October 09, 2023
2493 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2696 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
18 May 2016 02:37 #227648 by Frohike
This War of Mine seems promising. It seems like a re-working of Robinson Crusoe with thematic material from the This War of Mine video game. I think it might just work.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2016 08:17 - 18 May 2016 08:48 #227654 by Mr. White
This looks interesting. A quicker alternative to 3d printing? Be good for creating tabletop terrain?

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1094489804/...r-that-makes-beautif
Last edit: 18 May 2016 08:48 by Mr. White.

More
18 May 2016 21:39 #227749 by Da Bid Dabid
I use vacuforms all the time for making molds for temporary crowns. I don't think it is the best or most viable option for tabletop terrain... but hey I guess I could do some experiments.

More
18 May 2016 23:41 #227758 by Sevej
Amera Plastic Mouldings does business on vacformed terrain.

www.amera.co.uk/product.php?range=f

More
23 May 2016 15:41 - 23 May 2016 15:46 #227973 by Ska_baron
Anyone checked out Campaign Trail? www.kickstarter.com/projects/cosmicwombatgames/campaign-trail-1

Just funded and has 10 days to go.

Apparently it's a reboot after a failed KS before, but the game looks pretty damn good as long as you don't play with the AP prone. At $50 entry, my usually unitchy KS trigger finger is twitching due to the timeliness of the subject matter but seeing the announced delivery date of Nov. 2016, I think I made my will check and can wait until it hits the street.

Game play looks solid and I like the 2-6 player flexibility even though it's pretty unrealistic to have an equal third party in the US. But then again, I play plenty of games with space aliens, zombies and magic - so bring on my successful US Independent candidacy!

Other pluses for me:
-generalized candidates lets you role play better
-seemingly cool score tracking of the EC votes with each state as a ruler with length matching its EC votes
-while there's a regular and deluxe (exclusive) version, I honestly like cubes better than meeples so no FOMO here.
-no "put yourself into the game" levels of funding
-seems like they learned a bit from failing before so staying hopeful it does truly make it to retail
Last edit: 23 May 2016 15:46 by Ska_baron. Reason: deets
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
23 May 2016 17:02 #227976 by jeb
Dang, that looks really good, Ska_Baron. Too good. I am averting mine eyes. I really liked my 1960: THE MAKING OF THE PRESIDENT plays, but it didn't grab anyone else around me like it grabbed me. So it toaded for the longest time before trading away. I worry this would end up the same.

More
24 May 2016 10:49 #228011 by SuperflyPete

Ska_baron wrote: Anyone checked out Campaign Trail? www.kickstarter.com/projects/cosmicwombatgames/campaign-trail-1

Just funded and has 10 days to go.

Apparently it's a reboot after a failed KS before, but the game looks pretty damn good as long as you don't play with the AP prone. At $50 entry, my usually unitchy KS trigger finger is twitching due to the timeliness of the subject matter but seeing the announced delivery date of Nov. 2016, I think I made my will check and can wait until it hits the street.

Game play looks solid and I like the 2-6 player flexibility even though it's pretty unrealistic to have an equal third party in the US. But then again, I play plenty of games with space aliens, zombies and magic - so bring on my successful US Independent candidacy!

Other pluses for me:
-generalized candidates lets you role play better
-seemingly cool score tracking of the EC votes with each state as a ruler with length matching its EC votes
-while there's a regular and deluxe (exclusive) version, I honestly like cubes better than meeples so no FOMO here.
-no "put yourself into the game" levels of funding
-seems like they learned a bit from failing before so staying hopeful it does truly make it to retail

If you're looking for a political-set game, I highly recommend $uper Pac$. Quick, really, really fun card game, and this from a guy who doesn't generally like card games that much.

More
24 May 2016 10:52 #228013 by SuperflyPete

Sevej wrote: Amera Plastic Mouldings does business on vacformed terrain.

Sevej, don't know if you like plastic molded stuff, but I wanted to share a "pro-tip" that you probably already know. I have some of this and like it a lot, but it's so flimsy and shitty that I decided to backfill it. I used Great Stuff (TM) expanding foam. Basically, I just seal any holes on the top side with masking tape, then I use a big piece of cardboard to close the big open side, taping it WELL with masking tape.

Then I cut a little hole in the cardboard and shoot in the expanding foam. It completely backfills the thing with tightly-compressed foam, and the thing becomes heaver and indestructible for like 5$ and 10 minutes' time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
24 May 2016 11:42 #228018 by Ska_baron
jeb - I know the feeling all too well. Luckily I think I could get this one played, just wish it was out sooner to maximize the drama before the election.

Superfly - I'll check it out, but one of the things I like most about the election process is the map! #cartographyiscool

More
24 May 2016 20:51 #228079 by Sevej

SuperflyTNT wrote:

Sevej wrote: Amera Plastic Mouldings does business on vacformed terrain.

Sevej, don't know if you like plastic molded stuff, but I wanted to share a "pro-tip" that you probably already know. I have some of this and like it a lot, but it's so flimsy and shitty that I decided to backfill it. I used Great Stuff (TM) expanding foam. Basically, I just seal any holes on the top side with masking tape, then I use a big piece of cardboard to close the big open side, taping it WELL with masking tape.

Then I cut a little hole in the cardboard and shoot in the expanding foam. It completely backfills the thing with tightly-compressed foam, and the thing becomes heaver and indestructible for like 5$ and 10 minutes' time.

Thanks Pete. I've read it somewhere, but nice to have firsthand confirmation. I haven't bought anything yet, but had thought about it in the past. I really like the bigger pieces with fort, but the shipping (and duty) is murder.

More
30 May 2016 00:20 - 30 May 2016 00:21 #228369 by Not Sure
So Princes of the Renaissance is up for reprint, which I'm pondering biting on.

Kickstarter

Nothing particularly fancy, but it's Mercury so I'm not too worried about Kickstarter bullshit. (I got the email because I backed Guns of Gettysburg, which may be the only Kickstarter ever delivered early.)

I know it was pretty well-regarded while it was hard to find, but does it still stand up?
Last edit: 30 May 2016 00:21 by Not Sure.

More
30 May 2016 18:19 #228385 by wkover

Not Sure wrote: So Princes of the Renaissance is up for reprint, which I'm pondering biting on. I know it was pretty well-regarded while it was hard to find, but does it still stand up?

It's interesting and mean. But there are a LOT of auctions, so if you don't like those you might stay away.

More
31 May 2016 13:18 #228403 by ChristopherMD
Thanks to all the accolades it gets here, I'm in on the Xia expansion (w/ base game for me) Kickstarter. I blame all of you if it flops.

More
31 May 2016 13:42 #228404 by Chapel

Not Sure wrote: So Princes of the Renaissance is up for reprint, which I'm pondering biting on.

Kickstarter
?

It's pretty "euro-y" with lots of auctions, but on the flip side it's has lots of brutal negotiation. I always liked it.

More
31 May 2016 13:48 #228407 by Chapel

Mad Dog wrote: Thanks to all the accolades it gets here, I'm in on the Xia expansion (w/ base game for me) Kickstarter. I blame all of you if it flops.

Damn You! *pledged*

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.349 seconds