October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
14 Oct 2016 13:38 #236193 by JEM
It looks good, but so did that Mental Asylum one. I don't know if that one is even a thing yet, and I see Nov 17 as the estimate and that says nope.

I'll buy it on MM/CSI clearance for $24 in 2019.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2016 13:51 #236199 by R.P.Kraul

JEM wrote: It looks good, but so did that Mental Asylum one. I don't know if that one is even a thing yet, and I see Nov 17 as the estimate and that says nope.

I'll buy it on MM/CSI clearance for $24 in 2019.

You could be right. This is Diemension's first game, so it's a risk. I'm feeling optimistic about this one even though I can't pinpoint why.

So glad that I resisted Lobotomy, which is going to suffer bad language translation--and that's if the gameplay has any merit at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
14 Oct 2016 13:54 #236202 by charlest
Lobotomy had many more red flags IMO.

More
14 Oct 2016 14:09 #236209 by R.P.Kraul

charlest wrote: Lobotomy had many more red flags IMO.

A pity, too, because it uses some well established horror themes that are still rare in board games.

More
14 Oct 2016 16:30 #236222 by charlest
Spotted a big red flag here regarding English being poor. Updates have obvious issues but I noticed small typos on at least 4 components pictured on the KS. I'm likely out.

More
15 Oct 2016 00:41 - 15 Oct 2016 00:48 #236239 by Frohike
Those miniatures look nice, but I don't really see the charm of the game. Kinda Bioshock mixed with FFG Cthulhu, I guess? Seems derivative in a very specific, deliberate way, but the package doesn't appeal to me. Then again, I'm biased against my own acquisition impulse for this style of game at this point since I have too many of them on my shelves.
Last edit: 15 Oct 2016 00:48 by Frohike.

More
16 Oct 2016 10:37 - 16 Oct 2016 10:59 #236252 by Wetworks
Conan backers should be getting the game sometime in the next few weeks (about a year late). I was surprised to see it selling for $102 at Cool Stuff.

www.coolstuffinc.com/p/230940

I don't think it's worth it for the base game at that price, I got in at the early bird for $90 and we got over double the content of the base game. It's one of the reasons I late pledged for Dark Souls. I think that game will also not see much of a discount at retail if the prices for Guild Ball are anything to go by.
Last edit: 16 Oct 2016 10:59 by Wetworks.

More
18 Oct 2016 10:21 - 18 Oct 2016 10:22 #236385 by Wetworks
New Shadows of Brimstone kickstarter starting on Oct 31.

Another Kickstarter?!?

As mentioned in the last Update, when members of the Flying Frog team completed their Shadows of Brimstone KS work, they began rolling onto the next project… Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Fortress! By having this next project lined up, it meant that we could avoid down time for artists and sculptors between projects. In this way, doing a third Core Set for Shadows of Brimstone was a natural choice as it had all of the framework and game engine from the previous two Core Sets, but with some new mechanics, all new content, and a very cool and different theme, starting the Heroes in Feudal Japan.

We learned a lot from our first Kickstarter campaign, and while it was challenging, we are proud of the epic game line that was created. Not to mention the amazing community that came out of the Kickstarter and continues today. All of our experiences, lessons learned, and pipelines established have led to our new Kickstarter project for the next chapter in the world of Shadows of Brimstone.

Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Fortress

When we decided to do a third Core Set for Shadows of Brimstone, we wanted it to bring something new to the table, beyond simply new content. There have always been strong ties between Feudal Japan and the American Old West, so it seemed like a great way to expand what the world of Shadows of Brimstone is. Thus was born Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Fortress!

As a third Core Set for Shadows of Brimstone, Forbidden Fortress can either be played on its own, as a stand-alone game, or it can be used in combination with any and all of the other Shadows of Brimstone products! It is fully compatible, in every way!

Forbidden Fortress also adds a brand new OtherWorld on the back side of the Map Tiles… The Belly of the Beast! Backers from the original Brimstone Kickstarter may recognize this as an OtherWorld Stretch Goal that was not unlocked during the original campaign. When we started formalizing what would be in Forbidden Fortress, the idea of adding the Belly of the Beast as the OtherWorld on the back side of the tiles was a perfect fit! What could be more in keeping with the Japanese theme than allowing the Heroes to find their way through a portal that leads inside of an unspeakably massive creature; battling all sorts of living organs and parasites, and fighting off the Flesh Mites, Acid Blobs, and Parasitic Tentacles that inhabit this ‘living’ world.

