Instead I backed Gloom of Kilfourth and Gloomhaven, bringing my personal Gloom rating to 100%.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2015 13:09 #210925 by Sagrilarus

iguanaDitty wrote: Instead I backed Gloom of Kilfourth and Gloomhaven, bringing my personal Gloom rating to 100%.

I watched the video until he talked about the Boss monster, and I was done. Another one? I think there are enough games with Boss Monsters at the end that we should declare a genre -- BM games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

More
18 Sep 2015 13:59 #210930 by charlest
Except Boss Monster wouldn't fit into the Boss Monster game category.

More
18 Sep 2015 14:27 #210937 by Legomancer

charlest wrote: Except Boss Monster wouldn't fit into the Boss Monster game category.

it would still count as BM
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, wkover

More
18 Sep 2015 16:57 #210951 by mads b.
I too have been waiting for Away Missions until I finally remembered to check the mailbox we don't use. And yes, there was a note from the post office saying they stopped by last thursday. Got the game yesterday and it looks amazing. Haven't had the time to play it yet, but since it was because I watched The Empire Strikes Back with the 6-year-old instead, that is okay.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, engineer Al

More
22 Sep 2015 16:27 #211142 by Space Ghost
Kingdom Death just arrived after God knows how long. In any event, it is an absurd amount of content. Hands down the best miniatures I have ever seen in a game. The manual is along the lines of an RPG -- some 200+ pages long, so it will take a bit to get through it all (although, it is broken down so you can start playing immediately).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
22 Sep 2015 16:59 #211145 by charlest
Kingdom Death has the makeup to be Barnes' nemesis. $400 MSRP now for the base game. Minis with no instructions for assembly and tons of parts. Millions of dollars on Kickstarter.

More
22 Sep 2015 17:43 #211153 by Space Ghost
Honestly, I had forgotten about it until it showed up today. $400 MSRP is ridiculous (but the minis are absurd, the cards are nice, everything about it is top notch). I ordered some expansion stuff, but I don't know the expected arrival of that. The game itself, so far, looks pretty good and at least different enough to be interesting.

I suppose I can always ebay it if I don't like it.

More
30 Sep 2015 23:57 #211669 by Cranberries
For some reason I come to F:AT when I am feeling melancholy.

A friend with a rare blood disease emailed me about Gloomhaven, and included this line:

"I am not going to back this one, in part because, to be honest, I am trying not to back more expensive games that I may not be around to play. Sorry to make that sound bad. However, I thought some of you might find this quite interesting and want to get involved. If you do, bring it to game night — Hopefully I’ll still be playing with you. "

That really puts things in perspective. He's a great guy, and not just because he might die in the next few years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, Frohike, Egg Shen, charlest

More
01 Oct 2015 08:04 #211676 by hotseatgames
When I went all-in on Deadzone in Mantic's recent kickstarter, I chose the option to get the original Deadzone set shipped early, as well as one of the old faction starters (Rebs). The other day I received the early shipment, and inside was a letter from Mantic explaining that certain parts were "low in stock" so they took the liberty to swap them out with "rare" miniatures / mercenary units. In at least one significant case, they left out an entire deck of cards. For myself and many others, it was the AI deck that runs the plague zombies in the co-op Contagion expansion. I was very interested in this part of the game. The letter stated that they would be providing access to a PDF of the cards so I could print my own.

This doesn't sit well with me at all, and a lot of people agree. The letter gives an email address if you have issues with what they did, so I wrote to it 2 days ago. Still no response of course. They are likely too busy dealing with their current KS project.

Hopefully they rectify the situation in a better manner than simply telling me to print my own cards while they keep my money. I'd be surprised if I went in on another Mantic KS.

More
01 Oct 2015 09:47 #211682 by Egg Shen
I backed Argo on Kickstarter recently . It's a game designed by Bruno Faidutti and Serge Laget. This game was originally supposed to be published by FFG back in 2005 or something. The game is about aliens that have invaded a spacestation and people have to get their group of peeps off to win. Sort of like Survive from what I can tell. It also gives me a bit of a Theseus vibe for some reason. The game uses cardboard standees, has no kickstarter exclusive content and no stretch goals at the moment. The artwork is kind of eh, but I'm backing it based on the strength of the designers.

Sadly, this game has a snowball's chance in hell of getting funded. The publisher has stated multiple times that he won't do minis unless the game makes a shitload of money and the bare bones campaign is doomed to fail. Also, if the game doesn't fund it won't get published. This isn't a preorder with KS exclusives...it's an all or nothing, "give us some money or the game doesn't get made" KS. A few years ago this might have worked, but in today's KS world I can't see this succeeding. Still people here might be interested so check it out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

More
01 Oct 2015 10:29 #211691 by Chaz
Dammit, Argo is being run in exactly the way I've been wanting Kickstarter board games to be run for years now. I don't know that I'm super interested in the game itself, and lord knows I've got way more games than I need already, but I'm really tempted to back this thing just on principle.

More
01 Oct 2015 11:14 #211694 by Gary Sax

Egg Shen wrote: Sadly, this game has a snowball's chance in hell of getting funded. The publisher has stated multiple times that he won't do minis unless the game makes a shitload of money and the bare bones campaign is doomed to fail. Also, if the game doesn't fund it won't get published. This isn't a preorder with KS exclusives...it's an all or nothing, "give us some money or the game doesn't get made" KS. A few years ago this might have worked, but in today's KS world I can't see this succeeding. Still people here might be interested so check it out.

That IS a real bummer.

More
01 Oct 2015 11:50 #211699 by Sagrilarus

Chaz wrote: Dammit, Argo is being run in exactly the way I've been wanting Kickstarter board games to be run for years now.

It's the way that fails, and to some extent for good reason. If you look at Space Cadets: Away Missions it started much the same way, back this game at a discounted price with no extras and they floundered. Everyone let them know that if there wasn't going to be exclusives they weren't going to back.

That's Kickstarter's way. Why a Laget/Faidutti design isn't just doing a simple publish is anybody's guess. They can make book on their name alone, and I'd wager many of their dependable customers don't even look at Kickstarter. I had no clue this thing existed.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
01 Oct 2015 13:31 #211721 by Legomancer
I echo what people say about it sounding like Argo is a KS I could get behind. No bullshit, just "if you back it, this game will get made". I don't need a fucking platinum pyramid first player marker or plastic toys or unplaytested junk that no one will play with anyway, just give me the damn game. But more is more.

Still, I also agree that if a Faidutti/Leget can't find a publisher without KS, it's probably a bum game anyway.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.650 seconds