Many of the new Enemies for Forbidden Fortress are inspired by traditional Japanese myth and legend, but with a Shadows of Brimstone feel to them. Creatures take the form of terrifying ghosts and Demons to make manifest the supernatural horrors of Feudal Japan.

But there are courageous Heroes to fight back this new evil that has invaded their world! The stalwart Samurai Warrior, using his mastery of the Katana and his code of honor to defeat his foes in combat, the nimble and deadly ninja Assassin, using stealth and speed as weapons, the Traveling Monk, a member of an ancient Yamabushi order devoted to fighting supernatural creatures that threaten our world, and the powerful and mystic Sorceress, who wields Elemental Magik to crush her enemies.

For new players, Forbidden Fortress will make a great introduction to the world of Shadows of Brimstone, and for veteran players, it can easily be treated as two brand new OtherWorlds, with a new set of Heroes and Enemies to add to your games. It also gives you the new option of starting your Heroes in Feudal Japan or the Old West, or mixing your Hero party for fantastic adventures. The possibilities are endless!

Once again, we would like to thank all of our original Shadows of Brimstone Backers for supporting the project and coming on this adventure with us. If you'd like to saddle up once again for another wild ride in the world of Shadows of Brimstone, the adventures continue in the land of the rising sun!

The Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Fortress Kickstarter launches on October 31st!

That's all for now! Happy Gaming

There's only 2 kickstarters I regret not backing, Kingdom Death and Shadows of Brimstone.
Last edit: 18 Oct 2016 10:22 by Wetworks.

More
18 Oct 2016 10:59 #236392 by JEM
Yep, I'm going to jump into this one. And then bitterly watch retail outpace fulfillment by months :D

More
18 Oct 2016 11:10 #236395 by hotseatgames
The latest stretch goal for Dungeon Degenerates gives me pause... $10k for 2 character sheets and a few cards. They don't have the volume of backers to justify such a gulf. It makes me concerned that they don't understand the economics of their project.

More
18 Oct 2016 14:13 #236405 by R.P.Kraul

JEM wrote: Yep, I'm going to jump into this one. And then bitterly watch retail outpace fulfillment by months :D

FF looks potentially incredible, but I fear getting involved in a campaign like SOB--Although there's a nice pot of the end of that rainbow, we're talking about a rainbow that stretches out for years.

More
18 Oct 2016 14:18 #236406 by JEM
I'm hoping they have learned lessons and have processes in place to make it all run smoother now. Even so, I'm not sure they're going to send out a box of everything to backers if they're intending to release expansions over the course of a year or two.

More
18 Oct 2016 15:02 #236408 by R.P.Kraul

JEM wrote: I'm hoping they have learned lessons and have processes in place to make it all run smoother now. Even so, I'm not sure they're going to send out a box of everything to backers if they're intending to release expansions over the course of a year or two.

Yeah, I certainly hope they leave some stuff for retail. Stretch goals and add-ons are great, but they can destroy timelines. That model of excess seems to work for CMON, who really don't seem to care about retail, but for a company trying to establish itself in retail--it doesn't make much sense.

More
18 Oct 2016 15:43 #236411 by Columbob
"Trying to establish"? Flying Frog have been around for years. That question "Another kickstarter?!?" answers everything about the new game but doesn't actually answer why they're going the KS route again, which I thought was what it would be. Aren't they an established company already? Last Night on Earth, Touch of Evil, etc.

Oh well, I guess cash up front is better than waiting for cash after making the game. Maybe that Indiana Jones game didn't sell nearly enough for them and they're now warier of making big games the traditional way.

More
18 Oct 2016 15:47 #236412 by JEM
I think Brimstone was their first step into assembled miniatures gaming, and possibly their first game without dubious LARP photo artwork. I'm guessing there's a lot of capital outlay on tooling up for mini production of that type, and of course, KS campaigns for these types of games are pretty well established as a way of raising funds.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.397 seconds